Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl Fellowship 2012 open for submissions

If it doesn't trouble you, it shouldn't trouble anyone else. So we're all good.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      If it doesn't trouble you, it shouldn't trouble anyone else. So we're all good.
      Very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
        Except for the first line, and the last two, you are absolutely right. Those are exactly the thoughts that run through my head. So it doesn't trouble me to hear it from you. But when you write something like that, which relates to the kind of doubts and struggles that most of us experience as we try to break into this difficult business, you're putting down all non-working writers on this board.
        You keep trying to lump everyone together in opposition to Jeff Lowell. You did it when you called him a bully and you did it again above.

To tie it back to the topic of this thread, most of the thousands of people who enter the Nicholl will never make a penny from screenwriting. That's not an insult. It's just the truth.

Comment

Aspirant, given you've confirmed Jeff's post, a quick question - you've still been writing other specs in the meantime, right? Or are you full time on this project with your reps?

Comment

It's done, Rhodi. Start another thread that doesn't contain "Nicholl Fellowship 2012" in the title.

HH

Comment

The thing is, about getting paid, the outcome of getting paid is seeing your work on a screen. There is another whole consciousness of the craft that opens up with that.

So, considering how much of his own work he's seen on a screen, and in diverse mediums no less, Mr Lowell would find this constant confrontation annoying.

I don't even understand what the conversation is about, dashes, spaces?

A lot of producers I know are actually slightly more intrigued when a screenplay has its own appearance. A certain uniqueness. It reminds them they're in the presence of a writer, not just a bunch of words a program pushed together.

These contest readers are unnatural gatekeepers. They aren't decision makers. They don't know what they're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                Aspirant, given you've confirmed Jeff's post, a quick question - you've still been writing other specs in the meantime, right? Or are you full time on this project with your reps?
                Seems like he's been too busy being the Voice of God here on DD to get anything done.
                "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Tips for beating screen addiction:

Between Internet research, email, Facebook, TVs, cell phones and GPS navigators, the average American spends 8.5 hours a day staring at various screens.

Here are some signs to watch out for to determine if you are just adapting to technology or have a screen addiction:

Putting off social activities or meals because of computer activity

Spending large amounts of money for online services

Preoccupation with Internet

Experiencing withdrawal symptoms of moodiness or restlessness if you attempt to cut back on your screen time

Getting angry or violent if your computer, or other electronic device malfunctions

Obsessively checking your email or needing to have the TV on all day

Escaping or avoiding actual problems through excessive Internet surfing

Lying about the amount of time you spend using various electronic devices

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo View Post
                    Seems like he's been too busy being the Voice of God here on DD to get anything done.
                    That's a below the belt comment. As Jeff has acknowledged, Aspirant provides some excellent advice for up and coming writers on landing representation and working with managers.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      Question for Greg...

Not sure if this has already been asked, since I skipped over a number of pages (for obvious reasons), but would it be a good idea to submit a newer, better draft of what I submitted last year? Are there any disadvantages to this or will it be treated as if it were a new entry?

Of course I'll be submitting a fresh script as well; just wanted to know if this would be worth the money and effort.

Thanks.
                      Every script, whether it's a first-time entry or has been entered ten times previously, is treated the same.

With prior entries, we try to make sure that they're not read by a reader or judge who has read them previously. If a writer enters with the exact same title, the system excludes them from the potential pool of scripts that can be assigned to a reader who has read the script before. If a writer enters a previously entered script with a new title, the system warns us when a reader has read the writer before, and we won't assign the script to that reader.

Many writers have done quite well with resubmitted scripts, including a number of Nicholl winners. Many writers have also not fared so well with resubmitted scripts, often despite being certain that the new draft is much better than the earlier version.

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
                        The thing is, about getting paid, the outcome of getting paid is seeing your work on a screen. There is another whole consciousness of the craft that opens up with that.
                        So you're saying you've seen your work on the silver screen, then, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                          A quick question - you've still been writing other specs in the meantime, right? Or are you full time on this project with your reps?
                          Rhodi: to answer your question, yes, when I'm not making seemingly-endless revisions to my current script, interacting with my reps, or playing God here on Done Deal (apologies to JoJo), I have been working on my next spec, which is always a good idea.

HH is right. This has gone on long enough -- too long, in fact -- and it's the wrong thread. I'm sorry for perpetuating it. Sometimes once you get drawn into these things, it's hard to get out. If Jeff or anyone else wants to have the last word, it's all yours. I'm done.

Comment

Well, it was in one of those fashionable older theaters, where they sometimes show more commercial films. But mostly art house.

I've had a bit on tv. A short series. Some animation that had an international release.

I found my early experiences of seeing my work on a screen painful. Maybe painful isn't the right word. Shockingly painful. Maybe devastating is better.

All of your mistakes, right there, in technicolor. All at once. For everyone to see. But I'm still uncomfortable seeing my own work.

Maybe I'm just tortured.

Comment

And please leave me out of this now. I don't really want to join in the conversation. I don't have any advice for anyone.

As far as screenwriting rules go:

Separate scenes with sluglines, a new shot gets a new sentence, and only describe what is being seen and heard.

Other than that, there are no rules that I've ever heard of. Another writer once told me that it's good to spend some time letting the audience get to know your main character, and I think it was a tip that served me well, but I don't think it's a rule.

Comment

I find it funny that there's an 8-page argument over whether there should be 2 spaces after a full stop or not.

I have a script I wrote with a fantastic co-writer that is being packaged as we speak. Close to two-dozen industry people have read (and mostly liked) our little script. Production assistants, producers, agents, managers, directors, and actors have read it. We've had notes out the wazoo and up the Yin Yang. Seems like everybody and their secretary has had ideas on how to improve or tweak the script.

Not one single note pertained to our use of one space after a full stop. Allow me to broaden my statement a bit: Not one single note or comment from anyone who has read our script, from industry folks to grandma, has pertained to formatting of any kind.

Allow that to sink in a bit.

Perhaps our formatting is just that rock solid. But considering the large range of formatting choices available out there for every minute detail, you'd think we'd have put a bur up someone's patookiss if industry folks cared about formatting as much as some of you claim. Every single formatting "suggestion" I've received for any of my scripts have all come from random people on the Internet with unverified credentials.

The only real guidelines are these:

1. Write a good story with well-drawn characters.

2. Get the general formatting down and you're gonna be fine. Minute formatting details be damned if you have bullet #1 locked down tight. Your script is gonna be rewritten before production anyway. If you want to focus on the minute formatting details, then create your own consistent style and run with it.

3. You can ignore bullet #2 sometimes when you feel like it... and on Fridays. **** Formatting Fridays.

There are broad trends that you can follow in screenwriting, but that just helps suggest that there are no hard rules if they are so fluid as to form "trends."
                                Last edited by Shaken_Vesper; 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM.
                                Shaken, not stirred.

Comment

Working...
                                X