No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Developing a script with a new director

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post

So my advice on this topic has changed 180 degrees from what I would have said a decade ago. If you have a great idea for a script based on very famous material that you don't control, go ahead and write it.
    Keith, I respectfully disagree.

First, if it's very famous material - someone probably owns the rights. My guess is that Universal wouldn't be pleased if they found out I wrote 50 Shades of Grey on spec just in case Kelly Marcel bombs it. What do you think the reaction will be when I start sending that out as my sample?

Second, adapting something you don't have the rights to is an incredible waste of time. I actually think that my writing has value. If I'm working in Final Draft, I want to be paid to do it or I'm doing it on the come that I think I can sell what I'm creating. Spending time writing something with rights complications limits who can buy. A better approach would be to write something that does have a chance to sell. And even if it doesn't, if it's fresh and original - that writer can get work.
    https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

There's already plenty of bad amateur advice in this thread, but do you know what it's still missing?

Annoying cat pics.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
        Keith, I respectfully disagree.

First, if it's very famous material - someone probably owns the rights. My guess is that Universal wouldn't be pleased if they found out I wrote 50 Shades of Grey on spec just in case Kelly Marcel bombs it. What do you think the reaction will be when I start sending that out as my sample?

Second, adapting something you don't have the rights to is an incredible waste of time. I actually think that my writing has value. If I'm working in Final Draft, I want to be paid to do it or I'm doing it on the come that I think I can sell what I'm creating. Spending time writing something with rights complications limits who can buy. A better approach would be to write something that does have a chance to sell. And even if it doesn't, if it's fresh and original - that writer can get work.
        But you aren't actually saying anything that I haven't already accepted as a given. I agree that you won't be able to sell this piece of writing. But you might be able to sell yourself as a writer. You might be able to increase the likelihood of getting people to read and pass around your script.

If you don't want to do that, then fine. I'm just pointing out an alternative to the conventional wisdom. And my alternative also happens to coincide with several of the hot scripts over the last few years written by people outside the system.

Conventional wisdom is that it's better to write a great script that has a chance of selling. Unconventional wisdom is that if you write Muppet Man or Super Max or Seuss or Chewie, it might get more people to read your script, and it might lead to more work even thought you can't sell the spec.

It's an alternative approach to the aspiring writer spec. Writing to make a splash, not to make a sale. If you look at it from a big picture, it was the norm in TV writing for years. Ironically now TV has shifted to original pilots, and now feature execs/reps are more willing to read writing samples based on material the writer doesn't control.

At least that's what I see from my perspective as a producer and an executive. If I'm reading a writing sample it doesn't matter to me if I can't make it because another studio owns the script or I can't make it because another studio owns the underlying material. Either way I can't make this movie, but I can evaluate the quality of the writing.

Something to keep in mind is that I tend to be a bit of a contrarian on a lot of conventional Hollywood wisdom. I suspect most film professionals would disagree with me. But that's not stopping them from reading MUPPET MAN.

Comment

xx
          Last edited by Writerperson12; 04-25-2023, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
            But you aren't actually saying anything that I haven't already accepted as a given. I agree that you won't be able to sell this piece of writing. But you might be able to sell yourself as a writer. You might be able to increase the likelihood of getting people to read and pass around your script.

If you don't want to do that, then fine. I'm just pointing out an alternative to the conventional wisdom. And my alternative also happens to coincide with several of the hot scripts over the last few years written by people outside the system.

Conventional wisdom is that it's better to write a great script that has a chance of selling. Unconventional wisdom is that if you write Muppet Man or Super Max or Seuss or Chewie, it might get more people to read your script, and it might lead to more work even thought you can't sell the spec.

It's an alternative approach to the aspiring writer spec. Writing to make a splash, not to make a sale. If you look at it from a big picture, it was the norm in TV writing for years. Ironically now TV has shifted to original pilots, and now feature execs/reps are more willing to read writing samples based on material the writer doesn't control.

