Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query Blasters and Query Websites

I am doing research on methods of querying beyond the single email.

What are some opinions on Query Blasters? Any success -- failure?

What are some opinions on query websites such as Virtual Pitchfest?

If one existed, what would be the idea of your ideal query website?

Re: Query Blasters and Query Websites

I wouldn't use a query blaster - it's a form letter everyone can spot a mile away. Don't be lazy - put the time and effort into researching your targets, and send your queries one at a time. You will get better results.

Comment

Never used an online pitch site. Does anyone in Hollywood even visit those sites?

As for query blasters - I second docgonzo. Don't use them, they're sh!t. Most, if not all of the industry considers them SPAM. I'm yet to hear of anyone gaining a reputable manager or agent from using this method.

Do your own research and target managers and agents accordingly. It's more work, but if you use a blaster, you may as well p!ss your money down a drain.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I've tried them all and have to agree that it's a big waste of money. Yeah, they make it sound like it's an easy way to get your query right in the hands of producers -- but there's no easy way. They ignore blasts. As for virtualpitchfest, they do have a long list of producers, managers and agents who claim to be open to their queries. And they do list what genres and type(s) of material they're interested in. However, based on my latest experience, you query them on the exact genre(s) they claim to be interested in -- then they reject your query because they are not interested in that type of material. Granted, it could be the logline that doesn't interest them, but it's basically a form response which tells me they really don't give it serious consideration anyway.

Like everyone else here mentioned, the best way to query is through a very targeted approach on your own -- and without paying any service. That includes inktip. Roll up your sleeves and do the work yourself. It's the only way to go unless you have lots of money to burn.

Comment

inktip is too passive

you might want to try http://www.scriptpimp.com
          they list producers, managers, and agents. tell you who will work with new writers and each say how they want to be queried, and what they're looking for.

Comment

Oh yeah -- Script Pimp. My membership there doesn't run out until... 2015 I think?

I am putting time and effort in researching. Just curious to see if that was a an "easy way out". I am stockpiling contacts in the Action, Adventure, Thriller, and Horror genres. Tiring process.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsinogatorp Eht View Post
              Oh yeah -- Script Pimp. My membership there doesn't run out until... 2015 I think?

I am putting time and effort in researching. Just curious to see if that was a an "easy way out". I am stockpiling contacts in the Action, Adventure, Thriller, and Horror genres. Tiring process.
              Sounds like you had a better query strategy, from what you told me earlier...

Comment

I am trying that on Monday with a thriller spec.

Comment

Just a thought which might deserve its own place in another forum . . .

What about using the Agent/Manager's name in the subject line? Such as:

Query for John Doe

Comment

Originally posted by Tsinogatorp Eht View Post
                    Just a thought which might deserve its own place in another forum . . .

What about using the Agent/Manager's name in the subject line? Such as:

Query for John Doe
                    Presumably, you'll have that agent/manager's email, so that will be redundant. I'd just put the title and genre.

Comment

Don't use the word 'Query' in the subject line. Many companies have their spam filters set to identify that word and trash the email. Also, most agents are too busy to read queries, so all you would be doing is making it easy for them to delete your email unread. I like to put something captivating in the subject line that relates to the title or plot of my script...something that makes them want to open it up. Maybe a tagline....maybe a clever twist of words. Or use the subject line to sell yourself. "New Thriller from Nicholl Finalist" or some such thing.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                        inktip is too passive

you might want to try http://www.scriptpimp.com
                        they list producers, managers, and agents. tell you who will work with new writers and each say how they want to be queried, and what they're looking for.

Is this the Writer's Database they advertise? Seems expensive.. but then I guess at $99.95 a year it's cheaper than $50 for 4 months at Inktip.

Comment

I recently got a script request from Gersh using virtualpitchfest.com

Mind you, I got way more script requests from big agencies just sending out queries on my own. And that cost me nothing at all.

Gary

Comment

I used the ScriptExpress query blaster when I was starting out (about 6 years ago).

For the first couple years it worked fairly well, but then the requests off it dropped off precipitously.

I've since switched to querying by grind and that's far more effective.

However -- a query blaster will still get your query to (solid) places you didn't know existed to query and so I've been considering using a blast service a couple months after I finished my regular querying for a script.
                            Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                              I recently got a script request from Gersh using virtualpitchfest.com
                              Virtual Pitchfest is very different from a query blaster (for those who don't know what it is, it's a service where you pay about $10 per individual query letter that is sent, but it guarantees that the person you query will read and respond to your letter).

I've used it for places where I can't find an email address, which are often bigger companies, and it's been okay for that.

On the one hand, that's a lot of bloody money to spend for one query letter.

On the other hand, my recent script is getting read by Rat Entertainment and Radar Pictures because of it.

But I'm also concerned to what extent the reads are more "courtesy reads" coming out from it. I got one read from Gunn films a while back and when the reader got back to me she said they weren't looking to produce any films now. Maybe she read it because she was bored, or had some reading quota from her company.

Does anyone know if VPF pays them if they request a script on top of reading the query? Though, given that it's at most ten bucks I can't see that being a huge incentive.
                              Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Working...
                              X