Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERs

This should be an easy Q/A but for some reason I'm over-thinking it, maybe because it's all on page one of a script.

The script opens in a basic place, but it's a different time period and different name than you'd expect -- kinda like how in AMC's Turn they show sweeping views of fall countryside with nothing but trees and then SUPER - BROOKLYN, 1776 or something.

So we're in that tree-covered Brooklyn scene, we meet the guy who'll be the protagonist rowing down the Hudson in his three-cornered hat, then we flip back for a minute to the Old Country.
    So I have a super that says something like SUPER - IRELAND, 1752 and then we see him dance an Irish jig at a wedding in Dublin.

Then we flip back to BROOKLYN, where our hero's rowing down the Hudson (which probably isn't in Brooklyn, but whatever...)

Best to do something like what I just did above, or since we're in this field that could be anywhere and we just jumped time, does it seem best to go back to SUPER - BROOKLYN, 1776

?

Kind of worried if I don't specify with the full SUPER explanation, people might be disoriented. A reader just told me maybe it's not necessary (of course, I had screwed up the month, so that had a lot to do with it as well.)

Thanks.

Re: SUPERs

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
    This should be an easy Q/A but for some reason I'm over-thinking it, maybe because it's all on page one of a script.

The script opens in a basic place, but it's a different time period and different name than you'd expect -- kinda like how in AMC's Turn they show sweeping views of fall countryside with nothing but trees and then SUPER - BROOKLYN, 1776 or something.

So we're in that tree-covered Brooklyn scene, we meet the guy who'll be the protagonist rowing down the Hudson in his three-cornered hat, then we flip back for a minute to the Old Country.
    So I have a super that says something like SUPER - IRELAND, 1752 and then we see him dance an Irish jig at a wedding in Dublin.

Then we flip back to BROOKLYN, where our hero's rowing down the Hudson (which probably isn't in Brooklyn, but whatever...)

Best to do something like what I just did above, or since we're in this field that could be anywhere and we just jumped time, does it seem best to go back to SUPER - BROOKLYN, 1776

?

Kind of worried if I don't specify with the full SUPER explanation, people might be disoriented. A reader just told me maybe it's not necessary (of course, I had screwed up the month, so that had a lot to do with it as well.)

Thanks.
    If I were doing something like that, I'd probably keep the first identifying super, establishing the character in the first location, on the boat or wherever and then, since I'm assuming that this is something like a memory, I wouldn't use a second super, but I'd rely on a change in the character's appearance -- difference in hair, beard, etc. and elements within the scene to establish the time and place.

NMS

Comment

Thanks NMS!

Wait. Would you not use the SECOND Super about being in Dublin, or the THIRD super - about being back in the wilds of Brooklyn?
      Thanks.
      Last edited by cvolante; 11-12-2017, 09:13 AM. Reason: because I am a ninny

Comment

Have you considered starting with the Dublin wedding scene, and then ...

SUPER - TWENTY-FIVE YEARS LATER - AMERICA

?
        "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
        - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

I would use only ONE intro super for the CURRENT time and then just intercut the flashback scenes. It should be clear on the page for the reader but you'll want to make sure you make it clear it's a previous time. Perhaps like something where after the intercuts someone else on the boat asks him in a whisper "Hey! You alright? Where's you head?"

"Just rememberin'"

"Remberin' what?"

"Home/Ireland/Dublin, etc" or "A weddin'"

I wouldn't recommend TWO supers.
          You know Jill you remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month, he must have been a happy man.

Comment

Thanks NMS!

Wait. Would you not use the SECOND Super about being in Dublin, or the THIRD super - about being back in the wilds of Brooklyn?
            Thanks.
            No, what I would probably do is use something in the environment to quickly identify the location.

And yeah -- if the situation really makes that impossible, I would always ere on the side of making things clear and if that means using another title then use it.

Francis Ford Coppola was faced with this same problem in Godfather 2 -- bouncing back and forth between different times and locations and he finally just decided to use supers to make it clear.

It's really no big deal. If it's clear without them, don't use them. If it isn't -- use them.

NMS

Comment

Thanks NMS!

Thanks.
              No, what I would probably do is use something in the environment to quickly identify the location.

And yeah -- if the situation really makes that impossible, I would always ere on the side of making things clear and if that means using another title then use it.

Francis Ford Coppola was faced with this same problem in Godfather 2 -- bouncing back and forth between different times and locations and he finally just decided to use supers to make it clear.

It's really no big deal. If it's clear without them, don't use them. If it isn't -- use them.

NMS

Comment

Working...
              X