Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Looking better. What most directors (especially Lucas) don't realize is that CGI is too fake-looking to create a true sense of wonder. For eg. Jurassic Park (1993) made me feel like I was at a real dinosaur park. But John Carter made me feel like I was sitting in a hot movie theatre watching a video game set in a desert.

The very best will find ways to blend the real and the virtual to teleport you to those distant lands -- Cameron, Spielberg, Nolan -- and make you "feel like you're actually there."

Of course, having a coherent plot will drastically increase the sense of realism and wonder.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The thing is, no matter how perfect the CG, if you know they built something for real it still carries a different weight to it. You don't have to believe, you know, and that's not the same thing at all.

Rewatching the prequels, the CG is just dating rather badly, it looks like the Rebels TV series in areas in terms of the overall tone, which is not good for a live-action film. It's especially bad in the second film, Attack of the Clones, that battle of Geonosis is just so fake looking with its lighting.

I think the new films look promising even if some of the spoilers I've read don't enthuse me much about the actual story. Still, it's nice just to explore that world and see it recreated again, I think since Return of the Jedi I have more liked exploring the world of Star Wars rather than the actual stories within it, which invariably fall into the category of 'do not need to be told'.

Comment

Working...
      X