• Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you like to write?

On paper.
    TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      Great list, Centos, thanks for sharing it. I especially love the Beth Bruc-- beautiful.

One of my favorite types of vocals is ARIA-- you know that haunting solo in epics, like 300, Troy, and other amazing films, love love it.

The Magic Flute by Mozart is one of my all time favs. I think they did a version of it in The Fifth Element and changed it to a very upbeat contemporary version. Loved it.
      Lacy J. Dalton -- "Standin' Knee Deep"

Just found it recently.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

A little late to the party here, but finding this a fascinating thread. For me the space I'm in definitely matters.

I typically write Emily Dickinson-style: in the attic. It's a finished space (mostly), but it's the seclusion and intimate nature of the space that appeals. The ceiling slopes--some people might call it "claustrophobic"--but I like a small space for writing (didn't Stephen King write Carrie in a tiny laundry room? and didn't JK Rowling write her first book in a bedroom closet?).

The other space that works is the cabin in my (small) sailboat--not enough room even to stand up, but like the attic it offers a small, private, cozy space.

I've written in a local pub (a pint of Scotch ale definitely helps lubricate the imagination) but if things get too busy then the noise and commotion start to distract.

I also find that writing near a fireplace or a woodstove with glass doors is productive--something about staring into flames while pondering something or trying to figure out a problem is helpful. Sure beats staring at a computer screen!

Comment

On the brain tanned hides of my critics.
          TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

I find I need a bit of privacy and a distraction free environment, so Starbucks and local coffee shops don't usually work for me. Luckily, my local library has a set of reservable rooms. I find myself either writing there or in the back (secluded) section of an Ikea cafe.

Comment

It's been a while since the last reply to this thread but it was interesting to read where people like to write.

Mostly I'm in my living room with no distractions, but sometimes I like to go to my local park and sit there when it's nice. It's mostly quiet and I seem to concentrate well there.

Comment

Working...
              X