New interview with 5 managers on managing writers...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New interview with 5 managers on managing writers...

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
    Yep. And, actually, an agent is never really necessary.
    To close a single deal? Maybe not.

To grow a successful longterm career? A good agent is essential.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
      To close a single deal? Maybe not.

To grow a successful longterm career? A good agent is essential.
      I was talking about the deal.

Comment

Let's just say, EJ talked to my manager more than I have in a year. So always remember talk is cheap and it's a personal situation.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
          I was talking about the deal.
          The word "never" through me off, I guess.
          "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
            The word "never" through me off, I guess.
            Fair enough!

Comment

And i meant "threw"!!!

Rough weekend on the 9alt front.

Comment

No worries, Joe. I've discovered that Facebook is deleting words from my posts and PMs.
                Last edited by SuperScribe; 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM. Reason: because only bad comedians explain the joke

Comment

Thanks for posting this interview. It's always interesting to get multiple views about the biz from the people trying to make deals for their clients and how they see the way to doing this.

In my experience with having had a manager, and an agent, it all boils down to finding the right person to work with you and your material. And you having the understanding of what you need to do as a writer to keep them motivated as well.

23/7
                  macy

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas
                    I agree with this. The handful of professional writers I've had the benefit of knowing have actually told me once they established themselves, it was the manager they let go of.
                    I couldn't express a spherical opinion on this. I guess it bolts down to what one wants from his/her career. I, for example, do not wish to end up as a gun-for-hire. All the romanticism, and the fun, will be gone then.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Great interview, EJ. Great questions. Very enlightening.

Seriously, many thanks.

Mat.
                      I'm a product of everything I've ever experienced ... I need to get out more!

Comment

Also ...

The whole interview was extremely informative, but one line that Trevor Engelson made really hit resonance with me:

“What do I see on the horizon for managers and writers alike?” For good writers and good managers, it’s a simple answer: “A lot of ****ing money.”
                        A few years back, I approached one of the top agents here in the UK for representation and although he liked the scripts, he said "my style was too American to sell here and that as a UK writer I ought to focus more on writing UK TV soaps. That's where the 'bread and butter' is."

My reply was quite simple, "who wants 'bread and butter'? I already have that. I want to make money!"

So it's good to see some managers (and agents, I guess) still expect a bit more return for their effort!

Cheers,

Mat.

Comment

MM, I'm not surprised the UK agent said that. When I moved to London in the late 70s my theatre/film/TV agent had me strictly writing one-off TV plays for a market that was, at the time, very open to them. It was, in fact, a golden age for British TV, and everyone was moonlighting as a TV writer--playwrights, novelists, even university dons. It led to a commission to adapt my first novel for a UK company (with a substantial credit to its name), but that fell apart due to funding.

The feeling was that the British film industry was then, as it is now, in a very precarious state, and though it did have its brief moment of success following "Chariots of Fire", it never really got back on its feet.

I should add that we were also encouraged to write radio dramas. Not a lot of money back then in TV or radio, but because it was much, much cheaper to live in the UK in those days (the most I ever paid in rent in my five+ years there was around £27/week), enough to help you scrape by.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Mat View Post
                            ... he said "my style was too American to sell here and that as a UK writer I ought to focus more on writing UK TV soaps...
                            I have been told exactly the same thing...

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

as a UK writer I ought to focus more on writing UK TV soaps
                              But that's just it, I can't. I don't watch them. I have no interest in them whatsoever. So how could I possibly write for them?

The irony being was that I'd just arrived back from LA having spoken to a couple of American industry professionals (not agents or managers) about getting representation in LA and they suggested I get in touch with this guy as he was UK based, but had good LA connections and was extremely well-respected. So that's what I did ...

... only to find out that he considered that side of his agency far too much effort and was re-focusing the agency to concentrate more on representing writers who want to just write TV stuff, i.e. 'bread and butter' for him!

Can't say I really blame him, but ... just my luck!

Oh well, c'est la vie!

The feeling was that the British film industry was then, as it is now, in a very precarious state,
                              Yep, it's damn hard to get a $multi-multi-million movie off the ground in the UK, even though they shoot so many at Pinewood, Shepperton, Levesden, etc, etc, etc!

And in case I may have given the wrong idea (and I'm certainly not suggesting that that is what Jake was saying), but I have absolutely no problem with the prospect of only earning 'tick-over' from my screenwriting ...

... but when a top UK screenwriting agent implies that the only money to be had is in writing soaps, me thinks it's time to buy another plane ticket to LA.

All the best,

Mat.

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the interview Mat.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                                X