This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Originally posted by Joe Unidos View Post
    That question seems somewhat disengenous, sc. Obviously the copyright holder has made them available for download.

PS -Thanks. Nice to be back(ish) Alway a joy to be remembered!

Well -- after reading copyright law, as clear as mud, I'm seriously not so sure. I'm not being coy, honestly. I think the copyright laws need an overhaul.

I always remember the cool peeps.
    Last edited by sc111; 03-18-2011, 10:52 AM.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
      Limiting access to scripts is a way to make more money on inferior movies.
      That's now one of my favorite quotes ever. Excellent observation.

EDIT - Big budget movies live and die by their opening weekend. That's why studios knowingly don't pre-screen duds for critics before their release date - they want to limit bad word-of-mouth. While I'm not sure a potential audience cares about the script specifically, the suits probably want to limit access to in-development screenplays to keep "script reviews" on blogs and movie news websites from starting bad word-of-mouth. Those sites DO have the eyes of a large potential audience...

Comment

Cynical but not inaccurate. Clearly a large part of it is controlling the message, pre-release. I don’t think that is a bad thing, though. If it was my multi-million dollar project, I wouldn’t want pre-release reviews, speculation and commentary, whether they was accurate or not.
        Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-18-2011, 11:44 AM. Reason: Fixed font code.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonDog View Post
          Big budget movies live and die by their opening weekend. That's why studios knowingly don't pre-screen duds for critics before their release date - they want to limit bad word-of-mouth. While I'm not sure a potential audience cares about the script specifically, the suits probably want to limit access to in-development screenplays to keep "script reviews" on blogs and movie news websites from starting bad word-of-mouth. Those sites DO have the eyes of a large potential audience...
          Wait - are you saying the industry knowingly sinks millions of dollars into producing and advertising dud films!! Gasp!

When I talk to average folks about films ... they know this, they feel wary of new films, trailers, (i.e. they've been to the puppet show and they've see the strings), they've felt ripped off in the past, and many wait for the day after the opening day to hear reviews before spending time and money on a dud upon which lipstick has been applied during marketing.

Like my CPA, for example. She hangs with a covey of other CPAs. And in their circle, one guy is Mr. Opening Weekend, he's their canary in the coal mine. Forty minutes, an hour, into a film, he mass-texts everyone and gives the film a thumbs up or thumbs down.

And for this gang of CPAs it's not really about ticket prices, they're all doing well. It's about going into a film, hopes high, looking to recapture those moments of silver screen magic, that "high" we all get when a film rocks, that high that hooked us when we were kids ... and being disappointed over and over and over again.

I made a remark to my CPA and her BF who's also a CPA about Hollywood releasing fewer films in the last two-three years, they quipped, in unison, "The problem is they need to release fewer sh!tty films."

Instead of the industry trying hide the fact a new release is a dud. How about not releasing duds to theaters? Is that a revolutionary idea?
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Hollywood has always released bad films. They also released good films. People always talk about how great the movies were in whatever decade because they remember all the Back to the Futures and When Harry Met Sallys. They don't recall the Joe vs. the Volcanoes and Howard the Ducks.

Comment

re: Joe Unidos, sc111, and Hamboogul

I'm in agreement with all three of you. But like scriptwriting and poetry, I was merely pointing out my admiration for a concise, well-written observation that says more than a single sentence often does...

Hollywood has always tried to control bad word-of-mouth. Which is fine; expected even. The recent crackdown on scripts online leads me to believe that this is just one more potential crack in the damn of pre-release info they're trying to plug up.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA
                And of course, we all know that writers, agents, managers, actors, hangers-on, Joe Schmoes, etc., would NEVER slip unproduced screenplays onto the net for the vast, unwashed, grubby masses to get their mitts on....I mean, little fairies just sprinkled them overnight...
                What does that have to do with anything? It's still wrong, ain't it?

I had the FIRST DRAFT of a project that sold -- one I wrote in a week -- that somehow managed its way onto a couple of these sites and reviewed. And although the reviews were pretty okay whatever, the comments were ****ing brutal. Most of them having to do with --

Actually, I had to stop reading after the tenth comment. Because my wife came into the office and found me trying to stab myself repeatedly with a spoon shiv I must have made while reading the reviews.

We haven't spoken about it since. But there's a distance between us that wasn't there before. It's...uncomfortable. To say the least. But anyway.

For those bitching about the fact that they can't get their hands on the scripts of already produced material -- this isn't about that. But no studio is going to sit there and labor over what they feel can and can't be read. How do you police that ****? You don't. Especially when it's still illegal anyway no matter how long the movie has been out of the theaters.

It's easier and cheaper just to have them take it all down.

