No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query Style

Hey folks,

I kinda did things backwards. I have friends in the industry, and was able to get representation via that connection. I couple of years ago I was offered a position in Europe that I had no business ignoring, as I was poor as hell in LA and the salary was rad.

Unfortunately, my manager decided it was too difficult to work with me internationally, and my agent went into literature exclusively a few months ago.

So, I'm learning how to blind query now. So far, I simply use "Inquiry" in my subject line, and request an opportunity to properly query in the body. If I send to twenty people, I generally get five responses back. No bites thus far, but I knew it'd be difficult.

I'm still not sold on how I do things though. I'm trying to up my responses, and was hoping I might be able to get some insight from people that have had a level of success with their emailing approach.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Re: Query Style

Here's what I do that's been working (reasonably) well.

Subject: [title]--[genre]

[Name],

I've written a script I think you might be interested in. It's a [genre]; X meets Y.

Logline:

If you'd like to read, I'd be happy to send it right over.

Thanks,
    [your name]

Comment

Originally posted by dustinkh View Post
      So far, I simply use "Inquiry" in my subject line, and request an opportunity to properly query in the body.
      Don't send a request to send a query, just query. You don't need permission to query, only to send material. "No Unsolicited Submissions" means no scripts, material etc., not the initial query.

Comment

I use "Genre -- TITLE" in the subject line.

"Dear ____"

"Logline: ____"

"Pitch: ____"

"Thank you!"

Anything about you "thinking they'll be interested" or "if you like it, I'll send it" is already implied. As soon as they see a Genre/Title/Logline they know the drill. Bare bones is all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Northbank View Post
          Don't send a request to send a query, just query. You don't need permission to query, only to send material. "No Unsolicited Submissions" means no scripts, material etc., not the initial query.
          thanks for that clarification Northbank. I stupidly never put that together.

Comment

Working...
          X