Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC Writers on the Verge emails went out

this year they're asking for a second sample.

http://kiyongkim.com/2017/07/31/2017...notifications/
    http://kiyongkim.com

Re: NBC Writers on the Verge emails went out

Interesting...I think most of the others ask for a second sample (either spec or original), which makes sense IMO. If you're investing in a writer with the hope of a long-haul return, you want to make sure they have more than one good script in them.

I saw an interview with Karen Kirkland about the Nickelodeon program where she said a big part of why they ask is to make sure that you're serious about writing.

Of course, if they weren't asking for samples before and now they are, it does make me wonder what prompted the change.

Comment

They should have it more like a screenwriting contest. Some of these ask for references from someone in the industry. That's why they might miss on certain writers like Evan Daugherty.

Comment

Yup, one of my favorite clients just made the QFs and asked me to help her pick a second sample. Good luck to everyone in the running!

This makes complete sense to me. Any manager or agent considering you would want to see a second piece of material. Nobody wants to sign a one-hit wonder.
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

Has anyone heard back about phone interviews yet?

Comment

So, I saw someone post on a Screenwriting reddit thread that calls have been going out for the last two weeks for NBC. That writer mentioned that he'd seen a post from a semifinalist on the LA TV Writers Facebook group, but when I looked at that group's discussions from the last two weeks, I only saw posts about the request for a second script from NBC (which one person mistakenly called the semifinal round, when it was actually the quarterfinal round) and one post where someone got a CBS phone interview. No idea where this guy saw that posting.

Has anyone heard about calls going out already for NBC? I know like 10 other writers who made the quarterfinals, and none of us have heard anything. Guess we're out of the running?

It makes sense that calls would have gone out already, since NBC has announced the winners between 9/9 and 9/11 in the last few years...but with the addition of a second script from the top 5%, I was just hoping that maybe calls hadn't gone out yet.

Comment

I am (or was) a quarterfinalist and haven't heard anything either. Hoping they're still making calls, but starting to feel like we're just out.

When she asked for the release for the second sample did you get an "out of office" reply as well? I felt like they were really responsive but then never got an actual confirmation after I sent the release.

Fingers still crossed for us! I'll come post here if I hear anything.

Comment

Looks like they started interviews last week. Oh well. Get 'em next year!

Comment

Are they second samples a spec or an original? I hope it's an original.

Comment

The second samples were original pilots. Something to think about for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunelm View Post
                      The second samples were original pilots. Something to think about for next year.
                      Oh, that's great. I'd prefer it to be originals anyway. Thanks!

Comment

Do you guys know what the 2 short essay questions NBC writers on the verge are referring to?

Comment

Working...
                        X