No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Secret service dilemma?

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
    I know a guy who's an agent, when you look at his job history it's surprising he made it based on how often he's been fired etc. Plus I know for a fact he said he wouldn't take a bullet for obama and he was on his detail during the campaign!
    why would you out your friend like that? you're no friend.

Comment

Let's keep this from getting personal.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
        why would you out your friend like that? you're no friend.
        Who said he's a friend. I said I know a GUY. And I didn't OUT anyone. I'm pointing out to the person with the question that people of all stripes and belief systems are in the secret service.

Relax, defender of all that's holy and true...

Comment

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
          Well put your theories to rest oswald. I'm 100% legit. I happen to know lots of folks from the defense and government security apparatus but then again I'm ex-military so it's not that big of a coincidence.
          The name's Harold. You may have seen me on Gilligan's Island.

And I'm ex-military, too. So what?

By the way, it's obvious that Secret Service come from all "stripes and belief", but I guarantee you that the "guy" you know would've been up the road kicking beer cans and counting light poles if he said what he said to you to anyone that really mattered.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
            The name's Harold. You may have seen me on Gilligan's Island.

And I'm ex-military, too. So what?

By the way, it's obvious that Secret Service come from all "stripes and belief", but I guarantee you that the "guy" you know would've been up the road kicking beer cans and counting light poles if he said what he said to you to anyone that really mattered.

HH
            Now that's my point isn't it Harold? That lots of people say and believe different things than what they say to their superiors. So for the point of the OP's question he shouldn't feel constrained to write whatever he wants about Secret Service.

Comment

Got no problem with writing whatever one wants to write, no matter how far-fetched. The point, which you seem to be deliberately missing so you can expound on the extreme example, is that there does have to be some believability to write to.

HH

Comment

Just as there are thousands of "wannabee" VietNam vets, I suspect there are many former government employees that will claim to have had high profile (or low, however you want to see it) responsibility jobs within the Gov.

I retired from the Fed Gov after 30yrs (10 military, 20 with Diplomatic Security). I worked with many Secret Service Officers, from the juniors to the senior officers. the ladder they had to climb to get on the Protective Detail for high ranking diplomats, up to the President's detail was under constant scrutiny for any indication they might have reservations about what was expected from them; i.e. "take a bullet" for the person they were protecting.

their first five or so years were spent sweeping public places for threats against high ranking diplomats - that may, or may not, visit. junior officers never knew for certain whether there would be a visit or not.

Just as my own experiences in VietNam, working with SEALS and other Special Forces, enable me to detect the "wannabee" from the REAL heros (the REAL SEALS do not talk about their exploits), I think I could tell wannabee Secret Service from the REAL ones, just after a few miutes of conversation. They too, do not talk about their jobs - not even to their own families.

I'm just saying........

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
                  There is a National Geographic Special called "Inside the Secret Service".

It is available on Netflix instant view or you could watch it here
                  http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title...ecret_service/
                  Thanks for the link Watching it now.

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
                  ... do not talk about their jobs - not even to their own families.
                  I'm guessing a secret service agent would, though. After all, running along side the president on prime-time national TV is hardly gonna re-inforce the story that they're simple paper-pushers in some nice safe gov office downtown.

Do they get cycled off the presidential detail once they've been caught on camera? (just musing here )
                  Last edited by Steven Jenkins; 10-09-2010, 05:33 AM.
                  "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
                    I'm guessing a secret service agent would [talk about their job to their families], though. After all, running along side the president on prime-time national TV is hardly gonna re-inforce the story that they're simple paper-pushers in some nice safe gov office downtown.
                    I think you misunderstood what Butch was saying. It's not that their families don't know WHAT they do, but that they don't talk about their day with them.

HH

Comment

Jogging alongside a motorcade, or jogging with the Pres in the early hours of the morning are only a small part of the SS's responsibilities. THAT "privilage" comes after many years of "ground work".

I was in Hong Kong when Pres GB Sr. visited China. I was responsible to ensure that he had 24/7 communications, from anywhere on the island, to the US. I had a young SS officer assigned to accompany me wherever I went, and meet everyone I did business with to accomplish my job. His dream goal - to one day be on the Protective Detail.

We never discussed our job outside of the vaulted room I called my "office".

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                        I think you misunderstood what Butch was saying. It's not that their families don't know WHAT they do, but that they don't talk about their day with them.

HH
                        Ok. But I'm guessing you wouldn't see the same face on the tv twice. (I still haven't finished that nat. geo. documentary yet).
                        Last edited by Steven Jenkins; 10-09-2010, 05:32 AM.
                        "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

We live in a society where one is not judged 'guilty by association.' If the Masons or Facebook crowd advocate overthrowing the President that is their right under First Amendment guarantees. Should certain members take (or plan) unlawful or criminal action against the President, those lawbreakers should be prosecuted. Unless I, as a dues-paying member of the group, can be shown to have been involved in the planning, execution, or cover-up of the crime, or that I had knowledge of impending criminal action that I did not report, or that my dues knowingly funded the crime, then my job in the Civil Service Secret Service should not be effected, or even questioned.

Comment

Working...
                          X