No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vice

Looking forward to this one: Vice

P.S. — Whoever edited the trailer on this link is worthy of an Oscar nomination (if only!).
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: Vice

Politics aside, this does look like a film to see based on all the elements of filmmaking including acting, directing, and screenwriting.

But I wonder how much of it is factual and how much is fiction. And does that really matter? Artistic liberty, suspension of disbelief, and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
      Politics aside, this does look like a film to see based on all the elements of filmmaking including acting, directing, and screenwriting.

But I wonder how much of it is factual and how much is fiction. And does that really matter? Artistic liberty, suspension of disbelief, and all that.
      Personally, I don’t take my history lessons from the movies, nor do I subscribe to the notion that a movie about real people has to be 100% accurate (as long as the writers can legally get by with it). History is written mostly by the victors, and in newspaper parlance, that’s a helluva slant. Sometimes, though, filmmakers read between the lines of those histories, see clearly the subtext of what’s been ‘written in stone,’ and deliver an eye-opening, thought-provoking, mind-bending alternative that is a more plausible reality. Having witnessed the part of U.S. political history that Vice depicts makes it all the more compelling for me to see it.

The trailer for Vice promises quite a lot, and it has whetted my appetite to se the film. After The Big Short and American Hustle, It’s good to see many of the actors from those two films as actors in this film as part of the next best thing to a traveling troupe of top talent.
      Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-28-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I too am looking forward to this one. I personally love watching Sam Rockwell's performances. He really morphs into his character whether it's the insane, horrible inmate in The Green Mile, the lonely man in Moon, or Guy in Galaxy Quest, Sam really puts his whole heart into his roles.

Sam really seems (from the trailers) to channel "junior" in this upcoming film.

I also like Christan Bale, but I keep expecting him to grab G.W. B. by the throat and in his best batman voice scream "Where are they!" Which brings up a question hubby and I have always had about Bale's batman, why is it he always seems to not know where anyone or anything is? He is always screaming, "where are they, where is she, where is it?". Batman is supposed to be very smart, but Bale's batman is clueless as to where anything is. I bet it's hell around the house when he loses his keys. lol

Comment

Today I saw Vice. It did not let me down AT ALL and it was every bit as great as I had hoped it would be. It’s definitely worth the price of admission (and then some).
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-28-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

I'm heartened to hear you liked it, TigerFang. Maybe this is one I can take my 70+ mother to and she'll like it? She can handle drama, history, heavy subjects but doesn't like vulgar comedy or too much violence.

Comment

I like the double meaning of the title.
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                I'm heartened to hear you liked it, TigerFang. Maybe this is one I can take my 70+ mother to and she'll like it? She can handle drama, history, heavy subjects but doesn't like vulgar comedy or too much violence.
                Your mother lived through the political fray depicted and, I hope, will enjoy the characters portrayed in it. There's some subtle imagery about fishing and politicking that occurs and barely enough of it for some to make the connection. But, “The race is not won to the swift but to the one who endureth ’til the end.”— Ecclesiastes 9:11 (an ironically appropriate verse number), yet the swift will understand it, too, and so will your mother if she “endureth ’til the end.” There’s not a lot of cursing, but there is some, and there’s very little violence (the Cheney character fires a shotgun for about 1.5 seconds but no one is killed). Lots of wartime news video but little to no gore. Vice seems “Mom friendly” to me, but please note that I’m merely a regular consumer of films except that I want to screenwrite one. I have no experience as a film critic, nor have I earned a degree related to film or cinema studies. My report can only tell you whether or not for me the roller coaster ride was enjoyable, but (like anyone else) I like to believe that I can choose a good roller coaster ride.

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                I like the double meaning of the title.
                Spot on, isn’t it? I would like to know what was the process for its selection and what any of the other title candidates might have been. In all fairness — a thing that seems not to exist in real-life politics — “vice” seems to be part of politics in any nation. A biopic of any politician in any party of any country is bound to include some shady dealings now and then; “The Crown” highlights some political hijinks and shenanigans very well.

In Vice, Director Adam McKay shows once again that he knows how to tackle complicated and complex subjects and characters, break them down to a simplified ballet of images, action, and dialogue in order to convey them so that anyone can understand them, both superficially and subtextually. What’s most enjoyable in Vice is McKay’s sense of timing and placement of humor — albeit mostly dark humor in this case — just when the seemingly most sinister moments are highlighted and just when comic relief is most welcome to the audience, whether it be light comic relief or dark comic relief.
                Last edited by Clint Hill; 12-28-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Jon, it's factual. I remember the events happening. When the subject of Valerie Plame came up for a moment, my friend gasped and whispered. "Did he kill her?!" I calmed her down with a quick whisper. From seeing Valerie on new shows back in the day, I knew her whole story, including that she and I graduated from the same university. The film rings true to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Joaneasley View Post
                    Jon, it's factual. I remember the events happening. When the subject of Valerie Plame came up for a moment, my friend gasped and whispered. "Did he kill her?!" I calmed her down with a quick whisper. From seeing Valerie on new shows back in the day, I knew her whole story, including that she and I graduated from the same university. The film rings true to me.
                    Good to hear it rang true for you, Joan. With that and TigerFang's comments, it's definitely on my must see list.

Comment

Very, very good movie. The best horror flick of 2018, IMO.
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I thought Sam Rockwell was hilarious.
                        Story Structure 1
                        Story Structure 2
                        Story Structure 3

Comment

Working...
                        X