Clear All

Re: Super 8 = E.T.?

I haven't seen the first 7 films...

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I absolutely have no idea why people seem to think Super 8 is equal to, or better than, E.T. That's absurd.

Just on a basic craft level of writing and directing, Super 8 is nowhere near E.T. Maybe if the comparison was between Super 8 and Invaders from Mars...now that I could see since the level of craft of both movies is about the same.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
        I absolutely have no idea why people seem to think Super 8 is equal to, or better than, E.T. That's absurd.

Just on a basic craft level of writing and directing, Super 8 is nowhere near E.T. Maybe if the comparison was between Super 8 and Invaders from Mars...now that I could see since the level of craft of both movies is about the same.

HH
        Agreed. JJ made a film about his childhood - and a homage to his ifol and friend, Steven Shpellyberg (a big factor in his childhood) but it just goes to show that he isn't Shpellyberg.
        M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
          It's as if Abram's took E.T. and did a simple substitution - change one monster for another, different town, different kids. Same premise, structure, themes, same motifs and symbolism.
          Not in the slightest. No, no, never!

And Spielberg wouldn't have anything as ridiculous as a man driving headlong into a train and surviving, all limbs intact, with just a few cuts on his head.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by AriG View Post
            Sure, it reminded me of ET, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, THE GOONIES and possibly STAND BY ME but it still tried something different...just didn't succeed for whatever reason.

Anyway, SUPER 8 still generated $259,936,677 worldwide from a $50 mil budget...so it's safe to assume there will be a sequel in the works sometime in the future.
            Unless if it follows those movies... by NOT having a sequel

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
              Unless if it follows those movies... by NOT having a sequel
              Damn straight, it shouldn't have one. Not every film has to be franchise-material.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                And Spielberg wouldn't have anything as ridiculous as a man driving headlong into a train and surviving, all limbs intact, with just a few cuts on his head.
                Love that someone else has said this! And I think this is the difference between big budget movies written in the 1980s and those written now. That such a glaring error of logic could be included would never have happened in E.T. Not to mention that a small pickup truck could never have derailed a 500-car train travelling at that rate of speed--and without this incident there is no movie because the alien does not escape.

Furthermore, I thought it was silly how the entire train yard seems to explode but the kids avoid all the flying debris, cars, etc. Not a scratch on them and the car they came in is also completely untouched, just kind of parked to the side.
                Quato Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by AriG View Post
                  a $50 mil budget...
                  It seems like no one is taking that budget seriously.

but still with adding the actual VFX budget and the advertising budget it most likely made a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                    I absolutely have no idea why people seem to think Super 8 is equal to, or better than, E.T.
                    Because E.T. is an extremely ordinary story.

And because I cared a hell of a lot more for the kids in Super 8 than I did for anyone in E.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                      Because E.T. is an extremely ordinary story.

And because I cared a hell of a lot more for the kids in Super 8 than I did for anyone in E.T.
                      But that's because you're still pissed that your wife died and you had to drag your house all the way to Paradise Falls. Trust me, you loved E.T. before all that crap with Russell and Muntz.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                        ...a man driving headlong into a train and surviving, all limbs intact, with just a few cuts on his head.
                        Yeah, that's when it totally lost me too. The train is completely destroyed but not the pickup or its fragile passenger?

Comment

I liked it alot (possibly due to lowered expectations) but one thing jumped out at me. A military dude takes the kids necklace, puts it in his pocket. Kid goes 'No!' Then at the end, the necklace is pulled out of the kid's pocket toward the water tower. The heck? When did he get it back?

I guess it's similar to ET in that it's about an alien trying to go home and humans preventing that because we're dicks. Kinda what District 9 was about too.
                          "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                          - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

The monster ate people and it still got away - isn't that breaking a screenwriting rule?

Comment

Originally posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
                              The monster ate people and it still got away - isn't that breaking a screenwriting rule?
                              There are no rules. There is only what works and what does not work.

If there is any rule, it is "Do what works".

Super 8 worked, for the most part.

Comment

I saw this a couple of weeks ago on DVD. It lost me right from the beginning. That way over-the-top train explosion, & the guy surviving being hit by a train really took me out of it.

And I find movie kids almost always annoying & unrealistic. Like in this movie.

Last time I saw ET it seemed really slow to me, but it's a much better film.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Working...
                                X