No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your take on the long take....

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to start a post about long takes. I personally like them. In today's films with so many quick edits and fast pace a nice long take is refreshing.

So I wanted to post a few of my faves and see what everyone here thinks about the long take and what are some of your favorites out there.

Some of my faves are:

Goodfellas--into the club scene
    Children of Men--where he goes into the building and comes out with the baby and all the fighting stops till he gets out
    Jaws--where they are on the ferry talking about closing the beach.
    Halloween--the opening scene from the kid's view
    Rope--whole thing
    Touch of Evil--opening

Re: Your take on the long take....

OPEN WATER

THE GRADUATE when Ben is hell-bent on finding Elaine before she gets married.

the late scene in SLINGBLADE when (SPOILERS).......Karl kills Doyle. the movie was like one long, interesting, bizarre take leading up to that horrific moment. that movie was like watching a Mister Rogers episode which went terribly off the tracks. sweater. sneakers. and a kaiser blade.
    Last edited by AnconRanger; 08-01-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

The Player, written by Michael Tolkin and directed by Robert Altman, sets up the story, the backstory, the main plots, the subplots, and the theme all in one long tracking shot. Wow!
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-02-2017, 06:12 PM.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

John Woo's Hard Boiled. If you've seen the movie, you know the scene.

Atomic Blonde also has a ~9 minute unbroken fight scene, although I'm not sure if that counts since it's cheated via FX and clever editing (similar to Birdman).

Comment

may not fit in well with the discussion, but DOG DAY AFTERNOON seemed like a long scene. as it kept going, could sense more and more that it was going to be a tragic one. good movie.

Comment

The agonizing and excruciatingly lengthy rape scene of Monica Bellucci’s character “Alex” in Irreversible.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Woody Allen likes to do long, carefully choreographed takes. I read somewhere that he spends hours setting them up, then boom, gets it done in one take. Personally, I love them.

Two that come to mind both involve the amazing Dianne Weist: one hilarious scene in BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, and another scene in HANNAH AND HER SISTERS. Good stuff.

Also: BEFORE SUNSET is full of really, really long takes.

Comment

Working...
              X