No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Office

Originally posted by dangerouscreenwriter View Post
    Was a casual viewer of "The Office", but Spader's cameo last season was hysterical & smart. I watched last night, mostly out of curiosity if they could sustain the comic brilliance & they did (pleasant surprise).

Smart move on the writers'/creators' part to replace one of the biggest morons on television with his polar opposite, a smugly confident genius.

Must see tv for me from now on. "If I called you a winner prove me right, if I called you a loser prove me wrong", the look on everyone's faces was priceless!
    Yeah but Andy is basically like Michael Scott-lite. Spader won't be on there forever.

Comment

Oh my. Andy overload.

Comment

I didn't laugh much. I think maybe it's time to hang it up.
        Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          I didn't laugh much. I think maybe it's time to hang it up.
          I may (and by may I mean I still have small threads of hope) be starting to agree with you...

Everyone working together for the points system to get Andy's ass tattooed was somewhat funny, but the rest of the episode???

I'm still trying to feel out this season, see where it goes. I think the writers are as well.
          INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
          Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

I miss Michael Scott
            si

Comment

So now The Office has just 2 episodes left...
              It was like one of the only network shows I watched.
              It shall be missed.

But what I'm wondering now is...

Who is the Scranton strangler?!?!

Comment

It was weird how they never seemed to even try to fill the void left by the Micheal Scott character. At times, I felt like I was watching Cheers with only Carla, Cliff, Rebecca and Pete left.

It's a shame because they had Bob Odenkirk do a cameo as a Micheal Scott-like boss and you could see the potential there. Why'd they replace him with an aloof, vaguely creepy enigma like Spader? Really made no sense. Not what the audience signed on for.

Why must American shows be run into the goddamn ground every time? Doesn't anyone believe in going out on top? Dying with some damn dignity? The original office only did two seasons plus the Christmas special. What season in America on? Eight?

PS, Dr. G:
                Toby visited the Strangler in prison. No mystery there. The guy they got is the strangler apparently.
                "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                  It was weird how they never seemed to even try to fill the void left by the Micheal Scott character. At times, I felt like I was watching Cheers with only Carla, Cliff, Rebecca and Pete left.

It's a shame because they had Bob Odenkirk do a cameo as a Micheal Scott-like boss and you could see the potential there. Why'd they replace him with an aloof, vaguely creepy enigma like Spader? Really made no sense. Not what the audience signed on for.

Why must American shows be run into the goddamn ground every time? Doesn't anyone believe in going out on top? Dying with some damn dignity? The original office only did two seasons plus the Christmas special. What season in America on? Eight?

PS, Dr. G:
                  Toby visited the Strangler in prison. No mystery there. The guy they got is the strangler apparently.
                  Ninth season.

As for shows "being run into the ground", I don't know about that. When you have great characters on a show, the show becomes a staple. Different sensibilities are obvious when it comes to TV audiences on a global scale, and just because a show's short-lived, it doesn't mean the show was (or wasn't) great. "Happy Days" was still a hit show after it "jumped the shark" (the guy who invented that phrase should be beaten to death with a tire iron). "Arrested Development" was a darling of both critics and cults, but it got shot down (only to be resurrected seven years later). Even a big-shot TV network had to be for forced to renew "Chuck" by its rabid fans.

Having a scripted TV show on the air for a long while is getting rare nowadays (thanks a lot, reality TV), and we're all poorer for it.
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                    Ninth season.

As for shows "being run into the ground", I don't know about that. When you have great characters on a show, the show becomes a staple. Different sensibilities are obvious when it comes to TV audiences on a global scale, and just because a show's short-lived, it doesn't mean the show was (or wasn't) great. "Happy Days" was still a hit show after it "jumped the shark" (the guy who invented that phrase should be beaten to death with a tire iron). "Arrested Development" was a darling of both critics and cults, but it got shot down (only to be resurrected seven years later). Even a big-shot TV network had to be for forced to renew "Chuck" by its rabid fans.

Having a scripted TV show on the air for a long while is getting rare nowadays (thanks a lot, reality TV), and we're all poorer for it.
                    Jon Hein invented that phrase. And the man's a genius. Ba ba Booey!
                    "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                    - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                      Jon Hein invented that phrase. And the man's a genius. Ba ba Booey!
                      If he was a genius, he'd created his own scripted TV show...
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I agree that this show was once upon a time "must-see TV." If you're NBC, though, and the ratings are there, why would you say no? It's like McDonalds phasing out the Big Mac. They better have a damn good replacement item.
                        #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                          I agree that this show was once upon a time "must-see TV." If you're NBC, though, and the ratings are there, why would you say no? It's like McDonalds phasing out the Big Mac. They better have a damn good replacement item.
                          Agreed. With "30 Rock" also gone, the only anchor sitcom they got is "Parks & Recreation" ("Office Lite", it should be called and I don't know if "Community" will stay or head to USA or go belly up). The thing is the network has been so frustrating in their decision-making (the Jay Leno 10pm fiasco, not giving the two-decade old "Law & Order" a nice swansong, trying to "extend" the mojo of past hits likes "Seinfeld" and "Friends", which, to me, were...for lack of a kinder word...white-breaded, and undermining the cult hit "Chuck", etc.), I don't want to watch the network, despite having "SVU", "Hannibal" and "Revolution".

And things are not getting any better since Parker Posey already went AWOL on her new show for the network....jeez....

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                            and I don't know if "Community" will stay or head to USA or go belly up.
                            This quote per Gillian Jacobs... "Season 5 is alive"...

Comment

Fitting conclusion to the entire series?

Thoughts?

Gray haired Michael Scott?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                                Fitting conclusion to the entire series?

Thoughts?

Gray haired Michael Scott?
                                I thought there were some very funny moments that reminded me of how funny the show used to be.

The general feeling I got was kind of bittersweet that it was over. The show has really suffered without Steve Carell and that becomes even more obvious when you see the clips of his antics or when he shows up for his brief scenes. But even though it's been average to weak for the past few years (aside from Dwight's storylines which were always high quality funny), I still didn't really want it to end. So, it was kind of like saying good-bye to someone in hospice that you had a lot of fun with back in the day.

As far as "FINAL EPISODES" goes, I don't think The Office finale will rank up there with some of the most memorable of all time. But it went out sort of documentary/real life style where a big reveal or some other climactic moment would seem out of place and fake. I was sort of expecting a MASH style "Good-bye" shaped out of paper boxes or some other final event like that, but I guess the point was that these character's lives keep on keeping on after the cameras are gone.

The only character resolution I thought was kind of stupid was Erin finding her parents. Andy's was played kind of weird as well. And I never cared about the sports marketing job stuff because it was never clear what exactly it was that they were doing or how Jim could go in and out of it, but I guess that doesn't matter since it wasn't really the point. Creed has always been my favorite character, so I loved his whole story.

Obviously, they went for "touching" in the end which is understandable since that's kind of a hallmark of the show, but in reality, at least to me, the show would usually just miss on the sentimentality that they were going for (although sometimes they would definitely nail it--usually involving Michael Scott or Jim/Pam romance). Could they have done something or shown certain clips to put a lump in my throat? Honestly, they probably could have, but for whatever reason, the finale didn't quite get me there, although I can understand if it did for others.
                                On Twitter @DeadManSkipping

Comment

Working...
                                X