Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning another writer's feature screenplay into pilot

A writer I know proposed I work with her to turn one of her screenplays into a pilot. Basically, we would work together on how to adapt the material and then I would write the pilot. Anyone have advice on how to make a writing relationship like this work?

She also mentioned she would want "created by" credit, which seems right since it's adapted from her original material. But then what would be my role if we were able to get a studio bite? Would I get to be involved? Anyone done this before?

Re: Turning another writer's feature screenplay into pilot

Created by credit flows from the credit on the pilot script. If you put "story by her, teleplay by us," then she would be guaranteed credit. You'd be doing a lot of the work and giving up a huge part of the financial rewards.

If you weren't involved in the show (and it's a weird position, since she created the characters and the world, so I don't know what a network/studio's position would be on your involvement), you'd put in all that work for a relatively small payday. Plus, I think the whole thing looks weird and has the possibility of scaring off buyers.

The only way to protect yourself is to share (at least) story credit with her, thus guaranteeing yourself shared "created by" credit. If she doesn't want to do it, she should write the pilot herself, IMO.

I did this not long ago. A network bought a book and brought me into the project to work with the writer. We wrote it together, and the pilot credit was "Written by X and Jeff Lowell," meaning that had it gone to series, we both would have been creators.

If you're passionate about doing it, have a blast, but the odds of making the sale are reduced, and the odds of getting screwed are increased. All IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      Created by credit flows from the credit on the pilot script. If you put "story by her, teleplay by us," then she would be guaranteed credit. You'd be doing a lot of the work and giving up a huge part of the financial rewards.

If you weren't involved in the show (and it's a weird position, since she created the characters and the world, so I don't know what a network/studio's position would be on your involvement), you'd put in all that work for a relatively small payday. Plus, I think the whole thing looks weird and has the possibility of scaring off buyers.

The only way to protect yourself is to share (at least) story credit with her, thus guaranteeing yourself shared "created by" credit. If she doesn't want to do it, she should write the pilot herself, IMO.

I did this not long ago. A network bought a book and brought me into the project to work with the writer. We wrote it together, and the pilot credit was "Written by X and Jeff Lowell," meaning that had it gone to series, we both would have been creators.

If you're passionate about doing it, have a blast, but the odds of making the sale are reduced, and the odds of getting screwed are increased. All IMO.
      Thanks Jeff. Does seem like a lot of work and still not be sure I'd be involved later. And making time for it between gigs would be difficult. But I want to get experience in TV and not be limited to features. Sounds like it might not help me much in this situation. Or would it? Do you think it would create solid opportunities? Maybe it would be good on that level...

Comment

Since you're asking for advice, I think if you want to get into TV, you should write your own pilot. With this one, you won't even be able to show it as a sample.

As with all advice, YMMV.

Comment

Working...
        X