No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing documentaries on beloved shows

Hi all,

This is a sort of an extension on another thread (Never Surrender: a galaxy quest doc).

I wanted to start a thread where we can share our favorite documentaries we have seen or want to see that discuss or explore some of our favorite tv shows. Also include movie docs here too if you want even though this is under the tv topic.

I have already mentioned on the galaxy quest thread the doc "Life after Flash" which gave me the idea to start this thread.

I saw one today that was just wonderful that came out last year called "What we left behind: Looking back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine". It is a fan-funded doc done thru indie gogo.

This is a well put together doc about the making of ds9. I love all the star trek series (except Discovery, only because I haven't seen much of it to be honest) and ds9 had some great stories that touched a lot of hard topics, more so than the star trek's that came before or in conjunction with.

They even bring back a handful of the lead writers to come up with what they would do for the first episode of season 8 if they were to make it, which was pretty interesting to watch. I love to watch other writers brainstorm in real time.

Be sure to stay thru the credits as well.

I have always felt that every school should have one class a day where the students watch a star trek episode and then have a discussion afterward. Start with the original series and then go in the order they came out, up to Enterprise. Start young with the original since it is the most innocent, say like age 9 which would be grade 4 or 5, then work up till you start with the more adult topics in high school, which is where ds9 would fall in, like freshman year.

I have always thought of star trek as morality plays, and kids need this kind of thing. It could help them understand issues in a mature way instead of what some shows teach nowadays, which is "get angry, get revenge, fight, etc.". Star trek classes could teach kids a better way to deal, a more positive way. IMO.

Re: Amazing documentaries on beloved shows

Hi all,

Just saw another wonderful documentary that I wanted to share here. It is called "Keepers of the Magic" (2016)
    It isn't about a particular film or tv show, it is about the cinematography of many classicly beautiful films and the cinematographers/DP's.

They each talk about certain shots, the directors, the story, and their own philosophy about light and color.

I absolutely loved this doc. As a writer I can appreciate the cinematographer visually bringing the words to reality.

Vittorio Storaro (who did the filming of The Last Emperor, Reds, Apocalypse Now, The Conformist, etc.) is one of my faves. His thoughts on certain colors conveying emotion is brilliant.

If you want something great to watch please check out this doc.

Comment

Re: Amazing documentaries on beloved shows

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
      Hi all,

Just saw another wonderful documentary that I wanted to share here. It is called "Keepers of the Magic" (2016)
      It isn't about a particular film or tv show, it is about the cinematography of many classicly beautiful films and the cinematographers/DP's.

They each talk about certain shots, the directors, the story, and their own philosophy about light and color.

I absolutely loved this doc. As a writer I can appreciate the cinematographer visually bringing the words to reality.

Vittorio Storaro (who did the filming of The Last Emperor, Reds, Apocalypse Now, The Conformist, etc.) is one of my faves. His thoughts on certain colors conveying emotion is brilliant.

If you want something great to watch please check out this doc.
      This sounds great. Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to check it out.

Comment

Working...
      X