Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright vs all right in scripts

The word "alright" shows up 8 times in my script. I believe they were all in dialogue (versus description.)

I read that technically you should use "all right" in writing... but do you think, since I'm using it in dialogue (characters speaking) it can be (or even should be) "alright" instead of "all right"...?

Which do you use?

Re: Alright vs all right in scripts

The correct spelling is *all right*.

The fact that it is in dialogue is irrelevant.

However, people spell it as *alright* very commonly, and it will not make any difference in whether someone becomes interested in your script.

The unconventional spelling will just make people like me wonder whether you know the correct spelling. But most people will pass over it without a pause.

If you have already sent the script out, don't worry about it. If you have not sent it out, change the spelling.

Really, everything will be all right.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Actually, this one has always annoyed me: "ALL RIGHT!"

BUT... I have begun to use "alright" in dialogue when the person is being very colloquial or where I want to imply they're less educated. Help the reader along, a bit.

Comment

I have begun to use "alright" in dialogue when the person is being very colloquial or where I want to imply they're less educated. Help the reader along, a bit.
        Well, the reader probably does not know the correct form, anyway, and the reader who does know what is correct will just assume that the writer is ignorant.

Also, incorrect spelling in dialogue does not carry across to the audience. The word is still pronounced the same, whether <alright< or <all right<.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Both are fine -- alright is in the dictionary.

Comment

STUPID SOP
            Ain't it alright with you then, m'Lord?

ARROGANT INTELLECTUAL
            Yes, it's all right with me, my good man.

As I have written many times, if I owned a production company and my paid readers were 'passing' on scripts because the writer had a little fun like this, the unemployment line would be one ex-reader longer within the hour.

Comment

So, Terri, are you any better off now, after asking?

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                So, Terri, are you any better off now, after asking?
                I'm going to need a minute to think things over...

Alright looks better to me in dialogue.
                I'm just afraid of an uptight reader seeing it and thinking I'm "ignorant" simply because I didn't use "all right" instead.

Comment

Terri, my posts were not to tell you to spell incorrectly.

Always do the right thing; you asked, and you got the correct answer early on.

But know that in this business as in just about any other that it's the prerogative, or the arrogance, of the experienced and knowledgeable to break rules at their own calculated risk.

Don't ever make mistakes out of carelessness or ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by Terri View Post
                    The word "alright" shows up 8 times in my script. I believe they were all in dialogue (versus description.)

I read that technically you should use "all right" in writing... but do you think, since I'm using it in dialogue (characters speaking) it can be (or even should be) "alright" instead of "all right"...?

Which do you use?
                    I guess it's not technically correct, but "alright" seems more natural in conversation. "All right" comes across as too "proper." (At least in my eyes.) It's almost like using "I will" instead of "I'll" in a normal conversation. Personally I wouldn't worry about using "alright" in dialogue. But that's just my opinion.
                    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                      Also, incorrect spelling in dialogue does not carry across to the audience. The word is still pronounced the same, whether <alright< or <all right<.
                      You may be right, technically, but it doesn't it doesn't come across as the same to me. "Alright" seems more like a contraction, whereas "All right" seems too proper for normal conversation. It's almost like you would only use it in special occasions.

For example.

JOE
                      (nodding)
                      Alright, then.

As opposed to ...

JOE
                      (biting his words)
                      Well - all - right - then. Whatever.

I know, being too picky.
                      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Working...
                      X