Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Kids Films of My Youth

Man does anybody remember those incredibly dark kids films from the late 80s and early 90s? Like Secret of NIMH where the widowed mother is just trying to save the life of her bed ridden son and nearly gets murdered by ax wielding psychopathic rats?

Or how bout All Dogs Go to Heaven which starts with the main characters narrowly escaping the penetentiary, going to some underground gambling parlor, getting murdered by some gangster dogs who drown him by tieing him up and rolling him off a pier in a car. Not to mention drive by shootings and kidnappings.

Or Land Before Time which starts with a bunch of parents getting murdered and then the little dinosaurs have to go through hell to meet up with there surviving relatives.

Or Fievel which starts with a bunch of Russian Jewish mice getting forced out of there homeland by murderous Cossack cats and then turns into Gangs of New York with cats and mice.

Or Time Bandits where the main character goes gallivanting with God's midget servants turned thieves only to see his parents get murdered by microwaved evil at the end of the film

Or Dark Crystal, whatever the f*ck that was.

I swear all these crazy dark adult children's films had such a profound effect on my childhood and it kind of makes me sad that nowadays the only things around are happy go lucky kid's films with tons of pop culture references. It's funny to me how people think Toy Story 3 was dark because it looked like they were gonna die in that one scene but that's nothing compared to the kids films from that era. I mean I love Pixar too, and there early films were really part of my childhood, but I'd love to see someone make some crazy dark kid's films again. I mean I don't think the world got any less dark and violent since back then so why should our children's movies?

Re: The Dark Kids Films of My Youth

Return to Oz...

-chris

Comment

Today, there's Monster House, but I kinda agree with you. Family films are so safe today, I wouldn't want my kids watch any of it, if I had any kids.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Oh man, the original Transformers animated movie... everyone dies in the first 20 minutes! talk about dark sheesh

Comment

Coraline was good. And it actually looked really good in 3D.

HH

Comment

Original Transformers, MOVIE. Sheesh. That movie has stayed with me. talk about Dark, everyone gets killed at the beginning. That Optimus prime death, had so much dread behind it -- and when he releases the Crystal on that Operating table to i think MAGNUS? Epic. I'm hyped for TRANSFORMERS 3, it seems to have a real dread about it.

I'm sick of these happy movies, we need to bring that darkness, and edginess back. Great post. I'm sick of TWILIGHT.

Never Ending Story had a darkness about it. It's the one movie I hope gets remade, Leo has the rights and it's set up at Warner Bros. Also LEGEND with Tom Cruise was pretty dark for a kids movie.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPolynomial View Post
              Return to Oz...

End thread...

That one was the worst. Creeped the sh*t outta me.

I'd toss in watership down too.

Comment

Big Friendly Giant still gives me the willies thinking about it...

Brave Little Toaster, the insane clown nightmare and thte weird freak show chop shop.

Comment

While not necessarily dark, I'm still trying to fully understand the ending of "Explorers"

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
                    I'd toss in watership down too.
                    Have you seen the Plague Dogs too? Gahh! What happened to Western animation? Can you believe they used to show this to children:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5mc...ature=related?
                    Last edited by Archduke; 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Jesus Christ what is this movie:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXytN...eature=related ?

There's so many freaky cartoons from that era I haven't even heard of.

Comment

Cool. I didn't know this was a movie. The book was great.

HH

Comment

i thought this was pretty dark for a kids flick http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/ the death of humanity, poison gas and wanton destruction
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPolynomial View Post
                            Return to Oz...

A horror for kids
                            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

I'll never forget those Faerie Tale Theatre episodes narrated by Shelley Duvall. Creepy as hell...

Comment

Working...
                              X