Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroin signature...

Sure there's a lot of types of heroin originating in Afganistan, Thailand, China, Mexico, Cambodia, etc. and generally these types of smack are easily traced to a country of origin. But...

But can the chemical properties of a certain type of junk be traced to a particular lab in said country. I'm currently working on a project that would tie different crimes together on different coasts if there was a "heroin signature" that would put a lab, or a chemist together with the same drug.

Food for thought... I'm going to give the DEA a call in Seattle tomorrow and see if they can help (they don't use e-mail). But I thought I'd throw it up in the air and see if anyone here knew the answer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rev

I did a Google search on "heroin identify source" (without quotes), and the search returned some great links.

The DEA has had the Heroin Signature Program (HSP) since 1971. I didn't read enough to determine if the DEA is able to tell which specific lab the heroin came from. However, they apparently can identify the part of the world where the heroin came from with 90% success.

There's also something similar called the Domestic Monitoring Program (DMP), also run by the DEA.

Comment

Thanks...

I'll try the same search. I tried "different heroin types" without a lot of success... Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

But can the chemical properties of a certain type of junk be traced to a particular lab in said country.
        Simple answer. No. The chemicals used in the production come from around the world, as does the opium. Heroin is manufactured legally in many countries, including England. It is the most effective painkiller known to man. Also the most demonized. Illegal almost everywhere. What a shame.
        However, they apparently can identify the part of the world where the heroin came from with 90% success.
        Augie. This is simply not true. The DEA will say or do anything to advance their cause and gain more funding. The HSP has been a complete failure.

Rev. Don't let the fact that a chemical signature trail does not exist affect your screenplay. Invent your own CST.

Comment

Great idea...

It's off to the chemical drawing board.

Now where's that chemistry set? :b

Comment

Working...
          X