No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JS Integrity Management

Originally posted by seanryan View Post
    She has asked me to sign a "shopping agreement" but I find her attitude rather "strange".

I won't go into the details on a public board, but I have been rather shocked to be honest. But I have been working so hard to find representation I tried to ignore the red (screaming) flags.
    Why on Earth would you ignore the screaming red flags?

Listen; desperate decisions create desperate situations. Listen to your instincts.

Comment

She is getting ready to announce a "merger" with Marvin Acuna.
      And their offices will be on a cruise ship, outside U.S. territorial waters and beyond California law. FYI, it will be the same ship where Big Marvin staged his mega-successful "screenwriter cruise."
      Nuff said.

Comment

Listen to Geoff and others. Avoid.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Thanks all. I wasn't able to find anything negative, that is why I posted here.

The red flags mentioned is in the way she communicated with me by phone and email - really talked down and treated badly.

I live in Ireland and have four kids/no full time job with a script I know has a strong hook, so I am/was desperate for connections as I am located so far from the game. That is why I tried to ignore red flags.

Thanks for the feedback all, I really appreciate it.
          Writing bio: http://seanryanmovies.blogspot.ie/2012/09/my-bio.html

Comment

Thanks all. I wasn't able to find anything negative, that is why I posted here.

The red flags mentioned is in the way she communicated with me by phone and email - really talked down and treated badly.

I live in Ireland and have four kids/no full time job with a script I know has a strong hook, so I am/was desperate for connections as I am located so far from the game. That is why I tried to ignore red flags.

Thanks for the feedback all, I really appreciate it.
            Are you querying managers, agents and production companies?

Comment

Trying to by going through the Imdb route, and Lit agency books, but doesn't seem to be easy when you're an unknown/new writer.

No hits as yet.

Comment

I'd have to concur with Geoff and LILAMA, run as fast as hell as you can from this faux manager, Julie Stern. I once sent a blind query for a largely NONFICTION-based action-adventure/war screenplay and she sent me back some kind of inane reply (at least she was prompt to her credit) saying she was passing because war/action movies "don't sell" today.

I then went into a variety of databases (IMDB, etc.) and put an Excel spreadsheet together listing all of the top grossing motion pictures in the action-adventure and war genres -- among the LARGEST grossers of all genres. But I got no replies to the PDF'ed charts I put together -- figuring this in one Lit Manager who is either an AMATEUR/NOVICE or just someone OBLIVIOUS to logic and reasoning.

I truly believer there are some great, astute and connected Lit Managers based out of New York, but JS Integrity could as easily be based on Mars based on Ms. Stern's blissful ignorance when it comes to the movie and TV businesses! Stay away from this RABBIT HOLE of illogic like the plague!

Comment

Originally posted by Alyssa Runswithwolves
                  This woman is a predator. I really struggled with posting something negative here as I'm not into that kind thing; gossip, for me, is a waste of time. I was warned not to associate with her, yet, I was involved with another writer in a project I believed in. I thought I could handle the situation with professionalism, honesty and patience. The relationship would be temporary only. I thought I could handle it. Sometimes, you will meet people that are so out of touch with reality it will hammershock you. This woman is one of them. I won't say more, but in the spirit of looking out for each other in this very tough business, my advice is to walk away and never look back.
                  "Out of touch with reality" pretty much says, it all for Julie Stern!

Comment

Trying to by going through the Imdb route, and Lit agency books, but doesn't seem to be easy when you're an unknown/new writer.

No hits as yet.
                    Sean, you may also want to try the FREE website database, http://www.everyonewhosanyone.com -- it is not as up-to-date on some of his email contacts and the agents/managers/prodtn people who are always moving around, but the guy Gerard who writes it is extremely entertaining in a snarky kind of way with fellow scribes' feelings! He always seems to get some good jabs at some larger Hollywood studio egos and ent. lawyers in particular -- given how frustrating it is for newbie, unproduced writers his brand of humor can be good medicine.

Happy hunting!

Comment

Thanks all. Back to hunting and query letters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ink-Stained Wretch View Post
                        ... she was passing because war/action movies "don't sell" today.

I then went into a variety of databases (IMDB, etc.) and put an Excel spreadsheet together listing all of the top grossing motion pictures in the action-adventure and war genres -- among the LARGEST grossers of all genres. But I got no replies to the PDF'ed charts I put together -- figuring this in one Lit Manager who is either an AMATEUR/NOVICE or just someone OBLIVIOUS to logic and reasoning.
                        To be fair, your response wasn't logical either.

She claimed that the genre wasn't selling. To dispute it, you could produce a list of all the recent sales and show that x% of them were that genre.

But saying that they were successful in the past doesn't mean that they sell today. Even if it is a successful genre today, that doesn't mean that it is a popular thing to buy ... they've probably already bought the rights to upteen war/action movies already .. so they can develop projects from their archives without buying more.

