Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little known managers on TrackingB.com

So I've seen some managers mentioned on TrackingB.com who appear to have little to no track record, at least based on what I could surmise from DoneDealpro, IMDbPro, HCD and google. But if a project has at least made it onto the radar of the guy running TrackingB.com, doesn't it suggest that the manager is at least capable of getting a writer read around town? It seems like a manager goes a long way toward passing the smell test just by virtue of repping a project tracked on that site. But maybe I'm giving the site too much credit. What do you guys think?

Re: Little known managers on TrackingB.com

just spit 'er out, Neckless. Which manager's ya wondering about?

Comment

The information trackingb reports on spec's going out they get directly from the manager, their reputation is on the line so when they get the info on the script to post they make sure the management is legitimate. From what I can tell I haven't seen a management company on their that isn't a reputable one.

Another thing to mention is sometimes managers seem to be a one person outfit who work well with writers and are connected enough to have a contact in most major production companies around town. Sometimes they have small client lists so you wouldn't think of them as big shots or a big time firm or anything, but they do just as well as they do.
      Write.Sell.Repeat.

Theoretically...

Comment

/wondering how much it really takes to get on the radar of the guy who blogs his free tracking groups for a subscription.....

great site but, eh.
        The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

I would tend to agree with BROUGHCUT. While I have no doubt that most of the managers on Trackingb.com are honorable people, not sure that all of them are movers and shakers. There is at least one young manager on trackingb.com who doesn't manage full time. She heads a non-profit organization and manages part time. She is a very nice woman, but not sure that you'd want her handling your career.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
            just spit 'er out, Neckless. Which manager's ya wondering about?
            Here are just some recent ones:

Anthony Vasto
            Kelley Coleman - Patchwork Ent.
            Bethany Stirdivant
            Sean Sorensen

But I'm not even wondering about these managers, since I've pretty much drawn my own conclusions about them based on my research.

But if someone has a paid account with Trackingb.com, maybe they could pose the question to the guy who runs it, are some of the managers so far out on the fringe that they're not even worth pursuing?

Comment

Personally, I wouldn’t rely on trackingb, donedeal or any site to screen reps I was considering querying.

My philosophy when searching for a rep has always been to let any and everybody read and then go from there.

If the rep shows interest I’ll then start extensively researching them, identifying red flags, asking them the right questions regarding what they can do for my career and gauging our rapport.

Reps like to say “writers can transform.” Well reps can transform, too.

Jimmy Upandcomingmanager may not have had a string of success to date but as long as he has a verifiable track record, contacts, and experience in the industry Jimmy may be just the hungry hard charger you need to launch your career…and YOU may be just what Jimmy needs.

These are the types of things you really need to dig into and judge while dancing the dance with these people, though.

Always remember that you’re evaluating them as much as they are evaluating you and just because a rep expresses interest, it doesn’t mean your wedded to them.

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
              I've pretty much drawn my own conclusions about them based on my research.
              And that's the key right there.
              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

in defence of trackingb.com -- did they track well? did they track at all? (I'm not subscribed but browse the archives....). If it doesn't track and the manager doesn't tally then it's probably on the fringe?

this site is probably drawn from various assistant & ce level boards the blogger has access to (otherwise he wouldn't be charging peeps). Members of those groups want to be the first to light up new & interesting material that may be working its way up the system.

Most likely, these manager's scripts got through enough filters to land on someones desk, and that person thought to add them to their tracking list, before appearing in "syndication" on trakckingb.com

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
                  in defence of trackingb.com -- did they track well? did they track at all? (I'm not subscribed but browse the archives....). If it doesn't track and the manager doesn't tally then it's probably on the fringe?

this site is probably drawn from various assistant & ce level boards the blogger has access to (otherwise he wouldn't be charging peeps). Members of those groups want to be the first to light up new & interesting material that may be working its way up the system.

Most likely, these manager's scripts got through enough filters to land on someones desk, and that person thought to add them to their tracking list, before appearing in "syndication" on trakckingb.com
                  Let me tell you from personal experience - this site has major folks checking it. My previous manager took a script of mine out around March. Soon it was on trackingb.com, and he was stunned how many folks were asking for it - he forwared all the emails. They said things like "I heard you've got this XXXXX script out. Can I have a look?" Literally dozens. Maybe not the way he wanted it played, but it was a fun couple of days.
                  Here's the funny thing - the manager sent me an email - "I just got a call from X, the President of X (super duper prodco) who called me just to tell me how much he hated your script. Did you send it to him?" No, I don't know X, I know no one, that's why I have you! was my answer. But it's funny- once things are on trackingb.com, they take on a life of their own.
                  (Of course, the big shot hating the script wasn't the funny part. Not funny at all. In my defense, some folks liked it - he's the only guy that used the word hate...)
                  Last edited by seh; 10-08-2008, 05:33 AM.

Comment

No doubt that major folks check in. At the same time, there are upstart managers who have gone out with numerous specs that got bad responses. On the flip side, the new company, Abstract, sold the first project they went out with. Do as much research as you can before you sign with someone.

Comment

I like that young/new reps have a chance to have their material exposed to all the great execs, etc on there, as that's most likely who new writers like me will end up working with at first... I also find it it helpful for the same reasons to learn about which of those new reps can get heat for their specs and which seem to have a harder time...

Comment

it follows that if a script's on trackingb, it's because the script's made an appearance on real tracking lists that are actually tracking stuff....

trackingb does not resemble a useful tracking list, for various boring reasons that are of no consequence because the site is pitched squarely at writers and fulfills its purpose well (provides a good indication of the kind of material that is gaining traction).

Comment

I like trackingb. I tried hollywoodassistants and some other sites and never got consistent info. Not even on mediabistro or random blogs.

Comment

There are a lot of tracking groups around town. TRackingB is aimed at writers because the person on the site charges its members and it's rare for a development guy or girl to pay for a service they get for free with their buddies. However, for a writer who has no access to other tracking groups, TRackingB posts all the specs we insiders get around town...pretty accurate. The guy who runs it does a pretty good job of posting it all. There are a few other sites out there. One of them, which is pretty good, but just for industry insiders is www.Hollywoodmixer.com but they won't let you in unless you are an entertainment professional. Other than that, there are other entertainment sites, but they are usually within google mail groups and yahoo mail groups.
                            --------------------------
                            http://www.screenwritingcompass.com
                            Anonymous rep guiding screenwriters.

Comment

The LA Times did an article on trackingb a while back (and you know they have to vet info) that suggests more than just writers use the site, compass...

From THE LA TIMES:

TrackingB.com, a growing pay website that tracks insider maneuverings and the real-time sale and buzz of new pitches and screenplays, is kind of bank vault to which anyone can buy the combination for $69 a year.

"I'm mostly using it to look out for: What are the new specs that are going out on the market, what's happening with the ones that are already out there?" says Fox Searchlight creative executive Jason Hargrove, who checks the site daily and nabbed a script called "Near Death," written by Carter Blanchard, this year because TrackingB.com reported on it three days before it went on the market.

At the moment, the site's subscribers are drawn mainly from junior creative executives and VPs at studios, as well as lower-level assistants, managers, agents, financiers and producers, although the William Morris Agency has an account and at least one production head at a major studio uses it.

Comment

Working...
                              X