Protags: Likable? Relatable? Empathetic? Or is intriguing enough?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Protags: Likable? Relatable? Empathetic? Or is intriguing enough?

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Tell me more... what you are saying? Give me the behind the scenes...
    I can't remember where I read this first (years ago) and I can't find the article so if anyone assumes it's bullshit then I understand. I actually wonder that myself now.

Anyway- https://screenrant.com/breaking-bad-...hanged-reason/

Jesse was apparently going to die in the first season, and I recall reading that the guy who kills him is the guy Walt had tied up in the basement. I guess in an earlier draft Walt goes berserk on him after he kills Jesse and tortures him to death.

I figured it'd be pretty easy to find that source but I was wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

I heard that story 100 times so that's true that he wasn't supposed to be what he became -- but that seems to be key to a great show -- adapting to what happens.

LOST -- Ben Linus wasn't supposed to be what he became but the actor made the writers change their minds.

I love it when that happens.

Comment

Found where I read it- https://www.cracked.com/article_2109...-tv-shows.html

There's a link in that article with the apparent source.

Maybe it's not true still. I dunno. I used to love Cracked though (they accepted an article I wrote for them a while back but then backed out...bastards).

Agreed on the adaptability part. Reminds me of Harrison Ford shooting the guy in Raiders when it was supposed to be a sword fight. I also need to finish Lost. We started it back when I was a kid and it was still on the air. I think I got about to Ben's introduction.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          Please, I haven't overlooked anything and stop telling me what I'm misunderstanding, missing or confusing.
          I can only go off what you write and when a key point is not addressed then it's natural to assume it's been overlooked.

You just said sometimes we disagree and sometimes we agree, yet you come back and argue how you feel I missing something. Actions speak louder than words.
          Huh? There's no law that says if you disagree you cannot post again (especially when it appears your first hasn't got through). Besides,my response was aimed as much as SC as it was you.

Just state your own opinion instead of arguing why someone else is wrong because they don't agree with yours.
          Everything I stated was my opinion. It was explaining why I feel the way I do.Yes, we disagree but AFAIC, it was discussion and debate - not chastising someone for not agreeing with you. Nothing I've done has violated my previous statement that sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            All the things you're talking about -- I hope you saw The Wire
            I couldn't get into it.
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
              he went from a mild-mannered science teacher to a sociopath virtually overnight.
              Except he didn't.

He only killed one person in series one - 8-Ball - and only when it was his only option as 8-Ball refused his offer of making amends and tried to kill Walter when Walter was in the process of releasing him, making it clear that he will not let Walter or his family live. Walter was incredulous at 8-Ball's savagery and couldn't comprehend a) why he was so intractable and b) what he was going to have to do when 8-Ball refused to yield on his murderous promise.

Walter, especially in series 1-4, was a naive man unwittingly getting himself in deeper and deeper. He didn't flip from nice man to sociopathic killer. You don't have to change your opinion of not liking him but it's only fair that facts are pointed out.
              Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-25-2020, 04:27 AM.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                I can only go off what you write and when a key point is not addressed then it's natural to assume it's been overlooked.
                It's arrogant of you to expect that anyone is going to read, let alone address every point you think you make.

You may THINK you've made a key point, that doesn't mean you did. That's something YOU are assuming. Next time try ASSUMING that I may have found your point boring, irrelevant, or not interesting, and THAT'S why I didn't respond. Or, perhaps I wasn't interested in your comment or your opinion and just moved on.

The reason you ASSUME, is because you think highly of your own opinion, that, of course, it was made well.

Assumption isn't natural. It's a character flaw. It shows that one is incapable of understanding another person's POV. It's presumptuous. You are taking something for granted without proof. That's what assuming means.

I can respond the way I choose. To one comment, every comment, or no comments in a specific post. That doesn't mean I am missing anything, or that you need to continue to lecture me on YOUR very valuable "key points."

Huh? There's no law that says if you disagree you cannot post again (especially when it appears your first hasn't got through). Besides, my response was aimed as much as SC as it was you.
                You contradicted yourself, IMO, that was my point.

See the bolded? That's arrogance. You believe if someone doesn't agree with you, they are somehow ineptly incompetent.

Everything I stated was my opinion. It was explaining why I feel the way I do.Yes, we disagree but AFAIC, it was discussion and debate - not chastising someone for not agreeing with you. Nothing I've done has violated my previous statement that sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.
                Yes, you explained yourself a lot. I didn't ask you for your opinion. I didn't ask you for engagement. I didn't ask you to explain yourself. I simply posted my opinions to the OP's post. I agreed with one of your comments.

I wasn't debating you or your opinions, I was calling out the insulting way you approached your "debate."

On the third bolded part above, you were chastising and insulting when you used terms like this:
                • "What you've overlooked..."
                • "The key thing I think both of you are missing..."
                • "In other words, you can't help but have empathy. You simply cannot be human if you don't."
                • "By all means, dislike the show but at least understand what's going on before you write it off." Too condescending for me, honestly.
                • "yet you don't question your moral stance by supporting them." Neither sc111 or myself make any such claim. It's you assuming again.

Take a look at sc111 post #51. That is in NO WAY a debate or discussion, you are OUTRIGHT saying if YOU don't agree with ME, YOU are not human. It's a personal attack, argumentative and inflammatory.

And why? Because she didn't love a character you do? It's a childish, immature, passive aggressive way to shut someone down instead of addressing the comment like a grown up, accepting that perhaps your comment is inappropriate.

So, if it isn't yet clear, I am not interested in discussing or debating your opinion on this thread. I'm not interested in your assumptions, either.
                FA4 out.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

The most human thing you can do is fight about being human. We've all been locked up too long...

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    It's arrogant of you to expect that anyone is going to read, let alone address every point you think you make.
                    Actually, everything you said in your long, wearisome tirade is wrong. I already told you what was really going down at my end yet you have chosen to ignore that and stick to what you want to see. You criticise me for assuming whilst doing the same yourself, which is ironic.

Assuming is natural. That's how hypotheses are deduced, how patterns are recognised and blanks are filled. Eg: if you call to someone and they don't respond - as every parent can probably testify - it's fair to assume they didn't hear you, because that was the result every other time, so you call again, louder.

No, you didn't ask for my opinion but you're posting on a public forum so if you think anyone is going to ask for your permission before they comment then that's the arrogance and self-importance you accuse me of. As is chastising others for relying on assumption because you provided incomplete information.

Out. (But you won't be because you always want the last word).
                    Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-25-2020, 12:35 PM.
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

God damn. This reminds me of when I worked at McDonald's in the bad part of town.

Comment

This reminds me of every conversation ever with my friends or family. Fighting is how we show love.

Comment

That's a nice way of putting it. I'd have been divorced a long time ago if my wife and I showed love like that (but it happens occasionally).

Comment

I call it Judaism and east coast assholism. My wife threatens to kill my every single day.

Our couple friends asked how many good years we've had together -- and been together since high school -- so over 20 years -- and I go 7 years and she goes 2 years both at the same time without missing a beat and our friends couldn't' believe it. But we smiled and laughed.

Every "overly happy couple" I ever met -- got divorced or broke up.

Comment

Only one of us was fighting and it wasn't me. But hey, let's move on and get back to the topic - freely passing opinion and comment on other people's opinions and comments without being called out and insulted.
                              Last edited by SundownInRetreat; 06-25-2020, 07:52 AM.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Every "overly happy couple" I ever met -- got divorced or broke up
                                My wife and I have been "overly happy couple" for 24 years now. Now I'm starting to get worried.

Comment

Working...
                                X