X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passengers

Ah, Hollywood...

(Even if this was set up in Germany.)

I think you'll see it one day. Especially with Gravity still fresh in everyone's mind.

Comment

47 Ronin was Keanu's first mainstream starring role since 2008, and a massive, massive flop. His bankability might be questionable at this point.

Not sure if that has affected this project, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The script was good, but the ending felt too obvious from the start, and kind of a dull pay-off IMHO.

Comment

I also liked the script, but feel it's genre is too problematic. I mean sci-fi/romance? The romance will scare off sci-fi fans, and the sci-fi will scare off romance fans.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
          I also liked the script, but feel it's genre is too problematic. I mean sci-fi/romance? The romance will scare off sci-fi fans, and the sci-fi will scare off romance fans.
          Right, 'cause AVATAR didn't do so well...

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
            Nor Matrix.Terminator. Wall-E. Butterfly Effect. Star Wars. The Time Traveler's Wife. The Empire Strikes Back. The Adjustment Bureau. Return of the Jedi....
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
              You, sir, know exactly what the difference is here. Either that or you haven't read the script.

Comment

Originally posted by Levenger View Post
                You, sir, know exactly what the difference is here. Either that or you haven't read the script.
                Yep. It's not the same a romance/sci-fi and a sci-fi/action film with a romance subplot.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind might be closer, but it's a completely different sensibility.

Passengers doesn't seem extremely commercial, despite its merits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post

I don't know. That script has some great trailer moments. I can already see it. The main character opening his eyes among the hundreds of pods all lined up a long a corridor. Him walking through a deserted luxury spaceship. Him screaming "HELLO??" and having it echo through the mezzanine....

I'd be sold, and I think a lot of other people as well.
                  @PatriotFrames

Comment

Yep. It's not the same a romance/sci-fi and a sci-fi/action film with a romance subplot.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind might be closer, but it's a completely different sensibility.

I hope you guys are kidding. AVATAR completely slows down for a very long period of time to focus on the relationship between the two main protags. In films that Sundown here above refers to, those are indeed subplots for the most part. In AVATAR it's an absolute major element of the script. DUH. If it weren't for the three months spent with Neytiri and her tribe, Jake would have never decided to give up forever his planet and his own **species** to join them. I thought that was really gutsy of Cameron to take so much time away from the action. Then again, maybe that's why the film resonated the way it did.

Comment

Well put. Avatar nor all but one of the films Sundown mentioned are sci-fi romance. It's a subplot. How can you tell? Usually the logline.

Reese's love for Sarah is unneeded in a logline. The movie is about protecting her from a cyborg. That's the plot. In passengers, you can't avoid mentioning a love partner because it's at the core of the story.

As for commerciality, you're spot on. There's no spectacle here like Transformers. Young men won't go in droves to watch a contained sci-fi romance with a moral conundrum.

Comment

AVATAR is a sci-fi romance. TITANIC is a a romance-disaster flick... Both made more than 1 billion at the box office.

Could it be that people actually do want stronger emotional content in a blockbuster?

Whether it's romance or friendship, I think people respond to deeper emotions / relationships in a major spectacle type film.

Look at LOTR and the friendship between Frodo and Sam. Yes there are huge blockbusters without those emotional elements that make a killing at the box office, but there are also those that will be remembered for much longer and make a much stronger emotional impact. Which I kind of think is one of the things that scripts / films should strive for.

Comment

If Avatar is sci-fi romance, then Attack of The Clones must be sci-fi romance as well.

Avatar is a sci-fi action / adventure with a cliché romance crammed into it. Just like most other sci-fi epics.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                            If Avatar is sci-fi romance, then Attack of The Clones must be sci-fi romance as well.

Avatar is a sci-fi action / adventure with a cliché romance crammed into it. Just like most other sci-fi epics.
                            Right. The romance with the native does not drive the story at all. It has absolutely no direct impact on the hero's actions or the overall plot.

Okey dokey.

Comment

These things matter a lot from the marketing POV. Avatar had a lot of great angles for marketing, including an epic war between humans and aliens.

Passengers doesn't really have such material. You could sell it, yes, but it feels more like a 60-70 million domestic grosser instead of the 120-140 milion domestic grosser.

IMHO they should just make it cheaper and more intimate. But it seems the intention has been to turn it into something of a visual epic.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
                                IMHO they should just make it cheaper and more intimate. But it seems the intention has been to turn it into something of a visual epic.
                                Well, Keanuuuuuu needs a box office boost so he needs the blockbuster.
                                Which is ironic considering he's spent decades trying to escape his A-list shackle and prove he can act by taking on smaller and quirky roles.
                                Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 03-23-2014, 11:54 AM.
                                M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                                X