No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost 4-18-07

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
    If the writers had worked out pay-offs for mysteries like the four-toed statue and the significance of the Numbers would we really be wasting so much time watching a ping pong ball go back and forth?
    Lost is a show that requires patience. It's a mystery show - instead of a whodunit, a whatdunit. If at the end of the show's life there remains substantial questions left unanswered and abandoned, I will criticize it as a show that failed to live up to its potential.

Yet I find myself giving the show some leeway because its obfuscatory nature is also what is so rewarding about watching it. I don't think I'd want Cole Sear leaning toward Dr. Malcom and whispering "You know you're dead, right?" in the middle of Act II, and it's in that spirit I will continue to watch and reserve judgement until curtain call.
    ------------------------------------------
    "I suffer as always from the fear of putting down the first line. " - John Steinbeck

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Lost is a show that requires patience. It's a mystery show - instead of a whodunit, a whatdunit. If at the end of the show's life there remains substantial questions left unanswered and abandoned, I will criticize it as a show that failed to live up to its potential.

Yet I find myself giving the show some leeway because its obfuscatory nature is also what is so rewarding about watching it. I don't think I'd want Cole Sear leaning toward Dr. Malcom and whispering "You know you're dead, right?" in the middle of Act II, and it's in that spirit I will continue to watch and reserve judgement until curtain call.
      Josh, I don't know you. My guess is you're a newbie to the boards. But my hat is off. You summed up what it takes to enjoy this show in a very simple manner. This is Lost. And if people have a problem with that, then this show probably isn't for them.

Ele...

Comment

My 11 year old watched the show with my wife and I for the first time this past week.
        "What in the world is going on?" He asked.

He was talking about the flashbacks. "Oh my God!" he would say. Every time a scene started to get interesting they went to a flashback. My boy asked how in the world we could watch such a stupid show. He just didn't get why they needed all the flashbacks to tell a story.

There you have it. I think an 11 year old mind tells it better than any of us could say it.

Sparks,

Comment

Biggest problem I had with this episode:

Camping?

When the group needed to convince Jin to come with them, that was the best the writers could come up with? "Let's go camping"?

How the hell is a camping trip enticing to somebody who's been living on a desert island for months? What is camping to him? Roughing it? Cooking over a fire? In other words, walking a couple of hours up the beach and spending the night exactly the same way he's spent every night since the crash.

So ridiculous. As long as they were pretending Jin could understand what Hurley was saying, they could've just had Hurley say "Desmond's had another vision, and the last few saved lives, and now he thinks you need to come with us."

Camping. Come on!

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
          -- Potter Stewart

Comment

Lost is a show that requires patience.
            So is teenage dating but as I explained to young Becky all those years ago, this under-the-sweater-over-the-brassiere thing is only going to keep the boys satisfied for so long.

There are so many dropped threads this season that it seems the island may in fact be the mystical place that storylines go to die. The producers should be running to the finish line not strolling and stopping to sniff the flowers along the way.

Or in this case telling scary campground stories in Korean;
            or watching Jack and Juliet share a bowl of tapioca;
            or having Sawyer and Jack begin what will no doubt be the first Island Open Inivitational in table tennis;
            or showing that Kate is all confused about Jack;
            or introducing new characters at the expense of the characters you've already invested in and care about.

Take your pick.

lefty

Comment

Originally posted by Sparksdale View Post
              My 11 year old watched the show with my wife and I for the first time this past week.
              "What in the world is going on?" He asked.

He was talking about the flashbacks. "Oh my God!" he would say. Every time a scene started to get interesting they went to a flashback. My boy asked how in the world we could watch such a stupid show. He just didn't get why they needed all the flashbacks to tell a story.

There you have it. I think an 11 year old mind tells it better than any of us could say it.

Sparks,

I imagine there are a lot of things an 11 year old is frustrated with that I am not.
              "I suffer as always from the fear of putting down the first line. " - John Steinbeck

Comment

Originally posted by left field View Post

There are so many dropped threads this season that it seems the island may in fact be the mystical place that storylines go to die.
                That may be the case, but the writers have also shown a knack for picking up on those dropped threads, oftentimes much later, and paying them off in very exciting and rewarding ways.

Comment

Originally posted by HBeeOh
                  If you can explain how this show comes close to following the three act structure I'll eat my shoes.

Answering questions is great, it's what every mystery wants to do. But you do have to maintain a delicate balance of how many questions you are answering. If there is one answer to all these questions, all these tangents are just the writers showing off how many questions they can raise that can be answered in one series.
                  Perhaps as a viewer, your idea of maintaining a delicate balance is different than mine is. Each of us has a different comfort level regarding the unknown and unanswered. Lost is within my comfort level.

You may be right that the writers may be showing off. I'll reserve judgement for now. As a writer, I'd wish for the benefit of the doubt concerning my own work, so perhaps I am more inclined to be indulgent in that regard.

Comment

I imagine there are a lot of things an 11 year old is frustrated with that I am not.

Bravo, Sir.
                    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

oftentimes much later
                      "Oftentimes much later" is the problem -- as a viewer who's attention span is much less than yours, it's so much "later" I've completely forgotten what it was I was supposed to remember.

I also agree the "camping" idea was ridiculous. "I know, Jin, let's go camping on an island where a murderous group of Others can't wait to capture or kill us and a deadly monster is prowling loose -- just for the fun of it! And let's head straight for Crazy Frenchwoman's Boobytrap Central to make camp!"

But I keep watching anyway because Lost is a big tease with nice boobs that I hope someday will finally put out.

Comment

The thing is, there are many, many viewers who like the tease. They like the mystery. I'm one of them. It's just the nature of the show. It has been from the start. It's not like they're all of the sudden not answering things. They're doing it at the same pace as always. I don't want to just spout off another "If you don't like it, don't watch." But it really is as simple as somebody saying "Yes, I enjoy what this show is doing," or "It frustrates the hell out of me. So maybe it's not for me." If somebody is willing to keep watching despite a frustration, I can't help but think they might like the tease just a little bit.

Ele...

Comment

I liked the tease enough in the first season and a half, give or take, that now I'm just hanging on to see where it goes, if it goes anywhere.

I've probably used this metaphor before, but it's the same reason I watched Star Wars Eps 2 and 3 on cable, even though I hated Ep 1. I loved the first three movies so much, I couldn't resist the temptation to see if (and how) Lucas lived up to the promise of showing us how Anakin became Vader.

The answers were yes (and poorly), which was a bummer, but Ep 1 had prepared me for that. And I still had to see it through. For Lost, Season 3 has prepared me for that same kind of experience: A definitive ending that basically sucks, if we get one at all. But I still have to see it through. And I still remember enough of that first season to hold some hope that the series ending will be not only definitive, but satisfying. It's a small shred of hope, getting more tattered every week, but it's there.

And if that happened, it would make sitting through all the aimless, illogical crap worthwhile. For now, I'm prepared to give them one more season, especially since it's likely Season 4 will be the last.
                          Last edited by haunted; 04-20-2007, 02:01 PM.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
                          It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
                          -- Potter Stewart

Comment

If you don't like it, don't watch.

Can we turn this around? This is a writing board, it's the appropriate place for informed criticsm, no matter how scathing. If you don't like it, switch off and login into tv.com

But I see no reason why Lost apostates and Lost choirboys can't get along.
                            The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

It's going to have at least 5 seasons. No doubt about it. There's no way they are going to even start the final season without a huge marketing push. Because announcing its the final run will be a way to lure back viewers who gave up waiting for answers.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by haunted View Post
                                Biggest problem I had with this episode:

Camping?

When the group needed to convince Jin to come with them, that was the best the writers could come up with? "Let's go camping"?

How the hell is a camping trip enticing
                                Clearly you're not married.

Comment

Working...
                                X