Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best shows about the film biz?

I love ENTOURAGE, CALIFORNICATION, EPISODES... I watch them over and over again. Is there anything new out there that I'm not aware of? Preferably on Netflix or Prime. Also, I always like shows about writers and the publishing biz, so I welcome recommendations there, too.

Thanks guys!

Re: Best shows about the film biz?

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I remember that one. Loved it. Didn't last long enough. That would be a fun one to binge watch again if it's streaming somewhere, thanks for the reminder.

Comment

GET SHORTY on EPIX is an underrated romp in the film business. They have three seasons now. It's inspired by the same book as the movie, but it's not an adaptation of the book like the movie. Here's the blurb from the website:

Inspired by the best-selling novel, Miles Daly (Chris O’Dowd), the muscle for a Nevada crime ring, attempts to change professions and become a movie producer with the help of washed-up filmmaker Rick Moreweather (Ray Romano).

Ray Romano and Chris O'Dowd are hysterical in their roles. I hope you watch it, because I'd love to chat about it. It seems I'm the only one I know who actually watched this thing.

Comment

Action

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
            GET SHORTY on EPIX is an underrated romp in the film business. They have three seasons now. It's inspired by the same book as the movie, but it's not an adaptation of the book like the movie. Here's the blurb from the website:

Inspired by the best-selling novel, Miles Daly (Chris O’Dowd), the muscle for a Nevada crime ring, attempts to change professions and become a movie producer with the help of washed-up filmmaker Rick Moreweather (Ray Romano).

Ray Romano and Chris O'Dowd are hysterical in their roles. I hope you watch it, because I'd love to chat about it. It seems I'm the only one I know who actually watched this thing.
            Nice! Thanks for the tip! I see I can get a 7-day free trial of EPIX on Amazon Prime so I will DEF be watching this weekend. I love those two actors, especially Chris Dowd. Never even heard of either the show or EPIX. This is very exciting!

An under-the-radar film about the movie biz is the one with Alec Baldwin who plays an FBI agent who pretends to make a movie so he can go after the Teamsters. He recruits aspiring screenwriter Matthew Broderick with promises to produce his desert-set love story, but the Teamsters he's after are in Baltimore, so he's always adding new compromises to Broderick's masterpiece, like insisting a warehouse is better than a desert, etc. THE LAST SHOT. Joan Cusack makes a short by unforgettable appearance as a big shot Hollywood producer teaching the FBI thugs how to produce.

There's also STATE AND MAIN, also with Baldwin and an all-star cast, about a Hollywood shoot that takes over a small town in New England. I just watched it again recently and it wasn't as funny as I remembered, but worth it for the cast. William H. Macy, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jessica Sarah Parker and others. H. Macy was also in another film about a film, with Meg Ryan, can't remember the name.

@JoeBanks: thanks for the suggestion, will check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
              Nice! Thanks for the tip! I see I can get a 7-day free trial of EPIX on Amazon Prime so I will DEF be watching this weekend. I love those two actors, especially Chris Dowd. Never even heard of either the show or EPIX. This is very exciting!

An under-the-radar film about the movie biz is the one with Alec Baldwin who plays an FBI agent who pretends to make a movie so he can go after the Teamsters. He recruits aspiring screenwriter Matthew Broderick with promises to produce his desert-set love story, but the Teamsters he's after are in Baltimore, so he's always adding new compromises to Broderick's masterpiece, like insisting a warehouse is better than a desert, etc. THE LAST SHOT. Joan Cusack makes a short by unforgettable appearance as a big shot Hollywood producer teaching the FBI thugs how to produce.

There's also STATE AND MAIN, also with Baldwin and an all-star cast, about a Hollywood shoot that takes over a small town in New England. I just watched it again recently and it wasn't as funny as I remembered, but worth it for the cast. William H. Macy, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jessica Sarah Parker and others. H. Macy was also in another film about a film, with Meg Ryan, can't remember the name.

@JoeBanks: thanks for the suggestion, will check it out!
              I'm going to watch THE LAST SHOT this weekend. It sounds vaguely familiar, but it was released (in 2004) when I wasn't watching a lot of movies. So I missed it. Thank you! And let me know what you think of GET SHORTY.

Comment

The Player, 1992, with Tim Robbins. Someone (screenwriter?) begins stalking/taunting a studio exec. When the exec is asked if he's pissed anyone off lately, Robbins, the exec, says something like he thinks its a writer. "They want me to say yes to them and make their movie. The problem is I can only say yes...my studio can only say yes a few times a year. And collectively we hear about a thousand stories a year."

Lots of cameos, too!

Comment

The Comeback. As close to accurate portrayal of a sitcom I’ve seen.

Comment

Working...
                  X