Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbucks -- Free WiFi July 1st

Maybe someone posted this here already and most of you might know this -- but since I just bought an iPod touch and live in NYC, I was happy to hear that starting on July 1st Starbucks would now offer free WiFi at all locations.

Pretty awesome for us writers is my main point as I assume many of us spend time at the coffee shop writing or you just want to check your email as you wander around town.

Re: Starbucks -- Free WiFi July 1st

I vaguely remember being able to buy a gift card and using that to log in to their WiFi. I think the difference now is that you don't need to jump through the hoops. At 3-4 dollars a coffee I would hope so!!
    The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

Been free for over a year with a Starbucks gift card with a $5 balance (and mine has gotten down to pennies without them cutting me off). And that free wifi has worked for me in a couple of countries and all over the USA. So I have no idea what makes this new free wifi different than the old free wifi...

Except McDonalds is rolling out free wifi, and their coffee wins blind taste tests against Starbucks.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I like my local coffee shops, but this is good to know if I'm travelling.

And Bill -- what's it like writing in a McDonalds?
        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Guess there were enough complaints from the homeless people in the LA area Starbucks to make a difference.

Comment

I think the biggest difference is, with the current policy didn't Starbucks give you 2 hours max ONCE a day? So you couldn't run around, come and go using wifi there. You could use 1 minute or 2 hours, but only a one off.

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/22761/...i-fi-is-coming

Of course, I never used WiFi at Starbucks. It gave me an excuse to focus on writing. But of course with the iPod Touch, I just really want to be able to check email when I'm out of the house.

COFFEE RANT

I'm from MA so we were raised on Dunkin' Donuts which is still great. It doesn't taste quite as good in NYC as it does back home, but that might just be the service.

Starbucks regular coffee is awful, unless you fill half of it up with cream like I do. But I go there for their fun $6 dollar flavor coffees with 1000 calories! Delicious.

And McDonald's coffee is really good. Of course I think 7-11 is good too.

I think Starbucks Coffee is just like the iPhone. They are good at everything except what is in their name. The coffee isn't very good and the phone is the worst part of the iPhone.

Plenty of better local choices that I enjoy, but I do love my chains. I really do. I'm a consumer whore!

I like coffee talk.
            Last edited by Bono; 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

this is awesome news for me

Comment

Bono, what part of MA are you from? I'm from the Northampton area and I've always thought Dunkin Donuts coffee tastes like it's flavored with tomatoes and cardboard. Seriously. I like their donuts, though.

I'm a big fan of a black regular Starbucks coffee, so maybe it's just that our tastes are way different.
                QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Typewriter View Post
                  At 3-4 dollars a coffee I would hope so!!
                  $3-4 s!!!!!!! x 365 x 10 years never makin' a sale

=$12,000 approx

I think I'll stick to my USB modem which gives me t'internet everywhere for less than $10 for a whole month.

Maybe if they start doin' coffee mugs with built-in internet touchscreens round t'outside.

*Maybe*...

Comment

KBuck -- 3/4 bucks was in reference to how much coffee costs, not Internet usage. Either way, I hope no one would spend 12 straight years in a Starbucks.

Knaight -- My hometown in MA is about 5 minutes from Gillette Stadium. I guess the Dunkin Donuts on RTE 1 are just better.

Comment

This is great news for me. I spend a lot of time in NYC. I spent years learning all the Starbucks where you could catch a neighbor's unsecured signal. I'm not jumping through Starbucks' hoops just to check my email.

Comment

Working...
                      X