Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empire

What, no thread for Empire? (Or maybe I missed it.) I am totally hooked on this enjoyably trashy, over-the-top musical soap. Especially Taraji P. Henson's character, Cookie -- I haven't loved a smart-mouthed female character on TV so much since... well, since Maggie Smith's Lady Grantham in Downton Abby.

Late Night Writer

Re: Empire

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
    What, no thread for Empire? (Or maybe I missed it.) I am totally hooked on this enjoyably trashy, over-the-top musical soap. Especially Taraji P. Henson's character, Cookie -- I haven't loved a smart-mouthed female character on TV so much since... well, since Maggie Smith's Lady Grantham in Downton Abby.

Late Night Writer
    There was a thread previously that only got a few replies. It's not one of the best-written shows on TV, but is certainly one of the most entertaining. I'm guessing it hasn't generated much chatter because it doesn't appeal that much to the DDP demographic (older, non-hip-hop fans).
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Agree. Pure entertainment. It reminds me of Revenge/Season One. Thought it might fizzle out this year (so much conflict in Season 1 and hype) but figured it was a good sign when they brought Marisa Tomei on. So far, not disappointed.

Comment

I'm guessing it hasn't generated much chatter because it doesn't appeal that much to the DDP demographic (older, non-hip-hop fans).
        Oh, snap! This show is a hoot, at any age. The writing of the prison scene between Terrence Howard's character and Chris Rock was priceless. It's basically King Lear, shoved through a hip-hop lens.

Late Night Writer

Comment

It's basically King Lear, shoved through a hip-hop lens.
          Don't they reference King Lear in the pilot, even?

Comment

There's a great interview with co-creator Danny Strong on the 2nd Episode of 3rd & Fairfax.
            Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
            3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
              It's not one of the best-written shows on TV
              I actually think it IS one of the best-written shows on TV. And that's up against some pretty stiff competition.

Comment

I tend to agree, 60Words. The show keeps taking me by surprise. For example, the prison jam that Terrence Howard recorded. That was awesome - - as good as any hip hop song in recent memory and, damn, it's just part of a TV show. These aren't covers. The songs are original music.

Who knows how long they can sustain this level of quality? I'm just enjoying it while it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by 60WordsPerHour View Post
                  I actually think it IS one of the best-written shows on TV. And that's up against some pretty stiff competition.
                  There are a lot of fun twists and plot developments. But the dialogue is frequently on-the-nose, sometimes painfully so. I can't count how many times I cringed in the last episode due to that fact. But Cookie's amazing enough to get me past it

Comment

For example, the prison jam that Terrence Howard recorded. That was awesome - - as good as any hip hop song in recent memory and, damn, it's just part of a TV show. These aren't covers. The songs are original music.
                    The music is definitely hot. Having Timbaland as the producer was a stroke of genius.

Comment

Working...
                    X