• Show
Clear All

• Terminator Genisys

http://youtu.be/62E4FJTwSuc

Any thoughts?
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Re: Terminator Genisys

What worries me is a bit of simple logic:

a) Judgement Day can NEVER be stopped once and for all. Why? Because then the franchise would end once and for all -- not happening.

b) Therefore, the plot of each film LOGICALLY MUST BE a hopeless / futile battle to stop Skynet / Judgement Day.

c) Therefore, like the characters in the movie, us poor viewers are trapped in a never-ending time loop of nearly identical Terminator films.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

This reminds me of how Sony tried to rejuvinate the Spiderman franchise with The Amazing Spiderman. The movie was good, but it had that we already seen this feel to it. That's the feeling I get here when I watch this trailer. The only difference is that this movie doesn't look that good, and the acting looks bad. I cringed when that actress said "Come with me if you want to live...now soldier". I really liked Salvation but this trailer didn't give me any high hopes. I think I'm over Terminator.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
        What worries me is a bit of simple logic:

a) Judgement Day can NEVER be stopped once and for all. Why? Because then the franchise would end once and for all -- not happening.

b) Therefore, the plot of each film LOGICALLY MUST BE a hopeless / futile battle to stop Skynet / Judgement Day.

c) Therefore, like the characters in the movie, us poor viewers are trapped in a never-ending time loop of nearly identical Terminator films.
        I agree. What I would like to see is a Terminator Prequel of sorts where we actually get to see and live in Judgement Day. That might be cool.

Comment

I can't believe they don't just go back and kill Hitler in this

Comment

At first I was actually vaguely optimistic. After that cover shoot where the actors all had this look of, "What exactly am I doing here?", I actually appreciated the retread of the first film's look. I thought maybe an interpretation of the first film with the added legacy might be promising. Practically, it will probably be Into Darkness, reference-laden (they wasted no time getting to "Come with me if you want to live!") and quasi-sensical, but there is potential in to take the road less traveled.

Then the trailer suddenly screamed, "F*** YOU, BEASLEY. Here's some dumb summer movie histrionics!" for the rest of the duration.

Weirdly enough, I watched the trailer right before my first viewing of Into Darkness since the theatrical release and there's a practically identical shot of people hanging off of stuff.

Won't be in any rush to see it in the theaters, but there's a lingering curiosity.

Comment

The title is weird. Thought up by a dyslexic texting on his cell phone?

Trailers is like a mix of the first movie and the second. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing! Not sure why the main enemy looks identical to T2's Terminator. Tad unoriginal to go with another Terminator disguised as a cop. Perhaps a Terminator in the guise of a plain clothes FBI agent would have been something a bit different?

Arnold Schwarzenegger's older Terminator leaping out of the helicopter - not the most realistic CGI I've seen. That was the only shot that looked noticeably fake or cheesy. But, overall, looks fun. Has a James Cameron-ish 1990s vibe to it. And that's just what modern movie making is about.

Making movies that feel 20 years old.

Last edited by moviefan; 12-05-2014, 04:37 AM.

Comment

"I need your glasses, your dentures, and your hairpiece."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                  I can't believe they don't just go back and kill Hitler in this
                  Killing Alan Turing would make more sense.

Comment

Does Cameron get paid or any royalties from any of these Terminator movies? Just curious.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                      Does Cameron get paid or any royalties from any of these Terminator movies? Just curious.
                      LOL. Why would he? Terminator is Harlan Ellison's story.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                        I'm sure he gets a "characters created by" credit which puts a couple of bucks in his pocket.
                        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Nevermind I found it, he sold the rights to the producer for a dollar in exchange for him being able to direct it.
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I was tempted to just write "ugh" here, but I'll press on. It wasn't as bad as the reviewers claimed, but they nailed one thing: it was just one long re-tread of the same stuff we saw in the other 4 films. Saying I didn't see anything new here is an understatement.

SPOILERS

The plot was OK given they've completely run out of ways to send someone back in time to save the leader of a resistance, but what was worse were the characters. There were so many "talkie" scenes between Reese and Sarah trying to establish character and their relationship, but it did neither. Reese still felt like a cardboard cut-out. And their romance / love felt hollow and empty.

I'd say the worse thing they did to the storyline was make Skynet into a digital human. What made Skynet so interesting / menacing was that it WASN'T HUMAN. It was a mind in a machine. But making it a digital child, who grows into a teen, then adult sucks all fear out of the idea. Humanizing Skynet completely f*cked up this world for me.

Comment

Saw it on Thursday, and don't really care what anyone else says, I liked it. It was a fun revisit. I thought Arnold was a hoot. I didn't even mind the whole alternate timeline doesn't quite jive, but thanks for trying to explain it twice.

It was worth my money, but then I love Terminator.

Spoiler Alert:

Just how did John Conner find that helicopter so fast that he could literally be hot on their a$$es? Kinda felt a few editing blips.

It was better than Jurassic World but still my top two for the year are Mad Max and Ex Machina.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                              X