Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #41
Southern_land

Default Re: Where do you like to write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
But I'm a horse trainer by trade so there's lots of mindless work on the farm and I've found I do my best thinking while mucking stalls. Dunno what it says about my ideas that they come to me while I'm literally shoveling ****.
Mindless work is great. I can generally trip my brain into "I'd rather be anywhere but here" mod in seconds and start chipping away at any number of story problems.

Writing though? At home, with the family all around. Optimum time to write is that glorious 50min period between me getting home and my partner getting home, step son at the other end of the house screaming Fortnightish or Minecraft at his friends, step daughter studying and me with YouTube playing music at a barely tolerable volume and drowning out all the pyschobabble of the day that has just been. The only time I emerge is if YouTube throws a **** song at me or the kids come to complain the music is loud.

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #42
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Hmm... I thought that was the whole point of Starbuck's-- to create a "hang out" environment?

How can they charge an occupancy fee if there are tables open? Crazy. In my little neck of the woods in North Dallas, there are a number of cafe/restaurants within walking distance, the problem is looking for the best wi-fi. haha

TigerFang-- I agree with you, anything Mozart and I'm in heaven. Vivaldi is nice too. I also listen to soundtracks like Vango does, which I love-- mostly it's Hans Zimmer or Tyler Bates. I should expand.

I have power beats and studio beats, because hanging out around town with power beats on, people don't hassle you. studio beats are for the aircraft because I need noise cancelling, in case people get friendly next to me or there's an infant struggling with the pressure changes.

I usually have CNN playing in the background or light classical or rain/wind/water sounds-- anything with words and I get distracted. Once I start writing I zone out. If I'm listening to a podcast at the same time I am constantly rewinding it-- it's a strange practice.

When I'm in a zone I don't even notice that I'm not listening to anything.

Today is the first day in about 6 months where I can sit on my patio in the morning and it's not already a stifling 90 degrees. It's currently 70 degrees with "good" air quality.

The only thing I like about massive snow storms was sitting in my office and watching it consume everything outside with a soft yet relentless "whispering" of snow piling up atop itself.

I'm not sure I could handle TF's 40' x 40' space but I was thinking that a "wespace" might be something i'd like to try. not sure. Has anyone else rented space to write?

FA4

It's probably different in different areas. In New York and Los Angeles, for instance, they usually want to get customers in and out as soon as possible. Of course, most of the time, they do it more subtly - not as transparent as that tea shop that put on that sign -- and that tea shop seems to be less busy now. I read an article where it said that Starbucks deliberately removed couches and just had wooden chairs so people don't get too comfortable squatting there too long.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #43
Bono

This is just a general post not directed at anyone before I offend my friends:

I'm a writer and I love coffee shops. And I've written there. But I find it annoying if a customer takes up a table for more than 2 hours and even more upsetting when they don't even buy a somthing every 2 hours -- that's like the unwritten rule. Starbucks in NYC, I cared less as there are 1000 of them and someone is going to take the seat, often someone that doesn't buy anything.

My rule is I sit there for 2 hours at most and leave. I just feel bad sitting there any longer and also more than that and I'm just wasting time anyway.

I'm just saying -- there is a small coffee shop in town and the guy has signs pleding with people saying the place will close if you don't buy something. He has to buy for the WiFi and electricity... and he's not wrong. He is mean and direct though. He'll kick out old people. However, I see his point. And he would be a good TV show character. In real life CHEERS would be closed because NORM put them out of business.

I'm just saying, maybe sit there for 2 to 4 hours, buy some coffee and muffins, be nice and then maybe go find another coffee shop to write in. Or Panera. Or whereever.

Wanting to sit there for 12 hours is unfair I think to everyone including your own ass!

And the point of all coffee places is to make money. Not help writers sit there. I know we get confused by this. I'm just saying, when I'm with my kid getting Starbucks coffee and I see a guy taking out a table for 5 all day and he has a coffee cup from 7-11 you want to punch that guy in the face.

I just don't think people look at the other side enough. Imagine working at Starbucks and having to look at my dumb face all day? My friend who is a writer worked at Starbucks and trying to get people to leave who just squatted all day was horrible. I watched 1 episode of Fleabag and had a great scene of a guy setting up his office in the coffee/muffin shop and he didn't want to order anything.

I typed this at home FYI.

Last edited by Bono : 10-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #44
Vango
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post

I find it annoying if a customer takes up a table for more than 2 hours and even more upsetting when they don't even buy a somthing every 2 hours -- that's like the unwritten rule.
Seems like a perfect Larry David moment for you to step in and teach a lesson, Bono. KO them on the spot.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #45
TigerFang

Quote:
I'm not sure I could handle TF's 40' x 40' space but I was thinking that a "wespace" might be something i'd like to try. not sure. Has anyone else rented space to write?

FA4
A forty by forty-foot area is a big space, all right. It was what was available, so I took it. It is carpeted, though, so that helps reduce the echo of any noise that I might make. But it is so damn quiet that I hear the hum of the ballasts from the fluorescent lighting. That is when the lights go off, if it is sunny enough, and I often write by window light. When it is cloudy or dark outside, and the lights must be on, that is when I break out the Bluetooth headphones and Mozart.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #46
Mark Somers

On paper.

Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:53 AM   #47
StoryWriter

Quote:
Great list, Centos, thanks for sharing it. I especially love the Beth Bruc-- beautiful.

One of my favorite types of vocals is ARIA-- you know that haunting solo in epics, like 300, Troy, and other amazing films, love love it.

The Magic Flute by Mozart is one of my all time favs. I think they did a version of it in The Fifth Element and changed it to a very upbeat contemporary version. Loved it.
Lacy J. Dalton -- "Standin' Knee Deep"

Just found it recently.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #48
Megunticook
User

A little late to the party here, but finding this a fascinating thread. For me the space I'm in definitely matters.

I typically write Emily Dickinson-style: in the attic. It's a finished space (mostly), but it's the seclusion and intimate nature of the space that appeals. The ceiling slopes--some people might call it "claustrophobic"--but I like a small space for writing (didn't Stephen King write Carrie in a tiny laundry room? and didn't JK Rowling write her first book in a bedroom closet?).

The other space that works is the cabin in my (small) sailboat--not enough room even to stand up, but like the attic it offers a small, private, cozy space.

I've written in a local pub (a pint of Scotch ale definitely helps lubricate the imagination) but if things get too busy then the noise and commotion start to distract.

I also find that writing near a fireplace or a woodstove with glass doors is productive--something about staring into flames while pondering something or trying to figure out a problem is helpful. Sure beats staring at a computer screen!
Megunticook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #49
Mark Somers

On the brain tanned hides of my critics.

Hey! You might do it in your house, but in this house we don't lick our butts. -- Mother Teresa

Mark Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #50
flamegrilledwhopper
User

I find I need a bit of privacy and a distraction free environment, so Starbucks and local coffee shops don't usually work for me. Luckily, my local library has a set of reservable rooms. I find myself either writing there or in the back (secluded) section of an Ikea cafe.
flamegrilledwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote