Orphan Black on BBC America: Damn...what a premise.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan Black on BBC America: Damn...what a premise.

If you're home on Saturdays, check out this show about a street hustler who learns she's part of a group of clones targeted for extermination. Sounds like "X-Files" meets "The Prisoner". Love Felix, the protagonist's foster brother, who's definitely up there with Oscar Martinez from "The Office" and John Cooper from "Southland" as a strong gay character.

www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Orphan Black on BBC America: Damn...what a premise.

Yeah, it's a fun show, if for no other reason than watching Tatiana Maslany play multiple roles. I'd never seen her in anything before, but she is a pretty good actress, as she manages to make all her characters stand out including with several different accents. I liked Felix at first, though his over-the-top antics have become annoying. Come to think of it, I dislike most of the male characters: the dead girl's boyfriend and the detective come to mind. It's an interesting contrast because most of the shows I watch have the poorly-drawn/unlikable characters being the women.

Comment

I like this show a lot. I definitely want to see what happens next. I liked Felix until this last episode. While he was babysitting, he insisted on cross dressing the kids. That is exactly the negative stereotype people have of gay men - they're all trying to turn your children gay. I did not care for it. It's okay for a gay character to be something other than gay for five minutes. Being gay seems to be his entire identity.
      Last edited by emily blake; 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Love the show, hated the kid cross-dressing thing, and I saw the "twist" from the last episode coming (at least part of it but I missed the part of it that was telegraphed earlier).
        I'm really anxious to learn why Beth committed suicide and why in front of Sarah.
        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
          I'd never seen her in anything before
          Not even Ginger Snaps 2?

Comment

Allison is by far my favorite character. I'd watch a short just about her.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
              Allison is by far my favorite character. I'd watch a short just about her.

She's all flavors of crazy.
              Last edited by Madbandit; 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
                I'm really anxious to learn why Beth committed suicide and why in front of Sarah.

Hope you saw episodes five and six (the sixth is my favorite, so far) to get the answer to your first question. The second: just a coincidence.

Comment

Hands down, the most unpredictable show I've come across. Matt Frewer could rip his face off and be a green-scaled alien and I'd totally buy it at this point. That in itself is a rare pleasure, so it's even better that I dig these characters and love the premise.
                  Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by ReneC View Post
                    Hands down, the most unpredictable show I've come across.
                    I wouldn't go that far (have you seen Breaking Bad?), but it's a fun show. Tatiana continues to impress: I hope they make a push for an Emmy nomination, because she is fantastic and brings depth to every one of her roles. Helena cutting off Olivier's tail was one of my favorite moments in the series, up there with Alison torturing her husband last week.

Comment

Anyone else watch the finale? I loved it for the most part. Hope we see even more clones next season. Tatiana better get an Emmy nom at least, and in my opinion she should win despite the talent in the category. Claire Danes, Keri Russell, Vera Farmiga...all of them are terrific, but none of them does what Tatiana does, and none of their shows depends on a single actress as much as ORPHAN BLACK.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice View Post
                        Anyone else watch the finale? I loved it for the most part. Hope we see even more clones next season. Tatiana better get an Emmy nom at least, and in my opinion she should win despite the talent in the category. Claire Danes, Keri Russell, Vera Farmiga...all of them are terrific, but none of them does what Tatiana does, and none of their shows depends on a single actress as much as ORPHAN BLACK.

I saw it last week. It was pretty good. On his tweet, Comic Patton Oswalt agrees with you. So do I. https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt

Alan Sepinwall wrote a nice essay about the show's season finale and the show itself. http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...down-the-drain
                        Last edited by Madbandit; 06-07-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I guess I'll have to record some eps and watch. The pilot turned me off because it barely touched upon the concept. I figured if they couldn't even bother to mention clones, the rest of the series probably would be chockful of screenwriting mistakes.

But there's a lot of love for this show. Wonderful to see a Canadian-led production getting so much buzz.

Comment

So Season 2 will have more about the mystery of Kira...and we have to wait until fall 2014 for it. Bloody hell, that's a long break for a 10-episode show.
                            Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Well, season 2 certainly started off running. Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X