No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sexual orientations?

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
    I have a pair of undercover cops/feds(?) of mixed gender. Early on I have the girl introduce her newly assigned male partner to a female friend. The two girls kiss in a way suggestive of a little more than just friendship going on between them.

No further plans to inroduce anything other than that in the story, and I'm hoping this simply adds a little depth & colour to my character's personality.
    sometimes action flicks have a bit of comic relief. you could have this kiss and then her male partner gives her this look. she's like, "what?!" and he says, "i was going to set you up with my brother. you're just his type. he knows all about you." and then in a follow up scene at at bbq his brother thinks he's been given the go ahead... lol!

funny thing about mel gibson - he also works with and makes friends with black people (danny glover and whoopi goldberg), and jews fund his movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
      Network TV has a lot of gay characters too, it's not just cable (WILL AND GRACE, BROTHERS AND SISTERS, GREY'S ANATOMY) and you even see them kiss from time to time. But, these are also shows that are about relationships.

I agree that if there's no relationship subplot in your action script (for instance, typical B story about male cop's strained relationship with his wife due to long hours, exposure to danger, etc), then why put something in your script that may make it less marketable and doesn't have much to do with the story? I mean it's no big deal, but if you're asking yourself the question, then you're probably not sure about it, and if it really doesn't have anything to do with the story then I would say scratch it. You can go write your own BOUND after you collect the cash on this one
      Good point. From what I've heard about some states, anything off the beaten track wouldn't be received too well. One of my bi friends says she feels a little isolated (when she was a kid anyway) because she doesn't have a double-barrelled first name. And as for being bi... well...

ALso reading some reviews of the TV program "The L word" makes me realise just how 'debated' the subject can become.

Maybe I should just write a nice safe little script about fondue parties?
      "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

Good point. From what I've heard about some states, anything off the beaten track wouldn't be received too well. One of my bi friends says she feels a little isolated (when she was a kid anyway) because she doesn't have a double-barrelled first name. And as for being bi... well...

ALso reading some reviews of the TV program "The L word" makes me realise just how 'debated' the subject can become.

Maybe I should just write a nice safe little script about fondue parties?
        Oh my lord, do not use the L Word as your guide !! Seriously, that was really graphic sex with a bunch of lesbians (although most actresses were straight, apparently, except for one, so that does show what actors are willing to do for a role, at least on TV), that was aimed at a pretty specific market --although I'm sure girl on girl generated a lot of interest from, um, more than one market...

But no, no comparison! Having one character casually kiss a woman does NOT equal a whole show about graphic lesbian sex and lesbian relationships!!

The question is, are you going to make a big deal about it? Hollywood is not timid, Hollywood is about money. So HW can absolutely show women having graphic sex on a cable network, or make a film about lesbians, that's not the point, HW pushes the envelope constantly. It's all about the money.

So in an action flick, ask yourself whether it actually contributes to the story or not. Because as others have said, you're trying to reach a global audience with that genre, so if a 10 second lesbian kiss that isn't essential to the story is going to put the commercial prospects in danger, well hell dude, get rid of the kiss !

That said, it could also be kind of cool...

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
          that was really graphic sex with a bunch of lesbians
          /goes to put The L Word in his Netflix queue and becomes catatonic when he discovers it's available for streaming

Comment

I'd say if you have her hooking up with the partner later on, then it's pretty cliche.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

many police departments don't even allow fraternizing between male and female officers. it's gonna be a stretch to have a department allow bi or gay females to display affection openly.

maybe an occassional loving eye contact during the shift, then a discrete rendezvous at one of their apartments with more explicite contact.

Comment

My question would be - what does this have to do with your story?

Fleshing out a character gives you a great chance to explore theme or some other element that is connected to your specific story - why just paste on something from the outside that has nothing to do with your story?

When I do my class I usually use REAR WINDOW as an example - because every character including the non-speaking roles illustrate a different aspect of marriage and relationships. I've also used THE MATRIX and LIAR LIAR and DIE HARD and a bunch of other films. All of the characters in LIAR LIAR show a different aspect of telling the truth (or telling a lie). That way, just by showing up, a character can be examining the theme. And when you have 2 cops, you can use the contrast between them to explore theme or to use to explore some other story element. Look at the partners in LETHAL WEAPON - one is a family man, one has lost his family and is a suicidal loner. The case they are on is the death of a friend's *daughter* - his only family.