At least that's what I see from my perspective as a producer and an executive. If I'm reading a writing sample it doesn't matter to me if I can't make it because another studio owns the script or I can't make it because another studio owns the underlying material. Either way I can't make this movie, but I can evaluate the quality of the writing.

Something to keep in mind is that I tend to be a bit of a contrarian on a lot of conventional Hollywood wisdom. I suspect most film professionals would disagree with me. But that's not stopping them from reading MUPPET MAN.

Muppet Man - biopic.
            Suess - biopic.
            Chewie - making of Star Wars/Biopic
            Super Max - no clue what that is. Was it an adaptation of source material?

None of these are adaptations - which was my point. I'm advising writers against doing straight adaptations of source material.

If a writer wants to put a clever spin on an IP creator's life - go for it! (Chances are it still won't sell and I continue to think it's better to write something ORIGINAL.) If a writer wants to adapt 50 Shades of Grey - don't!

Do you see the difference? No agent is going to send out a spec adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey.

Comment

Muppet Man - biopic.
              Suess - biopic.

None of these are adaptations - which was my point. I'm advising writers against doing straight adaptations of source material.

If a writer wants to put a clever spin on an IP creator's life - go for it! (Chances are it still won't sell and I continue to think it's better to write something ORIGINAL.) If a writer wants to adapt 50 Shades of Grey - don't!

Do you see the difference? No agent is going to send out a spec adaptation of 50 Shades of Grey.
              Yes. It sounds like we agree.

Comment

Muppet Man - biopic.
                Suess - biopic.

This is the original quote you responded to:

I developed a project with a commercial director based on an IP we don't own
                Didn't say it was an adaptation of a novel.

And Supermax, as I said before, was a story based on DC comics Green Arrow.

But all this is off topic. I thought initially that this is what OP was doing, but now I reread it and realize it was his own idea. If you'd like, we can continue discussing it in a new thread or via PM.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Oh sorry... just assumed after I read your blog.

http://www.bambookillers.blogspot.co...-vacation.html

There's this book, see, that I love more than any other book. It's a project I want very badly that has gone around and around Hollywood for many years and never gotten the green light because nobody has ever been able to crack the script. Word is, the project is completely dead. They stopped trying.

But maybe - just maybe - if I finish it and it's good, we can take it to the producers who own the rights. And maybe - just maybe - if they see a finished script that blows them away, they'll bring this project back to life. Dream achieved.

Happy to start a new topic on this subject!

Comment

Here you go. New thread: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...198#post850198

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post

BDZ, of course you make a good point. But you don't think OP should be able to sell the script he writes even if the studio doesn't want the director?
                      I think he shouldn't get involved with the director. He's making demands, he's possibly a nobody...I don't see the upside.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                        I definitely agree with BattleDolphinZero that I don't know shi!t.
                        I don't know **** either.

I do know people always try to muscle people off projects be it producers, directors, actors, whatever.

So if you commit to this guy -- and your script is good -- you will hate yourself.

Comment

You guys DO know that 50 Shades of Grey, in and of itself, began as an unauthorized adaptation of source material, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                            You guys DO know that 50 Shades of Grey, in and of itself, began as an unauthorized adaptation of source material, right?
                            I did not know that. TWILIGHT. Holy **** it all makes sense now.

FWIW, my first spec was a Stripes-style parody of Star Trek that was pretty careless in its use of Paramount's IP. It placed in several contests and opened a lot of doors for me. Still hoping to set it up as a parallel franchise at Paramount (I also hope to grow wings and fart gold), but you can bet I haven't made that rookie mistake again.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                              I knew that. But I don't always see things in black and white anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                                I think he shouldn't get involved with the director. He's making demands, he's possibly a nobody...I don't see the upside.
                                Oh. Yeah, in that case I totally agree with you since it's OP's idea anyway and the director doesn't seem to really have a plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X