Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #21
Friday

Default Re: How do you make a good impression on that first meeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Ha!

It's goofy. "What? You wanna hear bones crunch. Ya douche."

An unmemorable handshake is the best kind IMO. If I remember it it's likely not for a good reason.

But, I try to keep sh!t casual. If we do drinks you're getting a "bro hug" at the end of the night. Just how I roll. "Cool, good hang, later bro!"

POINT: Don't over think it. These are regular ass people like you and me.

I'll admit this: I've hugged Richard Lovett and he leaned into it. HHHHHHHAAAAAA! I crack myself up. 100% true story.

Whenever guys try to do the hard handshake to show how good they are at the firm handshake, my impression is that they're trying too hard.

My real impression is really their smile and ease with things.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #22
Mark Somers

What if you show up buck naked with a good handshake?

Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #23
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Maybe, you're meeting a manager for the first time that's considering signing you. Or maybe, you're taking your first general meeting.

Any tips on what to consider when making a good first impression? What things to say, not say. How should you dress? Do you go to any shops to get the best look?
Write something so amazing they don't care who or what you are.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #24
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Whenever guys try to do the hard handshake to show how good they are at the firm handshake, my impression is that they're trying too hard.

My real impression is really their smile and ease with things.
Exactly.

Some of this "firm handshake" stuff feels overdone for me. Think about it, you'll def remember the handshake that was TOO firm ("weird... why's this dude trying to over compensate? [Think: Trump] FUKK ARE THEY HIDING? Bro, now I super don't trust you"). An easy/casual handshake is best IMO.

That, or a buck naked dude with a fukkin vice-grip handshake. That's a dude who's clearly willing to go the extra mile to crack me up! I'm buy'n that guy shots, because this is obviously just the beginning of a RAD night.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:36 AM   #25
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
I LOVE Battlefield Earth. And Keeping up with the Kardashians is my jam.

How am I doing in the room?
PERFECT!

I trust people with opinions. You can always tell when someone's trying to mirror you.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:11 AM   #26
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Write something so amazing they don't care who or what you are.

That's going to take a while, lol.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 AM   #27
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Exactly.

Some of this "firm handshake" stuff feels overdone for me. Think about it, you'll def remember the handshake that was TOO firm ("weird... why's this dude trying to over compensate? [Think: Trump] FUKK ARE THEY HIDING? Bro, now I super don't trust you"). An easy/casual handshake is best IMO.

That, or a buck naked dude with a fukkin vice-grip handshake. That's a dude who's clearly willing to go the extra mile to crack me up! I'm buy'n that guy shots, because this is obviously just the beginning of a RAD night.

It's not even a good litmus test because every dude that reads that you're supposed to have a firm handshake will try to do a firm handshake. Trump's handshake is the most bizarre thing ever. He pulls it towards him and then does that tug of war thing. They even showed a funny clip of him holding onto the French President's hand for like 4 minutes, then grabs his shoulder. The French President, knowing what Trump is doing, to establish dominance, does it right back. It's pure buffoonery. We live in bizarre times.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #28
docgonzo

Not to bring up the handshake thing again, but a big fat NO on doing a double. It's ****ing weird, and a little pervy. I can't help but think of that scene in PRIMARY COLORS where we see the slow-mo close up of Travolta/Clinton doing that, and how he puts his hands on someone's arm or elbow. It's just bizarre and weird, and something I wouldn't do.

Though I did get a hug once after a general. That was nice and ENTIRELY in character with the exec I met with.

Also, these meetings are NOT like corporate meetings. Not even close. I've been in plenty of those as well, and it's just not the same. Corporate meetings are very formal, where it's considered good etiquette to robotically look from one person to the next to the next. They want you to be practiced and polished.

Generals or rep meetings are way more casual, so if you come off polished and practiced, it'll be considered weird. You want to be on your best behavior, of course. But you're about to work with people where you're going to have in-depth conversations about murder, sex, love, relationships, violence, and all manner of f*cked up things that go into movies and TV. There's a level of intimacy in this business, in terms of how you relate to people, that just doesn't exist in the corporate world. You have to be willing to go there and talk about things that would normally not sit well with the VP of marketing at Innertec. You don't do that right away (though in TV you might in a staffing meeting because writer rooms do get crazy personal), but it's something you will work toward.

All this is to say that these kinds of meetings are more akin to dating. You want the other person to want you, because ultimately you're trying to get the other person into bed.

Yeah, be yourself. But also make them want you and remember you (in a good way). Whether generals or otherwise, they're meeting lots of people and it's real easy to forget what's his/her name they met with at 11am.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #29
Satriales
Regular

The hugging thing threw me for a loop. Not that I’m weirded out by it but I felt like Pesci in My Cousin Vinny watching the chef cook with lard. “You people hear about the ongoing #metoo thing in the industry?”
Satriales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 AM   #30
docgonzo

I'm a dude and the exec was female. So it was all good!
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote