Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Action Movies

So you're only asking about "pure" action films? No hybrids? In that case you can't count much of anything except Die Hard.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Here we go, into the minutiae of what constitutes an action film; genres, sub genres and sub-sub genres :/

Comment

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 was great. Kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through. Great opener too.

Comment

I'm not that anal.

Let's say any movie that features a signifcant amount of action. The only genre I'll exclude are westerns as action is somewhat part if that genre.

More recent stuff though is my focus.

I'll add The Expendables and Rambo:

I liked Rambo very much. It showed how a civil war was inhumane. It wasn't grand cimena, but a good closing act for the series ( assuming from the closing shots). Stallone played the aging warrior to a T.

The Expendables was 80's cheesy goodness. Couldn't help myself the first veiwing, it was a ton of fun seeing all the guys on screen (except for Couture - he need more acting lessons). Second veiwing, yeah it's uneven and not all that imaginative, but who cares. I'm an 80s guy and it was a throwback.

Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Terminator, Aliens, Predator... all classics of action.
          Half a bubble off level... systems normal.

Comment

I'll pick up on Rambo. Lots of guys call it a guy's film and enjoy it's barbarism. I was shocked when I watched it - shocked because I thought it was not the light and disposable man fodder that I expected it to (and which parts 2 & 3 were). I found it to be a very powerful commentary on man's brutality, the inhumanity of war, how innocence and naivity are destroyed (eg: the little boy with the captain and the anti war doctor forced to smash a man's head in with a stone).

Whether by design or accident, I found it to be very moving - and the action sequences were like nothing I'd seen before. Just sheer awesomeness.

Comment

Zombieland and Tropic Thunder are clearly films that belong in the comedy genre much more than anywhere else. You wouldn't put Planes, Trains and Automobiles in with dramas just because of one or two scenes, or No Country For Old Men in with comedies because it has some funny parts. That's just plain dumb.

Anyway...

X-Men: First Class - a few minor blemishes on the screenplay do not keep this from being an exciting, enjoyable and well-made film.

Avatar - people like to bitch because it "borrowed" from Pocahontas and Dances With Wolves, but I'm perfectly okay with that because the story is told with competence, unlike something such as The Dark Knight or X-Men 3

Taken - this story is tighter than the girdle of a baptist minister's wife at an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast. A great script to study to learn how to tell a competent action story, unlike something such as The Dark Knight or Spiderman 3.

District 9 - now if only Blomkamp gets to shoot a Halo movie in the style of his shorts. Until then, this will have to do.

Star Trek - just a damn good movie. Much better than something such as The Dark Knight or Hellboy 2.

Cloverfield - I liked it; many do not. However, the idea of an intimate, realistic view of a Godzilla-like attack is pretty brilliant.

Also, many animated films could fall into this category, since many are primarily action-oriented, such as nearly everything from Pixar, How to Train Your Dragon, Kung-Fu Panda, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Despicable Me, etc. This is where you will find 90% of the most well-written modern films. It's quite rare to find an animated film as jumbled and disjointed as The Dark Knight or Iron Man 2.

Comment

Originally posted by ViningWolff View Post
                The Expendables was 80's cheesy goodness. Couldn't help myself the first veiwing, it was a ton of fun seeing all the guys on screen (except for Couture - he need more acting lessons). Second veiwing, yeah it's uneven and not all that imaginative, but who cares. I'm an 80s guy and it was a throwback.

Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Terminator, Aliens, Predator... all classics of action.
                I literally grew up watching these films, but The Expendables was embarrassingly pathetic. It was akin to a decrepit grandmother putting on her dusty old bikini from back when she looked sexy. NOT THE SAME. AT ALL.

Comment

Bio - I agree. On the second viewing, the expendables took on the old Nothern Pikes song "She ain't pretty, she just looks that way."

Comment

Saying that Tropic Thunder is not an action film is absolutely ridiculous. I and IMDB both believe that Tropic Thunder and Zombieland are action films. I can at least see why someone would hesitate about Zombieland, but Tropic Thunder? Seriously? I questions your comprehension of what an action film is if you don't think that is one.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                      Saying that Tropic Thunder is not an action film is absolutely ridiculous. I and IMDB both believe that Tropic Thunder and Zombieland are action films. I can at least see why someone would hesitate about Zombieland, but Tropic Thunder? Seriously? I questions your comprehension of what an action film is if you don't think that is one.
                      Ooooo, IMBD, the paramount authority...the site that lists The Shawshank Redemption as the #1 movie of all time. Not even the best movie of 1994.

Tropic Thunder is a comedy.

Next topic, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                        Ooooo, IMBD, the paramount authority...the site that lists The Shawshank Redemption as the #1 movie of all time. Not even the best movie of 1994.

Tropic Thunder is a comedy.

Next topic, please.
                        Honestly, I take your opinion about as seriously as a chipmunk's.

Tropic Thunder is a comedy AND an action film. You do realize it's possible to have both, right? The movie is a parody of ACTION films. It opens with helicopters and explosions and gunfire. A man gets his head blown off on a landmine. They are chased by drug lords. A bridge explodes as they run from it. A rocket is launched at a helicopter. There is a fist fight with a little martial arts kid. Or do you believe that if every waking second of a film doesn't contain an explosion, it must not be an action film? Opinions like that are why so many terrible paint-by-numbers films get made in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                          Yeah, your opinion outweighs that of the 600,000 who voted for it and it's IMDB's fault that its users voted for the film.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                            Honestly, I take your opinion about as seriously as a chipmunk's.
                            That's good, because nobody gives a shit.

Originally posted by 1mper1um View Post
                            Yeah, your opinion outweighs that of the 600,000 who voted for it and it's IMDB's fault that its users voted for the film.
                            For this top 250, only votes from regular voters are considered.

What's a "regular voter"?

Comment

Fair point about the regular voter bit but your IMDB comments aren't valid criticism.

Comment

Man, I forgot about District 9. Was impressed by it. The Halo short was brilliant.

Tropic Thunder along with Pineapple Express would be action comedies, though I must say I didn't really enjoy either one.

Comment

Working...
                                X