I hate to just link something, but it's been a hot, ugly day... so here is a script tip:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/tip196.htm

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Well, I'm starting to see more of a story now. Something along the lines of "An unlikely undercover duo have to infiltrate and elliminate a psudo religious sect thst is using sex and blackmail to coerce its members to assinate (*undecided* people)".

If I'm gonna try and contrast Eva's simple and honest expression of her sexuality against this sect's savage exploitation of sex then just a simple kiss might not be enough, I'm thinking. Or maybe it shouldn't be there at all...?

But - OH GOD - please deliver me from having her partner 'turning her back to the straight and narrow', james bond style.

So - does it sound workable?

Thanks for all the input so far, everbody
                  Last edited by Steven Jenkins; 09-28-2010, 02:14 AM.

Comment

If you're gonna have someone assinate someone else, make sure it's for a story reason and not simple sexual shock value.

Comment

Well, I'm starting to see more of a story now. Something along the lines of "An unlikely undercover duo have to infiltrate and elliminate a psudo religious sect thst is using sex and blackmail to coerce its members to assinate (*undecided* people)".

If I'm gonna try and contrast Eva's simple and honest expression of her sexuality against this sect's savage exploitation of sex then just a simple kiss might not be enough, I'm thinking. Or maybe it shouldn't be there at all...?

But - OH GOD - please deliver me from having her partner 'turning her back to the straight and narrow', james bond style.

So - does it sound workable?

Thanks for all the input so far, everbody
                      I think you should reread Martell's post above and his link.

If she just happens to be gay or bi, what does it have to do with the main story? There are gay cops, firemen, soldiers of both genders who do their jobs every day and their sexuality has nothing to do with it.

However ... if this religious sect is assassinating gay people who prefer to stay in the closet -- essentially outing them through murder -- and your protag has been hiding her own sexuality from coworkers, then you may have something.

Because now she has an internal struggle related to the main plot.

But just having a random kiss that's never referred to again is a bit of a disconnect, IMO.
                      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Well - I haven't got any fine story details yet, just a possible idea that I'm exploring. It might evolve into something completely different yet, I have no idea.

But the assassination of closets is a possibility, especially if somebody important is under threat - like maybe the president's son or daughter for instance...?

But I'm seeing my bi heoine returning home after some harrowing emotional/sexual experiences during the story and having a tender welcome from her gf. And her partner who returns to his empty house. Maybe that's a bit twee though? I just want her to be bi or gay - but I may have been a little influenced by watching the swedish version of "the girl with the dragon tattoo" movie. Whatever, she likes girls and she's in my story, so I want to make it work..

I'm after an intense emotional mood in this, with sex as a kind of backdrop. I have a particular carnivalesque location in mind, with a deffinite - and what looks so far like a unique - twist to a rather trendy cultural manifestation thingy, which is my hook I'll see how it goes.

Oops - Thanks to Bill for the tip If I have a theme so far its looking like the exploration of sexual attitudes, but it could change.
                        Last edited by Steven Jenkins; 09-28-2010, 06:07 AM.

Comment

have you seen this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084477/
                          ryan o'oneal must go undercover with his gay partner john hurt to sniff out a murderer in the gay community (or something like that) but even back then they police force use john hurt's sexual status as an asset.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                            have you seen this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084477/
                            ryan o'oneal must go undercover with his gay partner john hurt to sniff out a murderer in the gay community (or something like that) but even back then they police force use john hurt's sexual status as an asset.
                            Thanks NG I'll try and track it down.

Comment

Sexual orientation should be treated the same as every other aspect of your story - it has to be in there for a specific reason. You shouldn't make someone gay just for the hell of it. Do it for a plot-related reason if you want it to work.

Comment

Understand what you're saying. But we all want to write stories about macho heroes, horses, killer fish, submarines, death or whatever just for the hell of it at the outset, then try to find a story to fit. This is where I am right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X