This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
    I mean, if you don't know how to write a screenplay after reading 25? 50? 100? what good would reading 500 or 1,000 do for you?
    I'd venture to guess the pros read other pros scripts constantly. You always want to see what others in your arena are doing.

As far as monetizing the sale of scripts as a revnue source for writers - fine, I'm on board. But will the writer get a cut from scripts owned by the studios? Or will the WGA have to negotiate this too?

Lastly - how big is the market that would actually purchase each individual script? In the 10s of 1000s?
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Also, how many scripts does one need to read before they "get it"? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know we're always supposed to be growing, learning, but at some point aren't you supposed to "get it" and then, by "getting it" get repped? and then get whatever "educational tools" you need from your reps? Or am I way off base here? I mean, if you don't know how to write a screenplay after reading 25? 50? 100? what good would reading 500 or 1,000 do for you?
      It's really kind of hard to say. Do aspiring novelists stop reading books after a certain number while searching for an agent?

Also, even moreso than prose fiction, "styles" and "trends" change with the times, and it's good to keep up to date on that sort of thing as well (if you want to make a living, anyway)... To point out an extreme example (talking marketable form and not story quality), the page layout standards you learn reading PSYCHO aren't going to help you much if you hope to write the latest SCREAM sequel. Half-page blocks of 20 sentence paragraphs just isn't done anymore.

Comment

As for educational purposes - people who want to write "How To" books can insert their own specs.
        I own my unsold scripts, but do not own my sold scripts. So any produced examples I can not legally use (this does not stop me from using them anyway... but I haven't been handed a C&D letter).

I really don't see studios printing and selling scripts - no real money in it.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          I own my unsold scripts, but do not own my sold scripts. So any produced examples I can not legally use (this does not stop me from using them anyway... but I haven't been handed a C&D letter).

- Bill
          Yeah, pure conjecture on my part but I was talking more about pdfs for e-readers.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

- Bill
            Exactly. The underlying problem is:

The writer of the original work should not lose copyright ownership. Why give away rights to one's story simply because of format? It's an original literary work whether it's intended for the screen, Youtube or any other published medium.

Am I repeating myself?

Uh. Yeah.
            Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

and in a few years when Hollywood get's even shtty, and when companies lose money, they can blame themselves for taking away great resources for an aspiring writer. How the hell am I suppose to know and feel how a script really works, to gain varies knowledge of many great writers we're I seek guidance. Not no cheap book.

Comment

The writer of the original work should not lose copyright ownership. Why give away rights to one's story simply because of format?
                FWIW, I've never given away the rights to one of my scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                  FWIW, I've never given away the rights to one of my scripts.
                  Fascinating. So I guess your sold scripts won't show up on any studio-owned list.

Lucky you. You can re-sell your script all over again. Or post it on the internet. Or sell the script to wannabe writers. Or re-produce it as an indie, etc.

Comment

Oh, the studios own my produced scripts. But I didn't give them away. I sold them for a truckload of cash.

Comment

Oh, the studios own my produced scripts. But I didn't give them away. I sold them for a truckload of cash.
                      You should consider getting a direct deposit account.

Comment

It was a Tonka truck. But still!

Comment

Good for you, J-Low!

If you play your cards right, you might someday make as much money as J-Lo.

Pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                            I'd venture to guess the pros read other pros scripts constantly. You always want to see what others in your arena are doing.
                            I'd guess that working writers don't have much time to read other scripts "constantly". They might read a friend's script or might read for research or read other things like novels but I think for the most part they are not constantly reading scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                              I'd guess that working writers don't have much time to read other scripts "constantly". They might read a friend's script or might read for research or read other things like novels but I think for the most part they are not constantly reading scripts.
                              Well - I've been schooled.
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I finally drifted over to mypdfs.com and read that list of titles Warner Brothers demanded Sheridan take down from his site. One of them:

Gone With The Wind.

Besides being an ironic tagline for the entire practice of script trading online ...

Seriously? They're asserting their copyright on Gone With The Wind? They're threatening legal action on circulating PDFs of Gone With The wind?

Has their legal department really thought this through? Or is this one big knee-jerk reaction to in-dev scripts being traded.

Comment

Working...
                                X