Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #31
finalact4

Default Re: Abrams Artists Signs WGA CoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
Right? Someone made the comment about non-WGA writer packaging but that doesn't seem likely to me, since they [agents] don't accept outside queries and everything is through recommendations, I don't see that happening, does anyone else?

Unless there is a flux of managers sending their non-wga writers to agencies? And what is the likelyhood that a manager is going to set up a non-WGA writer to cannibalize his own WGA writer's ability to get a deal? Maybe i'm being naive?

And what's with this talk that big4 WGA writer clients are working with their agents on the sly?

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #32
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
And what's with this talk that big4 WGA writer clients are working with their agents on the sly?
Where it gets murky is with writer-producers and writer-directors. I've heard there are many hyphenates that are still being repped in their non-writer capacities by their former big4 agents.

HTH,

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #33
Satriales
Regular

Quote:
Right? Someone made the comment about non-WGA writer packaging but that doesn't seem likely to me, since they [agents] don't accept outside queries and everything is through recommendations, I don't see that happening, does anyone else?

Unless there is a flux of managers sending their non-wga writers to agencies? And what is the likelyhood that a manager is going to set up a non-WGA writer to cannibalize his own WGA writer's ability to get a deal? Maybe i'm being naive?

I’m not yet in the guild. My current thing is being packaged by a big two.

Any writer who is not in the WGA, their manager is still submitting stuff to entities that have not signed the agreement. Obviously this happens even without the standoff - managers submit non-guild writers to agencies. But now, the willingness of an agent to sign them as a one off (and get fired once they are in the guild) and take out a project seems to be...not great. But, if you’ve got something you can package with director and actor talent? That works.

We submitted to a guy at a three letter place who had championed stuff internally previously. And this was not highly commercial stuff. This one is much more so. Didn’t hear a peep back. We ultimately get an A list director pushing it, who is repped at said place. Now the agent is all in. It’s just a weird time. I honestly don’t care and am not concerning myself with the machinations of how it will all play out.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #34
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
Iím not yet in the guild. My current thing is being packaged by a big two.

Any writer who is not in the WGA, their manager is still submitting stuff to entities that have not signed the agreement. Obviously this happens even without the standoff - managers submit non-guild writers to agencies. But now, the willingness of an agent to sign them as a one off (and get fired once they are in the guild) and take out a project seems to be...not great. But, if youíve got something you can package with director and actor talent? That works.

We submitted to a guy at a three letter place who had championed stuff internally previously. And this was not highly commercial stuff. This one is much more so. Didnít hear a peep back. We ultimately get an A list director pushing it, who is repped at said place. Now the agent is all in. Itís just a weird time. I honestly donít care and am not concerning myself with the machinations of how it will all play out.
Gotcha. that makes sense.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 01-31-2020, 11:17 AM   #35
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
Where it gets murky is with writer-producers and writer-directors. I've heard there are many hyphenates that are still being repped in their non-writer capacities by their former big4 agents.

HTH,
So they're using their hyphenate to basically continue packaging even though as a writer, they "shouldn't." They're subverting the guild's directive, legally, for selfish reasons, but still making other writers suffer for better good of the Guild members, then?

If that's the case, it's disappointing, because it gives a false sense of self-sacrifice and camaraderie, that doesn't really exist, to the rest of the membership.

And that's 1) too bad, and 2) disappointing that their sacrifice, which would help the overall cause the Guild, isn't being made.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 01-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #36
KitchonaSteve
Regular

Quote:
So they're using their hyphenate to basically continue packaging even though as a writer, they "shouldn't." They're subverting the guild's directive, legally, for selfish reasons, but still making other writers suffer for better good of the Guild members, then?

If that's the case, it's disappointing, because it gives a false sense of self-sacrifice and camaraderie, that doesn't really exist, to the rest of the membership.

And that's 1) too bad, and 2) disappointing that their sacrifice, which would help the overall cause the Guild, isn't being made.
I don't how much packaging is going on with the hyphenates, but I know that feature writers have been disadvantaged the most business-wise during this action. TV writers tend to use their professional network to find their jobs, whereas feature writers rely much more heavily on their agents to get them into rooms and point them to OWAs, etc.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #37
JoeBanks

Quote:
Not sure if anyone else has joined Adam McKay in disavowing packaging fees even in his producer role, but many hyphenates signed their overall deals via agents before the firings. I agree the best practice would probably be Adam's position but I also understand from the agents' POV, "hey, we did our production deal before so that's still in effect even if we don't rep you as a writer anymore."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...ls-1203302713/
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #38
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
Not sure if anyone else has joined Adam McKay in disavowing packaging fees even in his producer role, but many hyphenates signed their overall deals via agents before the firings. I agree the best practice would probably be Adam's position but I also understand from the agents' POV, "hey, we did our production deal before so that's still in effect even if we don't rep you as a writer anymore."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/a...ls-1203302713/
Yeah, I hear ya, I'm not talking about the pre-existing deals, I get that and, of course, the deals should remain in place, but there is some chatter in the comments of some of these articles that suggest big writers are still dealing with their agents--

One possible way, might be through the use of their hyphenates. I don't have any empirical knowledge, just what I'm getting from the commenters.

I admire Adam's move.

www.LisaMolusis.com