Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
catcon

Default Re: When a Producer says "YES", what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
...Real entertainment lawyers charge 5% of whatever you make on the deal they're involved in. They do NOT charge a 'submission fee.'...
From my own analysis, yes, this would apply to a lawyer who already represents you as a writer; ie. no submission fee. But some lawyers are recognizing that there's an opportunity for new business as a result of the very common requirement by studios/prodcos to "only take submissions from agents or lawyers". Of the two lawyers I spoke about, one was very definitely a well-known name, the other less so. They're both "real" lawyers, but I wasn't one of their existing clients, so to get my foot in the door you have to come up with some creative initiatives sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
"Glad to hear you'd like to see the script. I'm between agents at the moment. I'm happy to submit with a release form...
I use the "submit a release form" too. It's professional and suggests you know what's going on in the world. However, "I'm between agents" may simply not suffice for this company. These people have their lawyers too and have been directed to satisfy minimum legal requirements.

I'd try the email as suggested, but you should have a back-up plan ready just in case. You're probably going to need an attorney some day anyway.

Main thing is, you don't want to lose this great opportunity!

Last edited by catcon : 05-26-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: oops, I missed the "may" in "may simply not..."
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote