Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing a Synopsis of Your Script

Can anyone point me to a nice, clean, strong, lucid, impactful example?

I have to write one for my script and I've never done it before and am mildly flummoxed by the idea. I can see falling into a "and then" trap, which I suspect is no bueno.

(I actually write script synopses for my bosses all the time but they're very meat and potatoes and no one's expecting them to approach artful, etc. What I write for mine has to sing and seduce and impress.)

In any event, if someone can steer me to a strong example I'd be much obliged.

Six

Re: Writing a Synopsis of Your Script

There's an example of one here on DD I'm sure. They have an examples tab somewhere on the front.

Don't sweat the tools like a synopsis or a treatment or an outline. They are just ways to flesh out the story. If you are doing it for a class or sometimes a producer or a manager may ask for one, then what a synopsis gives the reader is a great idea of the situation the entire concept is wrapped around. How did the situation form, how does it escalate, what are the stakes? Who is the main character and what do they stand to win or lose. You give the broad strokes of the story. It's the macro POV of the story, the birds eye view, maybe a few paragraphs long. A good place to start is to say you will write one paragraph for each mental breaking point you have in the story. Start there. Then see if more or less paragraphs work best and figure out the order of what you want to say and how best to say it. You want that reader coming away with a good sense of tone, character, and structure.

Comment

Here's an example from Done Deal of a synopsis and coverage:

http://www.donedealpro.com/members/d...&section_id=13

But I'm not sure if that's what you're really asking. (?)

A while back I had a production company ask for a synopsis and spent a weekend coming up with one and felt like a fool -- they really only wanted a paragraph and I'd done some elaborate thing listing the theme and every turning point and on and on...

If your person could clarify to you how long he expected it to be even, it would help you out more, I think.

Good luck.

Comment

All movies at IMDB have a synopsis section.
        Just read a few and take the one you like the most as a model.

Look for Plot Synopsis under Storyline:
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/...ry_pl#synopsis
        Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by 14001 View Post
          All movies at IMDB have a synopsis section.
          Just read a few and take the one you like the most as a model.

Look for Plot Synopsis under Storyline:
          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/...ry_pl#synopsis
          So... apparently I've been doing it wrong. My synopsises (sp?) have been much shorter than this. This is truly fleshed out, point by point.

Looks like I have some rewriting to do.

Comment

I doubt that any particular length for a synopsis is standard in the film business. Also, a synopsis is not a treatment, which has a lot more detail.

A page or two, single-spaced, should be sufficient. You just want to tell the outline of the story. Think of it as a summary, not as a condensed account of the events in all or most of the scenes. Of course, if you write a really detailed summary, then you could still call it a synopsis. But the point is that you do not have to write what amounts to a treatment to have a good synopsis.

FYI:
            Synopsis is singular.
            Synopses is plural. The *e* is long, as in *fee*.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Are you writing this synopsis before the script or after?

Originally posted by sixridgeroad View Post
              Can anyone point me to a nice, clean, strong, lucid, impactful example?

I have to write one for my script and I've never done it before and am mildly flummoxed by the idea. I can see falling into a "and then" trap, which I suspect is no bueno.

(I actually write script synopses for my bosses all the time but they're very meat and potatoes and no one's expecting them to approach artful, etc. What I write for mine has to sing and seduce and impress.)

In any event, if someone can steer me to a strong example I'd be much obliged.

Six

Comment

Working...
              X