No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl Fellowships 2011: Reader Line of the Day

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
    Well, okay. Just feels like they could go one step further with it. Indeed, if scripts that don't make the QF round get those comments, that's even more reason to do some kind of release of the script name. It could show someone that not making the QF round is a bit random, and one could also use that comment to stir up interest on the script. As in, "Dear Agent X, my script did not advance in the Nicholl this year, but I was fortunate to have a script that ellicited one of the top reader comments for the contest year: here is that comment..." Every little bit helps.
    Here's an explanation offered by Nicholl in their Facebook comments...

Other than the posted comment lines, the competition does not offer reader feedback to entrants. We feel that asking judges to write comments knowing they will be seen by entrants would cause them to alter their comments, perhaps not being as honest as they otherwise would be.
    Essentially, the Reader Line of the Day is a fun thing, but it is not going to affect the fact that they are not going to provide feedback directly to the writers.

Comment

Today's reader excerpt:

"Tough, violent, and razor sharp, what this script lacks in originality, it more than makes up for in pure adrenaline. The writer does a great job of making the reader care about the characters, creating dialogue that is fresh and believable. . . . Added to this, the action the characters are thrust into is brutally effective."

Comment

Originally posted by _M_ View Post
        Today's reader excerpt:

"Tough, violent, and razor sharp, what this script lacks in originality, it more than makes up for in pure adrenaline. The writer does a great job of making the reader care about the characters, creating dialogue that is fresh and believable. . . . Added to this, the action the characters are thrust into is brutally effective."
        I think that's my romantic comedy.
        Last edited by carcar; 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM. Reason: Kidding. I did not enter a romantic comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by _M_ View Post
          Today's reader excerpt:

I was about to celebrate but then I realized I didn't submit that script this year

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
            no. as you will see in coming weeks -- they post various comments that have very little to do with the quality of the script. and that comment to an agent will not get you anywhere but in the trash bin.
            I'm not so sure it would go in the trash bin. How do you know? So much goes in the trash bin for a variety of reasons, it's impossible to know whether that might help or hurt.

Let's say two queries come in. One is I have a new spec, etc. etc. Another is I have a new spec and it got this comment from a Nicholl judge. It suddenly makes one script stand out a bit. Maybe it does go in the trash, but I don't see it as an instant query killer. That's me.

I never meant that Nicholl judges should or would offer feedback, but if a writer could use an effusive comment from a Nicholl judge (the judge would remain unnamed) to boost his or her script, why not.

It's obviously not going to happen, but I think it makes the practice of offering these comments a little more meaningful other than the fun guessing game people seem to go through thinking that a great comment might be referring to their script.
            Quato Lives!

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
              The thread from last year isn't the way you describe it... http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=54911
              lol! but it's how i remember it; which in the moviemaking business is all that counts

Comment

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
                I'm not so sure it would go in the trash bin. How do you know? So much goes in the trash bin for a variety of reasons, it's impossible to know whether that might help or hurt.

Let's say two queries come in. One is I have a new spec, etc. etc. Another is I have a new spec and it got this comment from a Nicholl judge. It suddenly makes one script stand out a bit. Maybe it does go in the trash, but I don't see it as an instant query killer. That's me.
                don't take everything people say around here so literally. if it's speculation then that's what it is.
                more speculation: one would never receive 2 queries, they would receive 200 and some of them will be finalists so your "comments" made on a fb page will be lost and your query in the trash bin with 99% of the other queries.

but i feel ya' bro. i remember last year... people were complaining b/c some of the comments were too generic for anyone to know if it might be there's... one comment was so specific that it had to be mine. i was definitely overjoyed! that was a good feeling and i hope it happens again.

Comment

I seem to remember Greg Beal also stating at some point last year that only the positive comments would be posted, not negative ones. I wouldn't mind for a few negative ones to be posted to give an insight as to why certain scripts get rejected.

For example, if a few negative comments get posted that say the script's dialogue was poor, it might get ALL of the entrants to go back and examine their own dialogue and see if it needs punching up, thus making for a better script in the long run. Yes, I realize writers should be doing that anyway, but seeing a negative remark from a Nicholl judge can bring the idea home to a writer.

Also, I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that judges would alter their comments if they were sent back to the original writer. Since the judge would remain anonymous, there's really no reason why he or she would need to alter their comments to spare the writer's feelings. Again, learning why one's script was rejected can be as invaluable in the long run as advancing in the contest.

