Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #21
Why One

Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Karate View Post
I don't understand the pushback some of the pros are getting on other threads on this site.
Personally, I think it's down to good old fashion ignorance.

When someone has built their craft on bad advice, crappy learning, and misconcieved knowledge, it's difficult for them to see things any other way. Especially when they've done it long enough to declare themselves "experts" in the area.

It's like teaching a kid wanting to learn how to ride a bike to peddle with his hands instead of his feet. He might be uncomfortable, can't see where he is going, wobble all over the place and not go very fast -- but let him grow up riding this way and he'll resist cycling a different way.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
jamypac
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariot View Post
I hope they aren't taking anything personally.
Yes, because I don't want them to leave.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #23
zenplato

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefarer View Post
Welcome to DD, dude.
My thoughts exactly, lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #24
Hamboogul

I think the "backlash" against the pros is what makes this message board more fun. It's a bit like weekend softballers telling Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter how to play the game.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #25
sarajb

I feel the same way. Going to hear a professional writer speak is something I like to do, but you sit back and in your head go, yes, I see, oh, that's very interesting. But, here, it's interaction INTERACTION from the guy who just started writing yesterday to the guy who makes millions screenwriting.

A little resistance from random wannabe (usually) enhances the contrast, enriches the point and drives it home like no podium speech can. I love the discourse, even when I'm random wannabe who later kicks herself in the ass.

I hope you'll learn to see the value in it, Todd Karate, and know for every contrarian poster there are scores more silently reading and standing behind your words.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
Jeff_Shurtleff
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariot View Post

Jeff Shurtleff posts as if he is a pro (I have no idea if that's the case). He posts that dialogue doesn't matter. How can that be left on the board to be taken at face value
Not a pro, meaning I have never sold anything. Have I worked directly with pros? Yes.

Again, as I just posted in another thread, I never meant to say dialogue is unimportant. IMHO, IT'S FORTH ON THE LIST BEHIND HIGH CONCEPT, MARKETABILITY, AND STRUCTURE.

If any of you are lucky enough to sit down and rewrite a script with a star, you'll see how they contribute.

They are a star for a reason.

Jeff Shurtleff

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Just because it doesn't receive a consider, doesn't necessarily mean the script is terrible, though does it?
it's a B grade. what you really want is a "recommend" which is an A grade. so it's not terrible but it's not ready to go to the market either. however, this is just one person's opinion. AND it also might be a story, idea, or concept that exactly fits what a producer is looking for.

Quote:
I think the "backlash" against the pros is what makes this message board more fun. It's a bit like weekend softballers telling Albert Pujols and Derek Jeter how to play the game.
spike tv has made an entertaining show with this exact concept. JOES vs PROS
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
Paul Striver
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by belac View Post
I once had a discussion with someone who tried to tell me that here was no vodka in vodka sauce. Lol. That type of conversation happens a lot on donedeal.
For the first 30 or so years of my life, I refused all offers of coffee cake because I don't like the taste of coffee. I can't believe how much delicious cake I turned down. Why didn't someone explain it to me earlier!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
Knaight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Striver View Post
For the first 30 or so years of my life, I refused all offers of coffee cake because I don't like the taste of coffee. I can't believe how much delicious cake I turned down. Why didn't someone explain it to me earlier!

This describes me and zucchini bread.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #30
joe9alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post
I just want to clarify, mariot, I gave out less than 10 'full considers' last year.
I'm curious, Evil, why you (and really any script consultant can chime in here) use the pass, consider, recommend system? I mean when you give a script a consider are you actually considering it for anything? I understand why it's used for studio, production company, and agency coverage because those places are actually considering either the script or the writer for...something...I'm just curious as to why the script consultants mimic it? To me a system like "needs a page one rewrite," "needs a polish," and "ready to send" would make more sense. I don't know. I'm not trying to script consultant bash - lord knows I've done my share of that over the years on this site and others. I am just genuinely curious if you're actually considering a script for something when you give it a consider.