No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get Him to the Greek

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
    Ha. You know - you're right. But, still, Brand is so watchable. The other stuff - for once I didn't care about it. Maybe because the women were so cartoonish - no effort at all to make them "real" which a lot of blokey comedies do. Sweet, likeable, smart, girl next door as the love interest - but still shadows of existence, rather than rounded characters... Whereas Get Him didn't even try. Just silly cardboard cut-outs with about fifteen minutes airtime, total.

Still, doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

I can't explain it. He's fabulous. He makes me laugh a lot and I don't even care that women are objectified in his films. (Which, admittedly, he didn't write.) Maybe because he's such a mockery of himself...?

I'm at a loss. But I adore him. (In an entirely non-sexual way. I save that particular fantasy for Eddie Vedder.)
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with that. But, see "Arthur", it might cure you of this infatuation.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
      I do not find him even remotely attractive. Aside from the fact that he is not physically attractive to me, he reminds me of that kid in class who makes a joke that other kids laugh at, so he makes the same joke again and again, then continues to make stupid jokes trying to recreate that laughter because it makes him feel liked, disrupting class until the teacher slams her head into a wall.

I hate that kid.
      C'mon, deep down you want to hit that. You just don't want to break the sacred student-and-teacher relationship... or go to prison (joke disclaimer: I'm assuming you teach high-schoolers).

Comment

Speak of the devil - he was on American Idol last night.
        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
          Hey, there's nothing wrong with that. But, see "Arthur", it might cure you of this infatuation.
          I think you're right. Which is why I won't see it.

But just to clarify - @Emily. I do not think he's good looking or handsome AT ALL. And I bet he'd be a **** to be around all the time. Would drive you insane with his relentless narcisssism and desperate desire to be funny. (Thought this is probably true of all comedians. )

But his performances, in a contained space - interview, film, TV, etc. - are hilarious to me. Really frigging funny. Which is about as subjective and as inexplicable a reason as any. But it's all I've got, alas.
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            I do not find him even remotely attractive. Aside from the fact that he is not physically attractive to me, he reminds me of that kid in class who makes a joke that other kids laugh at, so he makes the same joke again and again, then continues to make stupid jokes trying to recreate that laughter because it makes him feel liked, disrupting class until the teacher slams her head into a wall.

I hate that kid.

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
              I think you're right. Which is why I won't see it.

But just to clarify - @Emily. I do not think he's good looking or handsome AT ALL. And I bet he'd be a **** to be around all the time. Would drive you insane with his relentless narcisssism and desperate desire to be funny. (Thought this is probably true of all comedians. )

But his performances, in a contained space - interview, film, TV, etc. - are hilarious to me. Really frigging funny. Which is about as subjective and as inexplicable a reason as any. But it's all I've got, alas.
              Agree with this. I get why some women might find him attractive, but I just like him because he's smart, funny, and strange.
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by cshel View Post
                ...I just like him because he's smart, funny, and strange.
                That sounds like "attractive" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Donreel View Post
                  That sounds like "attractive" to me.
                  I think what this means is, we think he's engaging to watch, but have no desire to kiss him. At all.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

So,

Did anyone here actually see ARTHUR?

I'm seriously curious what anyone here has to say with a review.

Jeff Shurtleff
                    "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post
                      So,

Did anyone here actually see ARTHUR?

I'm seriously curious what anyone here has to say with a review.

Jeff Shurtleff

It wasn't nearly as good as the first, but Russell Brand does a creditable Dudley Moore. He obviously tried his best to copy Moore's brilliance from the first movie, a wise decision. I hated the chick.
                      Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                        But I will say the Russell Brand I've heard in interviews seems like a highly intelligent, beyond candid maniac who has an insane way with words and no shame in his game. I can dig it.
                        +1 I think it goes well beyond 'seems', though.

Comment

He's clearly a polarizing figure. Love or hate, there seems to be very little middle ground. Personally I think he's a riot. Loved The Greek. I like that his humor showcases a love for words and an above average intelligence. And he balances a difficult mix of cool rock and roll swagger and touching vulnerability imo.

Plus, dare I say, his music in both Sarah Marshall and the Greek is super catchy. His "Today Show" performance of THE CLAP was a highlight I thought. And how can you not laugh at / with INSIDE OF ME??

Yep I'm a fan. Brand and Hill were a hilarious duo as far as I'm concerned. I'd vote for a three-quel hands down.

Comment

Old as Ancient Skies
                            I've had these wondering eyes
                            But you took me by surprise when you let me inside of you

Inside of you
                            Inside of you
                            There's got to be
                            Some part of me
                            Inside of you

God, I love FSM!! If you haven't read the script, you should. A lot of little differences from the actual film.

I love when Brand asks Kunis if she's seen his other shoe.

Comment

Oh. And Jonah Hill's a made man now; he'll never do it.

Comment

How about in GREEK when Brand talks about "rebuilding" the relationship with Hill 5 minutes after they first met? Or his album being the most devastating thing to happen to Africa since apartheid?

Comment

Working...
                                X