Anyway, my 2 cents. Nicholl is under no obligation to do any of this other than read the scripts, so seeing even just the positive comments is fun and a great way to pass the time between now and my rejection letter.

Comment

Originally posted by glantern2814 View Post
                    I wouldn't mind for a few negative ones to be posted to give an insight as to why certain scripts get rejected.

For example, if a few negative comments get posted that say the script's dialogue was poor, it might get ALL of the entrants to go back and examine their own dialogue and see if it needs punching up, thus making for a better script in the long run. Yes, I realize writers should be doing that anyway, but seeing a negative remark from a Nicholl judge can bring the idea home to a writer.
                    You want some negative comments:

Barely readable. Out of format. Doesn't tell a story. Written in a language that only resembles English. Poorly crafted. Has no clue how to write a screenplay. Starts the "real" story on page 56. Filled with clunky dialogue. A romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor funny. Nothing happens. Totally lacking in conflict. Filled with cardboard characters. 80 pages in, I still didn't know what the script was supposed to be about. Intriguing premise poorly executed. Lacking any discernible structure. Not a movie. . . .

That's the tip of the iceberg.

Originally posted by glantern2814 View Post
                    Also, I'm not sure if I agree with the idea that judges would alter their comments if they were sent back to the original writer. Since the judge would remain anonymous, there's really no reason why he or she would need to alter their comments to spare the writer's feelings. Again, learning why one's script was rejected can be as invaluable in the long run as advancing in the contest.
                    Have you ever read any production company or studio coverage in which the reader goes off on the script? That would probably not happen if the reader knew that the coverage were going to be shared with the writer. In most instances, the coverage would remain negative but would be much kinder and gentler.

I don't need readers to go off on scripts, but I do want them to be honest. If they start pulling punches because their comments will be seen by entrants, that will change their relationship with the scripts they are judging.

Have you ever read agency coverage, especially when done for agency clients? I know readers who have been forced to rewrite coverage to make it kinder and gentler. I do not want anything resembling that situation to occur with Nicholl readers.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                      You want some negative comments:

Barely readable. Out of format. Doesn't tell a story. Written in a language that only resembles English. Poorly crafted. Has no clue how to write a screenplay. Starts the "real" story on page 56. Filled with clunky dialogue. A romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor funny. Nothing happens. Totally lacking in conflict. Filled with cardboard characters. 80 pages in, I still didn't know what the script was supposed to be about. Intriguing premise poorly executed. Lacking any discernible structure. Not a movie. . . .

That's the tip of the iceberg.
                      Gee, thanks a lot, Greg. You didn't have to use my script's judge's comments as your example.
                      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Yeah I prefer thinking the positive comments are mine rather than the negatives. Some people here are just masochists methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                          Yeah I prefer thinking the positive comments are mine rather than the negatives. Some people here are just masochists methinks.
                          Is there any other kind of screenwriter?

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                            Have you ever read any production company or studio coverage in which the reader goes off on the script? That would probably not happen if the reader knew that the coverage were going to be shared with the writer. In most instances, the coverage would remain negative but would be much kinder and gentler.

I don't need readers to go off on scripts, but I do want them to be honest. If they start pulling punches because their comments will be seen by entrants, that will change their relationship with the scripts they are judging.

Have you ever read agency coverage, especially when done for agency clients? I know readers who have been forced to rewrite coverage to make it kinder and gentler. I do not want anything resembling that situation to occur with Nicholl readers.
                            To back this up, I've seen the guidelines given to readers in a couple of notable contests where the feedback is given to writers, and it's true that the readers are encouraged to pull punches and mince words.

Comment

[quote=gregbeal;744564]You want some negative comments:

quote]

Somehow I like this romantic comedy. You can call it poorly crafted or no clue but it's like a chunk of real life. Real life is poorly crafted and neither romantic nor funny too. And, as opposed to real life, some Hollywood movies are so "plastic and fantastic" that it's even boring sometimes.

Comment

Today's excerpt:

"A fun romp from start to finish. . . . The dialogue has snap and bite and there are some truly entertaining exchanges. While not a plot to be taken seriously, it is a plot that never lets up, right up to a rousing, well written climax."

Comment

Working...
                                X