X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get my short comedy stories produced - Input, please

Hi there,

I hope you people are ok!

I'd like your inputs and experience on this, please.

I've been writing short comedy stories, it's something I like and also have fun with. I'd like to produce those stories, but I don't have the resources for that.

So I Ithought that maybe I could send some of my material to a cable channel here in my country. It's a very small channel but it's all about comedy stuff. I've sent them an email saying that I write comedy short stories but since I don't have the resources to produce them, maybe they would think about it if they read some of my material, if they want to, of course. I didn't send anything, i was hoping that maybe they could reply, but maybe I'm too naive because they didn't and they most likely wont, for sure.

I've also should have asked first if they do accept unsolicited material (I've just read about it after). I'm really novice regarding this huge business.

I also didn't send anything because I was afraid that they could just ignore me and do something without my consent, but I guess it's a risk I'd have to take and I know this is a very, very difficult business.

Do you guys think I should just send another email asking if they accept unsolicited material?

Thank you all for your time

Re: Trying to get my short comedy stories produced - Input, please

If you've workshopped your material and think it's at its best, I'd copyright it first (as you seem concerned about this). I'm not sure what that process would be in your country, but worth looking into.

Have you tried calling the station and seeing if they have a person or department in charge of new content or submissions? It's worth trying to understand how they handle/procure new material, as it could be your best way in.

As an alternative path, have you thought of filming some of your material and posting it on youtube? Could be an interesting way to garner attention these days.

Best of luck.

Comment

Read this:

The Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices: Chapter 2000

Pay particular attention to § 2003.

§ 2003.2(A) Eligibility Based on Nationality or Domicile:

“Aside from U.S. nationals and domiciliaries, authors who are nationals or domiciliaries of any treaty party at the time of first publication can obtain U.S. protection for a foreign work.”

Also, read this:

Circular 38A International Copyright Relations of the United States

This will tell you what treaties, if any, bind your nation to U.S. Copyright.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
        If you've workshopped your material and think it's at its best, I'd copyright it first (as you seem concerned about this). I'm not sure what that process would be in your country, but worth looking into.

Have you tried calling the station and seeing if they have a person or department in charge of new content or submissions? It's worth trying to understand how they handle/procure new material, as it could be your best way in.

As an alternative path, have you thought of filming some of your material and posting it on youtube? Could be an interesting way to garner attention these days.

Best of luck.
        Thanks for your reply.

I haven't tried to call yet. However, I know two guys that are or were related to it. One of them I think it did or does some stand up there and maybe other stuff and I've also noticed that he is a "facebook friend" with someone that works in the creative department. I don't know but maybe he has some connections there.

The other guy worked there as an assistant I guess.
        I think I'll try to reach at least one of them by Facebook. But first I want to write a spec TV Pilot, so I can have something more than just comedy short stories to show.

Actually I have 3 youtube videos yes, but they're not that great.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
          Read this:

The Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices: Chapter 2000

Pay particular attention to § 2003.

§ 2003.2(A) Eligibility Based on Nationality or Domicile:

"Aside from U.S. nationals and domiciliaries, authors who are nationals or domiciliaries of any treaty party at the time of first publication can obtain U.S. protection for a foreign work.-

Also, read this:

Circular 38A International Copyright Relations of the United States

This will tell you what treaties, if any, bind your nation to U.S. Copyright.
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X