Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Whiplash" wins MORE screenplay competition

I'm pleased to announce that my screenplay "Whiplash" won the First Prize in the MORE magazine screenplay contest, competing against more than 1000 other entries.

http://www.more.com/more/story.jsp?s...1396164085.xml

The script was also in the top 30 (out of more than 5,000 entries) in the 2007 Nicholl Fellowship competition.

LOGLINE:

To bring her brother's killer to justice, a young woman disguises herself as a man and works her way across the country as a stagecoach driver, pursued by a jaded ex-Confederate officer who threatens to expose her true identity -- and steal her heart. (Based on a true story.)

The script was judged in the MORE final round by:

Angela Bassett, Academy Award nominated actress
    Ilene Chaiken, creator of The L Word
    Glenn Close, five-time Academy Award nominated actress
    Lindsay Doran, producer (Stranger Than Fiction, Nanny McPhee, Sense and Sensibility)
    Mary Hansell, screenplay competition director, Austin Film Festival
    Diana Ossana, Academy Award winning Brokeback Mountain screenwriter
    Jeanne Tripplehorn, actress from HBO's acclaimed Big Love.
    Sela Ward, Emmy Award and Screen Actors Guild Awards winning actress

The prize is:
    First-Place Prize

• <LI minmax_bound="true">$5,000 cash; <LI minmax_bound="true">at least one carefully matched meeting with the development director at a prominent film production company and/or with a prominent movie agent; <LI minmax_bound="true">a workshop of her film at the Austin Writers' Ranch, early 2008; <LI minmax_bound="true">producer-level badge to the Austin Film Festival, October 2008; <LI minmax_bound="true">press and online attention; <LI minmax_bound="true">spa getaway;
    • and other prizes.
    I'm also invited to a dinner with the judges on December 10 at Chateau Marmont.

LauriD
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: &quot;Whiplash&quot; wins MORE screenplay competition

Congrats, LauriD!
    "Can't we have one meeting that doesn't end with digging up a corpse?" -- Mayor Quimby

"You've watched it! You can't unwatch it!" -- Narrator

Comment

Big congrats. This is awesome.
      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Well done, Laura. Big Congrats! Hope it gets to film and you have a great time at next year's Austin.

Comment

Major congrats Laura. Keep it on the up-and-up!

EJ

Comment

Congrats Laur...and if you've never been to the Austin Film Fest, you're going to love it.

Comment

Nice work! Very esteemed panel of judges.

Comment

That's absolutely fantastic! Congratulations!
                The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

That's stupendous, Lauri!

Comment

Congratulations Lauri!

Curious, and forgive me if this is not right to ask, but do you feel like, just by the timing of the strike, this was not the best time to win a contest like this?

I only ask because a friend of mine was actually a Nicholls contest finalist for this year. She didn't win, but she is feeling very, very down anyway because for the first time ever, for that very big competition, no one seems to care this year (in fact, she says most people in town do not even know that winners were even selected!!)

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
                        Congratulations Lauri!

Curious, and forgive me if this is not right to ask, but do you feel like, just by the timing of the strike, this was not the best time to win a contest like this?

I only ask because a friend of mine was actually a Nicholls contest finalist for this year. She didn't win, but she is feeling very, very down anyway because for the first time ever, for that very big competition, no one seems to care this year (in fact, she says most people in town do not even know that winners were even selected!!)
                        Actually, the MORE people said that they're getting an especially good turnout for the dinner BECAUSE of the strike....

So it may not be a good time to sell, but it's a good time to schmooze...

Also, as a non-WGA person I can, of course, still sell to non-WGA prodcos, and several of my scripts could be made for a modest, non-sig budget.

L.
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Oh, very good to hear Laurie, and many congratulations again.

Comment

Working...
                          X