No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Man 3 - New Trailer

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
    Oh, and I feel like at some point somebody needs to single out Gwyneth Paltrow's abs of frickin' steel for some well deserved praise.
    "Abs of steel"? Ugh. Matter of taste, I suppose. I'm partial to the softer look -- say, Jennifer Lawrence a few films back, or Jennifer Connelly circa Career Opportunities, or Kate Winslet in Titanic.

As for the darkness issue, the lighter touch of films like the Donner Superman flicks was warranted when 6-year-olds were the primary audience for superhero movies. Given that these days these movies serve a young-adult demographic, and include twenty-, thirty- and even forty-somethings, the move to darker storylines is sound and necessary.

Many superhero movies that take a lighter, more kid-oriented touch (Singer's Superman, the Schumacher Batman flicks) or go half-dark, half-lighter in tone (Green Lantern) underperform, while those that go all-out serious do well (the Dark Knight movies). It's what the target audience wants to see -- understandably so. There's a place for some deadpan humor in these films, perhaps, but not for kiddie campiness.

Comment

Look, Gwynnie's priveleged hippie chick tendencies annoy me as much as the next guy, but before this film I didn't realize how much her body absolutely rocks. Thanks to Shane Black for shining a light on that.

And yeah, I get it...I understand why they do it and I personally have enjoyed the films...but I still wish my kid could have an experience like I had when seeing Donner's Superman or the original Star Wars trilogy in the theater for the first time. My son seemed to enjoy the part of Ironman he was awake for but I guarantee he totally forgets about it in a day or two.

STAR WARS and SUPERMAN (especially II) and the like have stayed with me over the longhaul.
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

It has it's flaws but still entertaining. I'd say it was better than 2 at least. Definitely more for a casual fan though, I was expecting it to stick closer to Extremis but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm curious how Iron Man 4 will shape up without RDJ.

Comment

For my money, Ben Kingsley was easily the best part of this movie.

I wonder, though; with the Mandarin being such a Bin Laden-like figure in the beginning and then turning out to be, in the best line of the movie, "Sir Lawrence Oblivier," does Black want the audience to wonder about, or even believe, that the real Bin Laden is also an actor named Trevor in the employ of a cabal of weapons salesman who profit from chronic global conflict fueled by artificial "terror" panic?

Tip o' the hat for that, Shane.

Comment

I liked the first Iron Man a lot, but in my opinion the series has gotten progressively worse.

Sometimes less is more and sometimes more is less. More explosions and flying robots doesn't necessarily result in a better movie. The relatively small scale showdown between Downey and Jeff Bridges in the finale of the first film was more exciting to me than the tanker theatrics of this one. I got bored and tuned out of that whole set piece.

Too much crap flying around the screen and the movie loses its grounding in reality. At that point you might as well be watching a fireworks display.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
              I liked the first Iron Man a lot, but in my opinion the series has gotten progressively worse.

Sometimes less is more and sometimes more is less. More explosions and flying robots doesn't necessarily result in a better movie. The relatively small scale showdown between Downey and Jeff Bridges in the finale of the first film was more exciting to me than the tanker theatrics of this one. I got bored and tuned out of that whole set piece.

Too much crap flying around the screen and the movie loses its grounding in reality. At that point you might as well be watching a fireworks display.
              yep

Comment

I didn't love The Avengers, but if you cut together the scenes with Stark/Ironman you still get a better Ironman movie than this. As Walter Hill would say,

I
                Was
                So
                Bored

I remember watching The Avengers and thinking how the character of Stark/Ironman, and particularly Robert Downey Jr.'s incarnation of it, must be such a comedy goldmine for a writer, must be so easy to write puns and punchlines and just seriously cool bits of dialogue. I guess I was really wrong, because this movie was so not funny. Not a single joke hit home with me.

I don't know if my expectations were too high. I doubt they were, but maybe.

I have a whole new level of respect for Joss Whedon. There were many scenes in The Avengers that I found to be badly directed, campy and tv-like, mostly in the first half of the movie. And yet, that movie was never boring. When that movie was visually impressive, it was also cool to watch, not just overwhelming.

If Ironman wasn't my childhood's favorite comic book superhero, I'd probably rate this movie down there with The Dark Knight Rises.

Comment

Empty suits may make tons of money for studios, but they also make for dull action with low stakes.

Iron Man as action hero without the suit for much of the action, boring.

Comment

Working...
                  X