Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing a Title

IMDB is full of examples where a title is shared by different movies. When is it "safe" for me to reuse an existing title on a new spec?

Off the bat, I am guessing it'd be okay if:
    • the other movie is 15+ years old
    • it was a different genre
    • has no major names (actors/directors/etc)
    • was never a blockbuster/award winner
    • has no other historical significance
    Agree or disagree? Please suggest some other factors to consider.

It is a bit like picking a jersey number that has been worn by somebody before you. You wouldn't pick #23 for the Bulls, but I think enough time has passed that #25 (Steve Kerr) would be fair game.

Re: Reusing a Title

Funny you should ask...

Just asked the same two days ago and here is the thread of great answers:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=72064

Hope that helps

Comment

There's no rule about not reusing titles. Happens all the time.

With the exception of certain iconic films (i.e. Star Wars, Transformers, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park) or unique, memorable titles (i.e. There Will Be Blood, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Glenn Gary Glenn Ross), you should feel safe in retooling a previously used title for a new film.

Comment

Thanks for these helpful answers. One less thing to worry about!

(And I did try to search...)

Comment

(And I did try to search...)
          The "search" feature is very nice (at the top of the page) and is usually helpful. However, you are right that nothing helpful pops up when you try "reusing a title" as the search term. Sometimes it is difficult to come up with a fairly unique set of search words.

Welcome to the board, hacque. Nice avatar.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

But be sure to check if it has a website, if you want to make one. I ran into this on my latest short, and think the first 20 choices for titles were taken!

(went with 'Into Abaddon' - a bit more obscure, but the meaning fit)
            www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
            http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

My feeling is, it's hard enough making your script stand out amidst an always-crowded field. You run a risk by using a title that could get you mistaken for someone else's film.

If you are firmly and unshakably convinced that this title is the way to go, stick with it, but if you can come up with something unique that works just as well, that's probably a better way to go.

Comment

When I come up with ANY title, I google it. You'd be surprised how many times what seemed like a good original title recurs, in the USA and abroad. I'm not just talking about generic titles like CASTLES IN THE AIR, or THE LIVING whatever, or THE WORLD OF--, or fill-in-the-blank AND AFTER, but oddball script monickers like JUDGEMENT NIGHT and WHEN PARALLELS COLLIDE.

That last one I'm still keeping, though. Just because a Japanese video game used it is no cause for me NOT to. Or is it...?

Comment

Okay, I finally made a decision so now I can sum up the comments:
                  • check availability of websites and do a Google search (to see what else is out there)
                  • don't reuse the titles from blockbuster movies
                  • avoid duplicating unique/memorable titles from the past
                  • balance picking something "different" with something that actually fits your story

Thanks for the replies and feedback. It helped.

Comment

I'm using a title which happens to be from an older film on my current spec. It just happens to sum up my story to a tee. Keeping it to myself for the moment.
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

One way to think of it is by borrowing a concept from copyright law. One way the law judges whether a brand name, logo, jingle, etc is being infringed upon is whether or not the use of the competitor's name, logo, jingle, etc will cause consumer confusion. A knock-off detergent company can't call their product "Tyde" because it might confuse consumers into buying it under the belief it is "Tide." Likewise, if you name your slapstick comedy about Chinese immigrants making a new life in San Francisco "Chinatown," the name alone will confuse people into thinking you mean the Polanski film even though the two have nothing to do with each other.

The question to consider: is the name still on the social radar? If you mention it, will people automatically think of the previous film? If not, it is safe to use.
                      scribbler screenwriting blog-o-zine - Celebrating its fifth year of bloggerdom!

Download a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms : The Absolute Essentials Edition completely FREE!

Comment

Working...
                      X