Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost 4/25/07

I'll start this one off on a low note. Why? Why? Why do I need an hour's time to witness things I already know? I know Sun is pregnant. I know women have been having trouble giving birth. I know Juliette isn't fond of Ben. This episode, spends 45 minutes re-telling us information that I'm well aware of, and 5 seconds of information that turns everything upside down. When you can delete all but 5 seconds of an episode of a continuated story line, and have the overall story arch move smoother, you know something is terribly wrong.

I'm aggrivated. I'll watch the last few episodes. Next season, Lost, you're in for a big disappointment in decline of numbers. Hate to say it considering you were once the best show on television. Presently, you suck. You're writing staff is absolutely atrocious. If I were going to teach a class in screenwriting - I'd have a week dedicated to "what not to do", and Lost would be the example. 0 stars.
    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
    Jack: Trustworthy.

Re: Lost 4/25/07

My favorite moment:

Sun: what happens to pregnant women on this island?
    Juliet: They die.
    Kate: Sun, leave her alone.

Continuing the "Castaways don't ask enough damn questions" motif.

Comment

With the exception of this board, there's generally a very positive buzz about Lost. Most are once again thrilled and feel that the past 10 or so episodes have squashed any doubt on its quality. So I can't see a decline in numbers next season. I think it's pretty much found its audience.

I really enjoyed the episode. Some major surprises. Mikhail being alive is certainly a big thing. The parachuter's announcement about flight 815 wasn't really a surprise to me, but it does add a big twist on the show. That means not only is nobody looking for them, but somebody actually covered up the disappearance of the plane. They cleared up a few questions, too. We know Jin is the father. We know Sun is in danger. We know Juliet is on that beach to research the women. And we know she's doing it against her will.

It was an hour well spent, in my opinion. If you want to get all of your answers in 5 seconds with no drama, I suggest you skip the episode and just read recaps the next morning.

Ele...

Comment

As someone (one) who felt perfectly justified becoming impatient and disappointed with LOST for many weeks this season ... I'm glad to be one who now says: the last several episodes have rocked like LOST ustah rock, which was rocked righteously.

I'll ask Ele because you seem to know the inside scoop (or anyone else who knows): is there a mundane explanation why LOST sagged in its story-telling (and even if you don't think so, you gotta admit something's drifted this season, and now the general vibe is "it's fixed" right?)

Has one or more of the producers been off making a movie or something? Just curious ...
        sigpic
        "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
        that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
        -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
          They cleared up a few questions, too. We know Jin is the father. We know Sun is in danger. We know Juliet is on that beach to research the women. And we know she's doing it against her will.

Ele...
          I'm sorry but I could have told you this information weeks ago. And I wouldn't need to create and hour long Television show to tell you it either.
          Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
          Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
            I'm sorry but I could have told you this information weeks ago. And I wouldn't need to create and hour long Television show to tell you it either.
            True, and, you know, Laura's dad killed her after being possessed by a demon named Bob. But, somehow, solving the big mysteries didn't make the show more enjoyable. Quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
              Next season, Lost, you're in for a big disappointment in decline of numbers. Hate to say it considering you were once the best show on television.

While I've been a fan of the series and have kept up with it, I never have thought it was the best series on TV.

Comment

This weeks show was... well, just strange. I don't know how else to say it. When the one eyed man walked out of the forest I just didn't get it. In another show he thanks Locke for killing him now all the sudden he's alive and well. That's just strange.

The Jin flashback was a total waste of television. Everything said in those flashbacks could have been said in a few seconds on the island without taking up an entire show.

With the exception of one line on this show (the line that said everyone was dead) this show was a filler episode.

It was a pretty good episode though...that sad part is it could have been a great episode. There in lies the problem with LOST. Good episodes could be great and bad episodes are..well, just bad.

Comment

True, and, you know, Laura's dad killed her after being possessed by a demon named Bob. But, somehow, solving the big mysteries didn't make the show more enjoyable. Quite the opposite.

Sorry, but I have to call people when I see this. Knowing who killed Laura Palmer may have removed a large element of Twin Peaks, but it was replaced so quickly by other mysteries. Bob was still out there, you still had to deal with his evil. and there was SO much else going on, I am just baffled when anyone says they were dissapointed with Twin Peaks second season. The ONLY storyline from begining to end that did not belong was that stupid **** with James, the wealthy femme fetale and the driver. Everything else was interwoven and layered in a seamless tapestry.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post

I'll ask Ele because you seem to know the inside scoop (or anyone else who knows): is there a mundane explanation why LOST sagged in its story-telling (and even if you don't think so, you gotta admit something's drifted this season, and now the general vibe is "it's fixed" right?)
                    Most seem to agree (even most of the writers admit) that ABC's idea to split the show into two pods caused the problem. Not because of the wait between the first 6 episodes and the rest of the season, but because they had to restructure their season arch to fit the scheduling. One example is that Eko was supposed to die about 10 episodes in. But because of the need to create a "pod," his character would've been non-existent for too long. So they had to move his death up. I think their need to have a mini-arch forced them to focus too much on Jack, Kate and Sawyer being held captive. In the end this wasn't successful because they still needed more time to tell their story. So what should've been a self-contained story bled into the new episodes after the break, making it feel like the show was dragging.

I'll admit this pod thing was a mistake. The writers all do. But I think the story still holds up despite the complications. But I know that's just me.

Ele...

Comment

I thought the biggest thing in this episode was Mikhail is alive and you can heal from a near fatal wound in a few days and men's sperm count is higher because "things work differently on the island-. If the Russian could recover from being dead, literally dead, then perhaps the people buried on the beach are having a not to fun time under the sand...

Comment

Anybody wondering about Mikhail running into our guys? It's a big island so coincidence is unlikely. Hurley did accidentally fire the flare. So was Mikhail expecting somebody to be there?

Also, the parachutist said something to Mikhail in Portugese. He said that she said "Thank you. What she actually said was "I'm not alone." Very cool.

Ele...

Comment

very obvious.

She waking up!

She's trying to say something!

Give me a break!

Anyone else find it odd that Hurley knew the exact circumstances in which the guy with the patch had been killed? The little Lost cliques haven't actually been big on disclosure.

I thought it was revealing that Sun's bastard child vs mother and baby bleeding from every orifice conflict was repeatedly telegraphed.

Actually, it was very sweet but they utterly spoiled it by having her enunciate it. Shows the kind of audience they are writing for (dense/unperceptive; needs reminding that the guy with the patch was dead, but isn't). Very on the nose.

Season four is going to be packed, what with the return of Boon, Eko, that va va vacuous blonde, the school teacher... the CIA agent... Jack's dad... the plane full of priests and drug dealers, the oceanic pilot, the mysterious looking black chick, a ton of pissed-off boars, one polar bear and those nine mothers-to-be (can't wait for their flashbacks).

Or do you only get reborn if you die inside the fence? That's utterly lame and would make no sense at all, so probably a safe bet.
                          The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                            I thought the biggest thing in this episode was Mikhail is alive and you can heal from a near fatal wound in a few days and
                            Between this and Heroes resurrection is where it's at.

Comment

Great. I avoid the Heroes thread because I haven't seen the show yet and am trying to avoid spoilers and it's in here.

Great.
                              Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                              Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                              Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Working...
                              X