Craig Mazin, John August,and a few other pros wrote blog posts that said in so many words 'HEY, YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO GET ****ED FOR DOING THIS" but instead of listening to those warnings everyone just decided to play armchair Jake Tyler Brigances in the comments.

"Now imagine she was white."

Or that draft was yours.

Comment

Originally posted by gdubs View Post

I had the FIRST DRAFT of a project that sold -- one I wrote in a week -- that somehow managed its way onto a couple of these sites and reviewed. And although the reviews were pretty okay whatever, the comments were ****ing brutal. Most of them having to do with --

Actually, I had to stop reading after the tenth comment. Because my wife came into the office and found me trying to stab myself repeatedly with a spoon shiv I must have made while reading the reviews.

We haven't spoken about it since. But there's a distance between us that wasn't there before. It's...uncomfortable. To say the least. But anyway.

For those bitching about the fact that they can't get their hands on the scripts of already produced material -- this isn't about that. But no studio is going to sit there and labor over what they feel can and can't be read. How do you police that ****? You don't. Especially when it's still illegal anyway no matter how long the movie has been out of the theaters.

Craig Mazin, John August,and a few other pros wrote blog posts that said in so many words 'HEY, YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO GET ****ED FOR DOING THIS" but instead of listening to those warnings everyone just decided to play armchair Jake Tyler Brigances in the comments.

Or that draft was yours.
                  Ppl in the industry are afraid of bad reviews. Another example. ^^

If word gets around that a script may be sh!tty, people get nervous.

If every leaked script got a great review no one would care.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

All I'm saying is....if you want to kill a snake, you go for the head, not the tail. Unless it's a rattlesnake?
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                      ...you go for the head, not the tail. Unless it's a rattlesnake?
                      Ugghhh, that sick scene of Jean-Claude Van Damme biting off the rattler of one in Hard Target! Ugghhh!

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post

If every leaked script got a great review no one would care.
                        The DEADPOOL script got great reviews and great buzz. Do you know anyone we could ask about that situation? Let me know. TIA

Comment

Poor Newscorp. They're entitled to brutally wield their legal power to destroy any individual's life. Look at the billions of dollars they lost because wannabe screenwriters read scripts. How will they ever get their money back?

The punishment fits the crime?

Sympathy for corporate abuse against an individual is gonna be hard to find among decent people--especially when there was no monetary loss. The crime of "reading" is an entirely new, albeit ridiculous basis for this Inquisition-esque corporate tantrum.

A fat, multi-billion dollar corporation, loaded with esquires & MBA's, couldn't come up with another solution to protect their interests and suppress bad reviews? Really? Salem Witch Burning was the only way to go? Who believes that? If anyone does, I got a great stock tip for ya'.
                          Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

The DEADPOOL script got great reviews and great buzz. Do you know anyone we could ask about that situation? Let me know. TIA

I'd still like to know who leaked the Deadpool script on the original comic fan site.

Comment

Or that draft was yours.

I totally understand being pissed about your script being reviewed online. Totally. It's wrong.

Thing is -- the person Fox is suing never reviewed scripts online, never even had a searchable website. And she never traded scripts.

On the question: how do you police that sh1t vis-a-vis unproduced scripts? The same way they're policing it now -- send C&D letters, focus on the trade secrets part of the law (btw: PJ never got a C&D).

Nothing's changed. All this will do is force script-trading underground.

Industry people will STILL leak them to friends, friends will STILL trade them.

All they're doing is stopping easily-accessed public net discussion of scripts on fanboy sites. But they'll still be discussed, too. Just less obviously.

And this will make it even harder for the studios to police when it comes to unproduced scripts, no?

Comment

Thing is -- the person Fox is suing never reviewed scripts online, never even had a searchable website. And she never traded scripts.

She had a gigantic library of unproduced scripts so like she said you go after a snake by cutting off its head.

On the question: how do you police that sh1t vis-a-vis unproduced scripts? The same way they're policing it now -- send C&D letters, focus on the trade secrets part of the law (btw: PJ never got a C&D).

By the time they send a Cease and Desist letter, the material is already posted. They want to prevent the material from being posted in the first place.

Nothing's changed. All this will do is force script-trading underground.

Better underground than aboveground.

Industry people will STILL leak them to friends, friends will STILL trade them.

Yes but scripts have always been traded by industry people because they work in the industry.

All they're doing is stopping easily-accessed public net discussion of scripts on fanboy sites. But they'll still be discussed, too. Just less obviously.

Less obviously means less people accessing it which is the whole point.

As for the general argument that without screenplays posted online how do newbie writers learn to write: This is gonna be harsh but you do it the way it was done before the internet. You get an internship or job in Hollywood or go to film school. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X