An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested?

I queried an agent and he read my screenplay. He said he'll write me back soon with some notes. He's not my agent (yet) so should I be doing re-writes for this guy? Does this mean he's interested in the script/me? Have you guys ran into anything like this before?

Thanks!

Re: An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested?

Assuming the guy is legitimate:

It might mean he's interested. It might not. The simple truth is that you can not do a rewrite motivated entirely by the notion that this guy will rep you if you execute his notes.

The problem is that reading a script takes an hour of his time. Giving notes takes another hour. And then he can forget about it and move on - he hasn't committed anything. And you go spend months of your time on the notes and he reads it again but, meh, it's a little less thrilling (because everything is a little less thrilling the second time around) and maybe you didn't nail them.

"I loved it, let me give you notes," can be a trap.

When the guy gives you notes, you can certainly ask him questions like, "If we nail this, would you want to represent this script?" but remember he's not making any promises.

Spend some time with the notes. If they're good notes, execute them because they're good notes - not because of a vague hint about possible representation. If they're bad notes, don't execute them.

Comment

I agree with the above. I would wait until you actually get the notes before you even ask this question. If he actually sits down and writes up the notes, that's a step in the right direction.

A lot of people won't take that step.

Give it a couple weeks, and see if anything appears in your inbox. Drop a reminder note if time goes by and nothing has happened.

Should you keep querying, or keep it off the table until you get the notes? I don't know, people, what do you think? I'd wait a couple/three weeks and see if notes really arrived. Or at least I would have used to. Now I'd assume smoke is being blown and move on, cause the waiting makes me crazy and often doesn't pay off. Interested in hearing what the peanut gallery thinks.

Comment

I had a manger call me after reading my script and say "grab a pen, I have some notes" I was then held on the phone for a half hour listening and jotting down notes I wasn't expecting and after he delivered them he said "Now that you have my notes, I don't want you taking the script to someone else." It was gross.

Comment

Execute the notes if you agree with them and believe they will improve your script. If you don't agree with the notes, don't execute them. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
            I agree with the above. I would wait until you actually get the notes before you even ask this question. If he actually sits down and writes up the notes, that's a step in the right direction.

A lot of people won't take that step.

Give it a couple weeks, and see if anything appears in your inbox. Drop a reminder note if time goes by and nothing has happened.

Should you keep querying, or keep it off the table until you get the notes? I don't know, people, what do you think? I'd wait a couple/three weeks and see if notes really arrived. Or at least I would have used to. Now I'd assume smoke is being blown and move on, cause the waiting makes me crazy and often doesn't pay off. Interested in hearing what the peanut gallery thinks.
            As to your question Carcar,

I'd be thrilled he indicated he wishes to write some notes. But, I wouldn't hold off on querying further unless he specifically said he'd have them for you within a time certain. If he's truly interested and were to somehow learn you're still flipping it out there, I figure it might hasten his efforts.

If and once you receive any notes Filmmagician, I wonder if you shouldn't exercise some caution against adopting any of his changes until you work out an agreement on them or establish some form of working relationship first. Just my initial, offhand thoughts. Good luck!
            Last edited by MJ Scribe; 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM.
            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Did he even say if he liked the script or not?
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Filmmagician View Post
                I queried an agent and he read my screenplay. He said he'll write me back soon with some notes. He's not my agent (yet) so should I be doing re-writes for this guy? Does this mean he's interested in the script/me? Have you guys ran into anything like this before?

Thanks!
                No rewrites, until you sign a contract with the guy.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I agree with everyone - it's hard to advise when you haven't even seen the depth of notes or felt the agent's excitement.

With that said, when people give notes on a cold-query script, the implication is: "Here's what it will take to make this script awesome... and I am in the business of working with awesome."

So in answer to your actual questions:

1. Do the rewrites if you agree with them and sense this guy is genuinely excited.

2. Yes, he is interested in the script, and by extension, you. Otherwise, he wouldn't waste the time.

3. Yes, this happens all the time. Sometimes it's a trap and you end up doing endless free rewrites. Sometimes it will move the needle from "intrigued" to "excited." And thus a career is born.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ Scribe View Post

If and once you receive any notes Wenonah, I wonder if you shouldn't exercise some caution against adopting any of his changes until you work out an agreement on them or establish some form of working relationship first. Just my initial, offhand thoughts. Good luck!
                    Thanks, MJ I didn't like his notes at all, they were awful. I extricated myself from the tentative relationship. I agree though, he should have given me a little more foreplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                      No rewrites, until you sign a contract with the guy.
                      I disagree. Rewrites are a case-by-case basis when you're starting out. The OP needs to feel out the agent's excitement level, and determine how reasonable the notes are.

A contract with an agent is fairly useless for the writer. It guarantees the agent their 10%, but it doesn't guarantee the writer that their script will be adequately represented.

Comment

I'm with Bunker on the contract thing. You don't need a contract.

My guess is it's maybe moving toward hip pocket type situation with the potential for you to become a full-fledged client.

BUT...

Just ask him, dude.

He's not gonna turn you into stone or anything if you ask him to clarify the relationship.

And frankly, he's the only one that can provide that clarification/
                        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

thanks for noting that Joe9alt, I didn't know and would've thought otherwise.
                          Good to know. If a manager's heading toward a hip pocket situation, you then
                          do the notes and basically see how things are headed?

really wasn't sure how that part worked... thanks!
                          " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

There's no hard and fast rule. If the guy seems cool and like somebody you'd want to work with/somebody who can sell you or your work then maybe you decide to enter into a hip pocket type situation? It's your call. The rep would hopefully be upfront about that and explain the arrangement, though. There should be no mystery in terms of the communication between you and your potential rep -- if you have a question -- ask them. If they don't answer then that would raise a red flag in my mind about their abilities. Like any potentially fruitful relationship, communication is key. Just ask him if he is offering to rep you basically and see what he says. It's kind of weird that he would jump into notes before clarifying the relationship but stanger things have happened. A lot of these cats have short attention spans.
                            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Re: An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested

Depends how legit the agent is. Who is it? I
                              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X