Is that true? I dunno. But I do know that the BBC has enjoyed major successes with war genre TV shows, but right now they simply aren't interested in buying any more. Heck - Downton Abbey is a major success right now ... but right now they are looking to buy contemporary shows instead of those set historically. Are they right to do that? Who knows? But I certainly can't prove that the BBC wants to buy wartime dramas now, simply by pointing out that they've done them very successfully in the past!

So someone can be correct in saying that a certain genre isn't selling well at the moment even if that genre has been extremely popular over the years. It doesn't prove that they are 'either an AMATEUR/NOVICE or just someone OBLIVIOUS to logic and reasoning'.

I'm not saying that this manager isn't a bad idea for other reasons ... but this may not be one of them.

Mac
                        Last edited by Mac H.; 11-11-2012, 07:34 AM.
                        New blogposts:
                        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Yeah, I'll echo Mac's response: If they don't want it, for whatever reason, I'm not sure it's a good idea to respond back with charts to show how wrong they are.

Just say, "Thanks for your time" and move on. When you sell it, that's a lot more powerful evidence than a pdf.

HH

Comment

I've never been associated with her, but I can confirm what others have said about JS. Stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
                              To be fair, your response wasn't logical either.

She claimed that the genre wasn't selling. To dispute it, you could produce a list of all the recent sales and show that x% of them were that genre.

But saying that they were successful in the past doesn't mean that they sell today. Even if it is a successful genre today, that doesn't mean that it is a popular thing to buy ... they've probably already bought the rights to upteen war/action movies already .. so they can develop projects from their archives without buying more.

Is that true? I dunno. But I do know that the BBC has enjoyed major successes with war genre TV shows, but right now they simply aren't interested in buying any more. Heck - Downton Abbey is a major success right now ... but right now they are looking to buy contemporary shows instead of those set historically. Are they right to do that? Who knows? But I certainly can't prove that the BBC wants to buy wartime dramas now, simply by pointing out that they've done them very successfully in the past!

So someone can be correct in saying that a certain genre isn't selling well at the moment even if that genre has been extremely popular over the years. It doesn't prove that they are 'either an AMATEUR/NOVICE or just someone OBLIVIOUS to logic and reasoning'.

I'm not saying that this manager isn't a bad idea for other reasons ... but this may not be one of them.

Mac
                              Mac, you certainly made some tangent, viable points about Ms. Stern contending war genre movies might not be selling right now. However, maybe I should have clarified that by also saying I also looked at grosses for "blended" sci-fi/action-adventure/war dramas too and I think you could look at how any number of recent films featuring such elements ("Avatar," "District 9," etc.) offer great global BO and ROI -- the only reasons why I put together those Excel sheets with the grosses and ROIs were because Ms. Stern really seemed to tacitly/blindly dismiss any of those type of war or blended genre films WITHOUT even looking close at the loglines and/or synopses of new scripts being offered her way.

I'm not saying what I've written is the next "District 9" or "Inglorious Basterds" (though I have pulled up a lot previously classified intelligence and military op material), but it is beyond my comprehension how some agents and lit managers really fail to take little more than a cursory scan of a query letter and summarily dismiss any further exploration of a single-page treatment, a sample 10- or 20-page script excerpt or even requesting a script simply based on what is "not selling" at the very moment. It's not just even Julie Stern but a lot of other middlemen "gatekeepers" who may be crippling themselves (and MP business overall) with such myopic thinking and dismissive mindsets.

Maybe my original premise appeared "illogical" to you at face-value and maybe too much of my ire was unfairly aimed at Julie Stern, but I would just say she should have NOT even bothered respond to me about what is NOT selling right now to begin with. I just don't always buy into these "blanket"-type statements without really researching what screenplays are selling and returning in global BO receipts in the marketplace today, IMHO.

That said, my apologies if I seemed to overly personalize an attack on Ms. Stern's character or business-sense -- I didn't mean to sound overly cruel or insensitive, but I guess the proof of her ability is simply done by looking at her IMDB credits and seeing what she has put into the marketplace(?). My fault is that I should have been more selective and careful in who I'm sending my query letters to!

Peace out!

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                                Yeah, I'll echo Mac's response: If they don't want it, for whatever reason, I'm not sure it's a good idea to respond back with charts to show how wrong they are.

Just say, "Thanks for your time" and move on. When you sell it, that's a lot more powerful evidence than a pdf.

HH
                                Hi HH, I'll take that on good notice and I haven't since done any of my other PDF research papers since that one instance! I really also did those Excel charts of the BO grosses and ROI multiples for my own "marketing website" behind the IP i've written, so I guess Ms. Stern's short blanket statement kind of gave me incentive to do it??!!

You're right, though, I almost always close any query response with a simple "Thank you for your time" response. I guess it's just quick blanket statements that sometimes raise "flags" and my own curiosity to research what is "selling" in the market and what the BO revenue potential is for certain genres -- chalk it up to me a long-time "ink-stained" media trade journalist/wretch!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X