X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nearing completion - what's next?

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
    BTW, thanks for all the advice.

As to rewriting, I've been doing little else since I started this project. As often as not, I try to read the whole script through but seldom get past scene 5 or 6 because I always find things that need to be changed. Particularly the dialogue.

What I lack is precisely the sort of people you're telling me I need. Who could read the text and mark things that could be improved. I know some people who have had novels published. Perhaps I should ask them.

Merlin
    This happens to many screenwriters. Act One has been rewriting 100 times and pages 25-100 got nothing.

Got to tell yourself, I'm going to read this whole thing and take big sweeping notes of what doesn't work.

Then you can focus on fixing big things.

Then you can go back and focus on only dialogue. Then dialogue of one character.

Then fixing up action lines.

Then rereading the entire thing again.

By the way printing the script out really makes you see mistakes you wouldn't see otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      By the way printing the script out really makes you see mistakes you wouldn't see otherwise.
      I always do that.
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I USED to always print them out. I think I lost that simple practice. I will start it again.

I'm so old, I remember when scripts were on paper! And I had to talk about how to bind them and what cover stock to use!

I actually sent scripts to people in the mail!

Same with film editing. I used a Steenbeck first.

I think all that old school stuff does make you appreciate more Final Draft and Final Cut Pro... and always teaches you stuff the younger crowd is missing.

When you have to print out the 164 page script over and over and over and you run out of paper and you can't find brads to bind it, maybe you'll be more likely to trim your script down. Digital PDF you can write 300 page scripts, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
          I USED to always print them out. I think I lost that simple practice. I will start it again.

I'm so old, I remember when scripts were on paper! And I had to talk about how to bind them and what cover stock to use!

I actually sent scripts to people in the mail!

Same with film editing. I used a Steenbeck first.

I think all that old school stuff does make you appreciate more Final Draft and Final Cut Pro... and always teaches you stuff the younger crowd is missing.

When you have to print out the 164 page script over and over and over and you run out of paper and you can't find brads to bind it, maybe you'll be more likely to trim your script down. Digital PDF you can write 300 page scripts, no problem.
          HAHA! (you get an extra "HA!" on that one...) no sh!t, right?

I do remember the brads days, but I was in music back then. Still, I was reading client's scripts, even back then, and giving notes. Why'd it take me so long to say "Wait... hmmmm... should I try writing something?" No idea...

I do miss the days where the agency printed it with the cover and title on the spine. Felt cool to hold the script in hand all nice and neat. My favorite LOOK was Resolution's all black covers, looked rad! I saved my drafts in that format for the fukk of it. Just looks cool. Even though all of them have since been edited a billion times.
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Now to actually answer your question:

-Once you feel your script is ready, you need to get it out there. This usually means submitting it to a manager (don't bother with agents at this point). This very website has a great section for paying members that lists just about every management company out there along with email addresses. Done Deal Pro also has a great section where you can read about script sales dating back several years, which you can research by genre, production company, agency and more. Very useful. So for instance, if you wrote a comedy, you can do a search by "comedy" and find the best reps to target.

-Some writers prefer to target production companies directly. This website also has those lists (another good resource for research is IMDPro, which is more expensive). There are also places like Virtual Pitch Fest where you can directly send a pitch to producers, agents, managers etc., for a fee.

-What do you send? You do NOT send a script. You write a kick-ass query with a logline (capsule description) and short letter. Make sure the object / subject in your email is catchy. Check the logline / query section in these forums for inspiration.

-This website also includes free examples of queries, contracts and stuff like that.

-Submitting your script to contests is also a good way to get it out there. If you place in some of the top contests, it will be easier to get reps to read your material.

-Search these forums for info on all of this: script reading services, contests, agents, etc.

-Of course rewrite your script, but don't let the advice here discourage you. Send it out after your first or second rewrite and see what happens! And def. show friends and family. Everybody today has grown up watching thousands of hours of content. They will know intuitively when things feel wrong with a story or character, even if some of the more technical or structural or creative / literary aspects of a script escape them.

Good luck!
            Last edited by Rantanplan; 08-21-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X