Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quentin Tarantino's Next Project....

Originally posted by Archduke View Post
    My phrasing wasn't dangerous. I said in an earlier post that it is kind of distasteful. Imagine if someone wrote this story.

Jack Mason was one of the top international business in New York, and when I say top I mean top. He worked on floor 101 of the World Trade Center. You could say he had it made. One morning like any other Jack went to work, dropped his kid off at the WTC daycare and headed up to the floor 101 to get to his daily business. But then suddenly, WHAM! the first plane hits. It's madness everywhere! Explosions! People burning to death! People Jumping out of the towers! Action! Excitement! But luckily Jack thinks quickly and manages to find some silk curtains and fashion together a makeshift parachute. Just as the structure is about to give way Jack jumps from the window and miraculously glides through the debris cloud to safety.

But his young son Timothy was not so lucky. Jack curses fate and swears his never ending Vendetta against Al Qaeda. He liquidates all his assets and uses to put together a state of the art Commando squad, complete with wisecracking nerdy guy and big'n'tough black dude.

He fights in Afghanistan as a military contractor kicking ass and taking Terrorist names until he is a world class elite super soldier. Utilizing his now super deadly assassin skills and state of the art equipment he becomes Al Qaeda's worst nightmare as he systematically hunts them down like animals in the wild Afghan mountains. He kills his way up the chain of command with the hopes of one day fulfilling his vendetta and satiating his unsatisfiable blood lust!
    America fuck yea!

I think that this could work actually,. Its all about tone. Imagine if this was made by Matt and Trey or Michael Gondry or Wes Anderson, it would work in a quirky way. Or it could work as a satire like Tropic Thunder.

Comment

if you think it's empowering to African-Americans, maybe you should check out an African-American perspective (who has read the script):

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...inly_not_nat_/

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
        I'm curious, do you all feel reading the script before the movie ruins the movie-going experience for you? I typically wait to read until after I've seen the flick.
        Ditto. Likewise I can't understand why people will run to watch a blurry pirate copy of a much anticipated, grandiose extravaganza - like The Phantom Menace and Tron Legacy - than wait for it to his the theatres.

Comment

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
          Ditto. Likewise I can't understand why people will run to watch a blurry pirate copy of a much anticipated, grandiose extravaganza - like The Phantom Menace and Tron Legacy - than wait for it to his the theatres.
          Well that's different. Reading the script is a different experience that watching the movie. They function differently. It's like saying I dont know why someone would spoil the experience of going to Italy and standing in front of The David by reading about David in the bible. I see the screenplay, especially a QT screenplay as a completely separate experience, and a completely separate medium and art. Sure, the screenplay has the intent of being translated to sound and pictures projected at 24 frames a second, but a really great screenplay is an artform in and of itself.

Comment

just heard on Kevin Smith's morning podcast/interview with Michael K. Williams (Omar on the The Wire and Chalky White on Boardwalk Empire) that Michael read the script and really wants to be in the film. He wants Kevin to pass along his intent to Tarantino.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffkantoku View Post
              just heard on Kevin Smith's morning podcast/interview with Michael K. Williams (Omar on the The Wire and Chalky White on Boardwalk Empire) that Michael read the script and really wants to be in the film. He wants Kevin to pass along his intent to Tarantino.
              ^^^
              That Michael K. Williams interview is great.
              Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Originally posted by jeffkantoku View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuRRhtGQw

Comment

I honestly love the idea of Michael K. Williams as Django even more so than Will Smith. It would be great if it happens, but the question becomes will the studio bank roll a film with Williams in the lead? I'm now hoping somehow things fall into place so that Williams ends up in the part.
                  Last edited by RyanJackson; 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM.
                  Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

COSIGN on everything Killgore and RyanJackson said.

I read this script and loved every word of it. From page one you can really visualize this story through QT's eyes and these 168 pages read like 90. Really an amazing piece of work. I see Jamie Foxx as Django. IMHO, the "N-words" in the action-writing seemed appropriate. QT writes in the language of the world he's presenting. He puts words into the minds of the characters. Like when the Mandingo slaves see Django kick major slaver ass then think, "Who is this n_____?" This is part of the action writing but it puts a look on these guys' faces that's priceless! No doubt though, this film is gonna divide audiences. Like POLAR IZE! I see fights in theaters I really do. There are lines of dialogue here that will illicit laughter from people and it shouldn't. These people will be called out by others. I can just see it. I actually recommend reading the script first, just to be prepared, to know what you're getting into because this is gonna be some powerful sh!t. It's a perfect bookend to INGLORIOIUS BASTERDS because he is vindicating another persecuted minority group through film. This here is Oscar material.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Read it, wasn't crazy about it. Liked the idea of him branching away from his "norm" (if you could consider anything about this whimsical lunatic normal). I think it will make for an interesting piece of film, but I agree wholeheartedly with the comments before; there is way too much in the way of re-writes for Will Smith to ever take on the role of Django.

I'd be interested to find out who started these Smith-to-Django rumors, because I doubt they read past the first 10-pages if they read it at all.
                      "When you come out of medical school, you're a doctor. When you come out of law school, you're a lawyer. When you come out of film school, you're a waiter." - Jon Turtletaub

Comment

@Kristoffer: What is your favorite QT movie?

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                          @Kristoffer: What is your favorite QT movie?
                          In this order from favorite to least:

Jackie Brown
                          Reservoir Dogs
                          Kill Bill (1/2)
                          Inglorious Basterds
                          Pulp Fiction

Not making the list:

Deathproof
                          "Motherhood" episode of ER

------

Don't get me wrong, in cinema he is a mesmerizing auteur, but completely full of himself. And for that, he receives a much harsher criticism than someone who can step back from the exaggerate-ego boost cliché.
                          "When you come out of medical school, you're a doctor. When you come out of law school, you're a lawyer. When you come out of film school, you're a waiter." - Jon Turtletaub

Comment

I understand your criticism of Tarantino, but I think it is unfair to hold one director up to harsher scrutiny because you don't like his personality. Shouldn't it be based specifically on the work? Do you hold the same criteria to Polanski, Woody Allen, Lars von Trier, Malick and Mel Gibson? All of whom have made amazing works of film but are questionable in society? Either way, thanks for clarifying!

My QT list is kind of close to yours:

Jackie Brown (definitely my favorite)
                            Reservoir Dogs
                            Inglorious Basterds
                            Pulp Fiction
                            Deathproof (theatrical)
                            Kill Bill (1/2)
                            "The Man From Hollywood" sketch in FOUR ROOMS (you forgot this one!)

I never saw the entire "Motherhood" episode of ER because it looked like every other episode of ER, and I fvcking hate ER.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

I liked the two episodes of CSI he did called "Grave Danger", pretty intense stuff there...
                              "We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.-- The Late Great Bill Hicks...

Comment

I also forgot "My Best Friends Birthday".

----

I don't hold anything against him personally, just that it breathes too much into the script. When I read things like "cue Cool music" (somewhere around page 150) it starts to become ridiculous. Especially that we can't forget that he is also a screenwriter.

Never would I let the work be dictated by who the personality is behind its creation; and on the other hand I'm sure none of these works would have been as good as if he wasn't who he is.

Comment

Working...
                                X