No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Artist

Originally posted by ATB View Post
    Or who prefer sound. I mean, the f#ck are you talking about?

We're 80+ years out of the silent film era. People not wanting to see a silent film aren't ignorant to "how storytelling for the screen works."
    I'm talking about function. You are talking about popularity.

It's okay not to like it, but not understanding it to a point where you don't even realize what the story is actually about, that's something else entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
      They describe the protagonist as a "carefree narcissist" who falls "into professional ruin brought about by his stubborn refusal to change with the times."

Sounds like some of the same criticism I heard here, except they also called it one of the best films of the year.
      It also sounds like an allegory for Hollywood itself, these days.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

thought this was amazing!

Comment

I enjoyed it as a nicely-produced throwback gimmick and as a moderately entertaining melodrama. I sure didn't take it seriously as a character study. Its deliberately antiquated style and occasional winks at the audience prevented that. If the movie actually were exhibited during the silent era, it might have been taken seriously as a tragic tale at that time, but today it comes across as only....a winking gimmick, handsomely mounted.

I agree with Tochirta's comments:

The movie was "formulaic" in the way "it tackles the dated subject" and it was "too cutesy and nostalgic to really delve into a tale of redemption.....it felt predictable and basic."

Spoiler---
          Regarding Valentin: his problem seemed entirely self-inflicted, so I viewed him with both pity and contempt. The twist at the end seemed to show that the Goodman character's position at the beginning of the story was unbelievable. Goodman was apparently willing to let Valentin make talkies. The movie could not show the more likely scenario in which Goodman tells Valentin: we can't use you anymore because of your accent. That would eliminate the possibility of the cute twist at the end. So the entire story--in retrospect--was built on the unbelievable or unlikely premise that Mr. Big Producer would allow Valentin to make talkies, but Valentin stubbornly refused to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Donreel View Post
            Spoiler---

So the entire story--in retrospect--was built on the unbelievable or unlikely premise that Mr. Big Producer would allow Valentin to make talkies, but Valentin stubbornly refused to do it.
            I don't think so. Valentin came into the studio, and they let him know that he didn't have a job anymore. Notice he wasn't on the poster crowing about the new stars at the studio.

HH

Comment

Melodrama? Sunset Boulevard? The Wrestler?
              "Story should be dark?" "Tone was too light."

The Artist was a comedy.

Comment

A Funny or Die skit that has actor Jean Dujardin (Valentin) auditioning for every villain role after his success on THE ARTIST:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6cd...ons?rel=player

Hilarious

Comment

Finally caught this one and enjoyed it a lot. Not a great film by any means, but Dujardin is sensational.
                  TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Ugh. I agree with you, Tochirta. Totally predictable. Totally boring. Sure, the lead actor is charming enough, but we're supposed to be storytellers here, and how many variations of "A Star is Born" do you have to see to know where this story is going?

But obviously us naysayers are in the minority here. No prob, I'm used to it. I also hate "Glee."

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                      Finally caught this one and enjoyed it a lot. Not a great film by any means, but Dujardin is sensational.
                      Dujardin has been a fav since he channeled Connery in the same director's OSS117 spoofs.
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by wildswan View Post
                        [...] we're supposed to be storytellers here, and how many variations of "A Star is Born" do you have to see to know where this story is going?
                        And how many variations of "Kiss Me Deadly" (anti-hero gets crossed) or "The Most Dangerous Game" (people hunt each other as entertainment) or "It Happened One Night" (proto-romcom) do we need?

If you've seen enough movies, you can trace any story in the multiplex to an early antecedent, or hell, even just to the basic elements of conflict..."The Grey" is so fundamentally man vs. nature that it could have been penned by Jack London.

Every story is its own beast. Getting hung up on narrative echoes instead of enjoying a piece for its own unique voice just means you're biasing yourself out of getting your time or money's worth.
                        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                          Every story is its own beast. Getting hung up on narrative echoes instead of enjoying a piece for its own unique voice just means you're biasing yourself out of getting your time or money's worth.
                          Not "hung up" of "biasing myself" at all -- just pointing out the main reason why this thing put me to sleep. I had heard great things about this movie and went with high expectations, wanting to love it, so I was very disappointed. And mind you, I've often turned to pure blubber at the end of a great love story, so not a cynic at all. Just the opposite.

But you liked this movie? Good for you! You and most of the world, it seems. To each his own.

Personally, I'm in Tochirta's camp.

Comment

Working...
                          X