No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your take on this, please.

Hi everyone,

Some time last March, after two bad experiences with "under-the-radar" managers, I finally connected with a good one (albeit junior) at a great firm. Smart, reasonable and really seemed to believe in me and my work. (She does rep other writers, as well.)

She reviewed all my projects and we made a priorities list. My first task was to adapt two of my pilots to feature film status. After a ton of work and rounds, I got the first one in the can. I should say, she was quick to respond with notes, etc.

I'm still working on the second adaptation and, before the holidays, presented her with my latest draft. During this time, she became promoted to full-on manager. A good thing.

Yesterday, since I hadn't heard from her regarding this latest version, I emailed and her response was that it had been "crazy busy" at the office and, until she got her "ducks in a row," it might take a FEW WEEKS before she had a chance to review. She also told me to get to work on the next project on our list.

Now please don't jump down my throat and remind me how busy managers are. Or that I'm a clueless *******. I get it. Truly. But wait a few weeks? Is this a result of her promotion and something I can expect going forward? Am I just low on the totem pole or am I being a paranoid ass?

Or do I need to cast my damned net out. Again.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Re: Your take on this, please.

OK-- first question: have you sold anything yet?

ML
    "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

I've had two shorts produced prior to connecting with my rep, but that's it.

So no. But I'm hopeful. As is she.

But I see where you may be heading.

Comment

Trying to read the clues as to whether this is a hip-pocket arrangement or not. If so, a few weeks to get a read and thoughtful notes isn't unusual. How many clients is this manager juggling at the moment?
        https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

We don't have a formal, written agreement as yet. Possibly because she just was promoted from junior status.

That said, she seems to want to develop several projects with me. Projects that I presented to her.

I believe she has about 11 writers, total.

Comment

Perhaps I should try to be patient......

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
              Hi everyone,

Some time last March, after two bad experiences with "under-the-radar" managers, I finally connected with a good one (albeit junior) at a great firm. Smart, reasonable and really seemed to believe in me and my work. (She does rep other writers, as well.)

She reviewed all my projects and we made a priorities list. My first task was to adapt two of my pilots to feature film status. After a ton of work and rounds, I got the first one in the can. I should say, she was quick to respond with notes, etc.

I'm still working on the second adaptation and, before the holidays, presented her with my latest draft. During this time, she became promoted to full-on manager. A good thing.

Yesterday, since I hadn't heard from her regarding this latest version, I emailed and her response was that it had been "crazy busy" at the office and, until she got her "ducks in a row," it might take a FEW WEEKS before she had a chance to review. She also told me to get to work on the next project on our list.

Now please don't jump down my throat and remind me how busy managers are. Or that I'm a clueless *******. I get it. Truly. But wait a few weeks? Is this a result of her promotion and something I can expect going forward? Am I just low on the totem pole or am I being a paranoid ass?

Or do I need to cast my damned net out. Again.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for reading my ramblings.
              A few weeks? She just got a promotion, we're in the middle of awards/festival season, and she can't get you comments back the next day. Time to move on. She obvious doesn't have her priorities straight.

Comment

Not unusual, particularly for this time of year. Put your energy into your work. Wait a couple weeks after Sundance, then follow up.

Comment

Bravo Unequal. I knew someone would go there and you didn't disappoint.

Madworld, thank you. That's just what I'll do.

Comment

I don't see any red flags in this.

People in the business are busy whether you're a manager or an assistant. If she's just been promoted to manager she probably doesn't have an assistant which means she's scheduling all her own meetings and taking her own calls and all that stuff that seems small but eats up a lot of time.

Give it a couple weeks, work on your new stuff, then touch base with her and see where she is. If after that she is wishy washy, then maybe it's a red flag.

But otherwise, things take time in this business. As much as we want to speed things up, it just works at its own pace.
                    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                      Madworld, thank you. That's just what I'll do.
                      No prob. Listen, also, your question is a question we've all had at one time or another. It's easy to get wrapped up in this stuff, but the best thing to do is to recognize it mentally when you are second-guessing, then let it go. Because deep down, these insecurities are probably/ 99% of the time unwarranted, and yet we give them so much weight. Have fun, work on your work. In the end, the attention to your work will open up all the doors and things will fall into place. And *if* you can focus this way, you will not only have a better experience as a writer, you will lead a happier life. Make a deal with yourself not to let emails, dates, things that seem of dire importance but truly aren't, affect you or the process.

Comment

Much appreciated, thanks.

I tend to ruminate when I should be writing. I know that sucks. And I'm working on it.

Comment

I was in this same position twice about 10 years ago with a small manager (who seems to have disappeared now) and large HW management/production company (much bigger now) and in each case all contact suddenly stopped without warning. I called and emailed, but nothing. I was left dangling in the wind like a hanged man on a gibbet. OK, it wasn't that dramatic, but it was disappointing.

I hope my experience turns out to be the opposite of yours, but things change and a writer can suddenly be on the outer. I felt quite tough after coming out the other side.

My reflection on this is that in the absence of any written agreement with these people, I wish I had approached other companies at the same time to keep the ball rolling.
                          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
                            My reflection on this is that in the absence of any written agreement with these people, I wish I had approached other companies at the same time to keep the ball rolling.
                            This is why I don't understand why there aren't written agreements with managers in the first place. Seems like having a business relationship where there aren't any defined responsibilities naturally leads to miscommunication and/or uncertainty (hence the frequent questions of this nature on DDP), which can ultimately lead to resentment, anger (causing writers to seek other reps), or at its worst, lawsuits (see all those cases involving stars who leave for a bigger rep).

The resistance to formalizing this stuff feels like a recipe for trouble. In some respect, it almost feels shady, much like Hollywood accounting (not that I'm drawing a direct comparison). This town is strange.
                            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                              This is why I don't understand why there aren't written agreements with managers in the first place. Seems like having a business relationship where there aren't any defined responsibilities naturally leads to miscommunication and/or uncertainty (hence the frequent questions of this nature on DDP), which can ultimately lead to resentment, anger (causing writers to seek other reps), or at its worst, lawsuits (see all those cases involving stars who leave for a bigger rep).

The resistance to formalizing this stuff feels like a recipe for trouble. In some respect, it almost feels shady, much like Hollywood accounting (not that I'm drawing a direct comparison). This town is strange.
                              No one wants to commit until it is unavoidable.
                              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Working...
                              X